Should Virginia Abolish their Independent Cities? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:37:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Should Virginia Abolish their Independent Cities? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Virginia Abolish their Independent Cities?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should Virginia Abolish their Independent Cities?  (Read 8414 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: December 21, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »

In an ideal world, yes, because cities would annex their entire metro.

In a more realistic sense, I think getting rid of independent cities seems a little counterproductive. I think what would be instead preferable would be consolidating some of the cities in the Hampton Roads area--all the small municipal units are generally detrimental to the region's profile as a major US metro area-- the urban and inner suburban parts should be merged into one unit. The fact that Virginia Beach is considered the center of the metro is kind of bizarre, IMO.

As for the rest of the state, I'd retain most of the independent cities, along with liberalizing annexation laws.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »

Obviously Ottawa or Halifax style amalgamation incorporating rural areas is dumb. But balkanizing a metro area, thus making metropolitan governance and planning much more difficult, is even worse.

I really do not see what is wrong with the amalgamation of Toronto, for example. The only argument I've seen against it really is that it was a plan to gerrymander the city conservative--but considering that greater Toronto is a right-wing area, that's sort of tough luck. Toronto (and in this sense I include Pickering and Oshawa and Scarborough, which are as much a part of the city as downtown) is a right-wing city.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »

Obviously Ottawa or Halifax style amalgamation incorporating rural areas is dumb. But balkanizing a metro area, thus making metropolitan governance and planning much more difficult, is even worse.

I really do not see what is wrong with the amalgamation of Toronto, for example. The only argument I've seen against it really is that it was a plan to gerrymander the city conservative--but considering that greater Toronto is a right-wing area, that's sort of tough luck. Toronto (and in this sense I include Pickering and Oshawa and Scarborough, which are as much a part of the city as downtown) is a right-wing city.

Two words: Rob Ford. Also, Mel Lastman, and now John Tory. Toronto is an extremely polarized city. It has no business being amalgamated as one municipality.

Again, these conservative voters are what the average Torontian wants. Your position is a bit like someone who wants to carve up Idaho so that the Democrats in Blaine County can elect a lefty--except Idaho is a much less logical entity than a fully amalgamated Greater Toronto.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies