Should Virginia Abolish their Independent Cities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:37:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Should Virginia Abolish their Independent Cities?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should Virginia Abolish their Independent Cities?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should Virginia Abolish their Independent Cities?  (Read 8389 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »

Yes, I've made it quite clear how much I hate amalgamation. Do you really want your city to turnout like Jacksonville?

Do you want your city to turn out like Camden?

I'd rather turn out like Camden than Jacksonville.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

Yes, I've made it quite clear how much I hate amalgamation. Do you really want your city to turnout like Jacksonville?

As would I; but the fear in these parts we're more likely to turn into Jacksonville than we were turning into Camden, prior to amalgamation. In Toronto, the suburbs are actually more Camden-like than the old city. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2014, 06:32:44 PM by traininthedistance »

As would I; but the fear in these parts we're more likely to turn into Jacksonville than we were turning into Camden, prior to amalgamation. In Toronto, the suburbs are actually more Camden-like than the old city.  

I utterly fail to see any plausible mechanism by which Jacksonville would turn into an urbanist paradise if only it was a tiny entity surrounded by a patchwork of tiny suburbs.  If anything, "beggar-thy-neighbor" competition seems to me like it would make the situation worse.  I mean– has the fact that Atlanta is super penned in done anything to help the urban form of the metro area?  Come on.  All it's done is make sure that MARTA doesn't go where it needs to go.

Whereas I do see a potential path by which, if say Camden City and County were merged, the region's tax-base sharing and comprehensive planning would forestall or at least ameliorate the extreme disinvestment in an area that currently has no plausible way to pay its bills.

And also it would eliminate the insanity of multiple golf courses who like to be their own municipalities so they can make their own rules.  I mean, I'm sorry Hatman, if you were from NJ even you would see the light on this issue. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »

If you were from, Canada, you would understand the horrors of amalgamation. As for Jacksonville, it's a lost cause.

I agree that if Camden and it's county had a stronger county government and a weaker municipal government, it would be better off. The answer is to not eliminate the city of Camden, it's to make it weaker entity.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »

Oh Canada, where not even the Capital has it's own thing. Every other democracy seems to...but nope not Ottawa.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »

Oh Canada, where not even the Capital has it's own thing. Every other democracy seems to...but nope not Ottawa.

Not sure how this came up, but this is a very incorrect statement. You will see that this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_districts_and_territories contains just 24 entries, several of which are not even democracies.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »

Obviously Ottawa or Halifax style amalgamation incorporating rural areas is dumb. But balkanizing a metro area, thus making metropolitan governance and planning much more difficult, is even worse.

I really do not see what is wrong with the amalgamation of Toronto, for example. The only argument I've seen against it really is that it was a plan to gerrymander the city conservative--but considering that greater Toronto is a right-wing area, that's sort of tough luck. Toronto (and in this sense I include Pickering and Oshawa and Scarborough, which are as much a part of the city as downtown) is a right-wing city.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »

Obviously Ottawa or Halifax style amalgamation incorporating rural areas is dumb. But balkanizing a metro area, thus making metropolitan governance and planning much more difficult, is even worse.

I really do not see what is wrong with the amalgamation of Toronto, for example. The only argument I've seen against it really is that it was a plan to gerrymander the city conservative--but considering that greater Toronto is a right-wing area, that's sort of tough luck. Toronto (and in this sense I include Pickering and Oshawa and Scarborough, which are as much a part of the city as downtown) is a right-wing city.

Two words: Rob Ford. Also, Mel Lastman, and now John Tory. Toronto is an extremely polarized city. It has no business being amalgamated as one municipality.

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »

Two words: Rob Ford. Also, Mel Lastman, and now John Tory. Toronto is an extremely polarized city. It has no business being amalgamated as one municipality.

It sounds like Canada's version of Cincinnati, in that regard.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »

Again, these conservative voters are what the average Torontian wants. Your position is a bit like someone who wants to carve up Idaho so that the Democrats in Blaine County can elect a lefty--except Idaho is a much less logical entity than a fully amalgamated Greater Toronto.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 01:05:52 AM »

The actual residents of Camden disagree, I'm sure.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 01:43:41 AM »

I would go the New England style and abolish the counties Smiley

Seriously, I do not see a problem either way. The entire discussion seems to be contrived.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 07:43:16 AM »

Seriously, I do not see a problem either way. The entire discussion seems to be contrived.

To VA's credit they have when all the county was in an independent city as has happened in the Hampton Roads area (eg. Elizabeth City county -> Hampton city; Nansemond county -> Suffolk city; Norfolk county -> Chesapeake city; Princess Anne county -> Virginia Beach city; Warwick county -> Newport News city; though some of these went through other cities before consolidation)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »

The problem is that unlike in New England, not everyone in Virginia lives in a town.  Many people live in unincorporated areas of a county.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies