Would you rather live in Des Moines, Iowa or Jacksonville, Florida? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:53:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in Des Moines, Iowa or Jacksonville, Florida? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you rather live in Des Moines, Iowa or Jacksonville, Florida?
Des Moines

Jacksonville

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Would you rather live in Des Moines, Iowa or Jacksonville, Florida?  (Read 1969 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 21, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »

Des Moines.

Smaller cities that still have strong amenities, a livable and logical layout, and that are sanely designed and have solid public transit and a diversity of weather are far preferable to sprawly Sun Belt hellholes.

Curious how traininthedistance is going to vote for this...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 01:14:06 AM »

Uh, you do realize Des Moines has plenty of sprawly suburbs too right? It's just that the actual city is much nicer. In fact Des Moines has an interesting distinction in that the city proper on the northern city limits cuts off right where the sprawl begins, and there's a spread of unincorporated territory between it and its northern suburbs, (which is actually where the motel I stayed at while I was there was located), which helps keep it insulated from the terribleness.

FWIW, Des Moines streets are more narrow than Minneapolis', and unlike in Minneapolis parking is allowed on only one side on the majority of them, which can be annoying, but is still the more urban way to go. Not saying it's more urban as a whole, but I did find that rather noteworthy about it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 01:22:42 AM »

Though I don't share with the Atlas fetish of small, cold, white, liberal hipster cities

That's...a terrible description of Des Moines. Madison or Iowa City, maybe, but Des Moines?

Perhaps most amusing about that description is the fact that Des Moines isn't even all that white. It's almost a third non-white in fact.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies