Admitting my alcoholism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:32:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Admitting my alcoholism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Admitting my alcoholism  (Read 2427 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« on: December 21, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »

i am an atheist.  and an aa 'member.'
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »

I've heard mixed reviews about AA, and honestly I don't think it would be a good fit for you given the Bushie-like emphasis on how no one can do anything unless God/Higher Power enables them to.

Inpatient rehab supposedly has better results, but it's also expensive as hell and health insurance is reluctant to pay for it.

inpatient rehab is great.  but...when you get out you are still an alcoholic.  that is where aa comes in.

as for the bushie-like emphasis on god/higher power, i havent seen much of that.  sure the big book is a product of its time (im not a big book thumper).  and yes some aa people get really hard core into the god thing.  if that keeps them sober, i dont think it is a bad thing.  those people are the minority though.  

granted lexington mass isnt choctaw oklahoma. so aa in other parts of the country may certainly be more centered on 'god.'

i would suggest young persons meetings for hockeydude.  aa tends to skew pretty old.  im typically the youngest or one of the youngest persons in every meeting i go to...and im 37!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »

and as others have stated, it is very important to see a professional.

there is no way i could have remained sober for over 6 years now without treatment for my underlying mental illnesses.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies