Don't tell the racist southern bigots, but.......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:32:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Don't tell the racist southern bigots, but.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Don't tell the racist southern bigots, but.......  (Read 1603 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »

They're probably part BLACK.  Oh my!!

Many Americans who call themselves white might be surprised to find out that they have some African ancestry. Especially in the South:
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »

Everyone has African ancestry, so no surprise.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »

Yeah.  I mean, I have Arkansan ancestors, so I was almost surprised when I got my 23andMe results back and I didn't have any African ancestry.  It's been really interesting, though, when I get genetic cousins who are black (which, given my ancestry, presumably means that some distant relative of mine had a dalliance with a slave; or the link is far back enough that it doesn't really show up in my DNA).  It really makes me sad how apologetic some of their messages are.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »

not remotely a surprise. If we applied the one-drop rule in reverse, pretty much American blacks would be white except for a few recent migrants.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »

That means Southerners should begin calling liberals racist whenever they call us ignorant, knuckle-dragging, tea-bagging, redneck cavemen bigots en masse. I've always been perplexed at the PC double standard espoused by many on the left.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:13:50 PM »

Those darn liberal science lies.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »

No biggie. They'll turn this around and say, "Voter ID isn't racist. It isn't disenfranchising African-Americans. Why, I'm African-American and see nothing wrong with it!"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »

And then there's the interesting fact that blacks seem to be the only ones without Neanderthal ancestry.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »

About 18,000 years ago (the time of the Last Glacial Maximum) there were practically no modern humans in Europe. Ice sheets reached the modern-day sites of London, Berlin, and Warsaw. To the south of the ice sheets as far as the Pyrenees, Alps, Carpathians, and Caucasus  was either polar desert  or a terrain known as steppe-tundra (sparse tufts of grass in appearing among lichens and mosses). The Hungarian Plain was practically desert, and the Mediterranean Basin was cold, dry steppe to cold desert.

Europe and the Middle East got populated largely from East Africa as glacial conditions abated... and the people entering from Africa looked much like modern Ethiopians and Somalis.   
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »

That means Southerners should begin calling liberals racist whenever they call us ignorant, knuckle-dragging, tea-bagging, redneck cavemen bigots en masse. I've always been perplexed at the PC double standard espoused by many on the left.

The elitist mentality that so many on the liberal side have about the American South is remarkable.  They could learn a thing or two about manners and being dignified had they ever traveled south of the Mason-Dixon. 

I am treated worse by the self-annointed tolerant "LGBT" crowd in California than I am by cultural conservative Americans in the South.

Maybe some diversity training is needed on the left so they don't have so much antipathy and stereotypes towards America
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »

About 18,000 years ago (the time of the Last Glacial Maximum) there were practically no modern humans in Europe. Ice sheets reached the modern-day sites of London, Berlin, and Warsaw. To the south of the ice sheets as far as the Pyrenees, Alps, Carpathians, and Caucasus  was either polar desert  or a terrain known as steppe-tundra (sparse tufts of grass in appearing among lichens and mosses). The Hungarian Plain was practically desert, and the Mediterranean Basin was cold, dry steppe to cold desert.

Europe and the Middle East got populated largely from East Africa as glacial conditions abated... and the people entering from Africa looked much like modern Ethiopians and Somalis.   
That's what I meant.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »

And then there's the interesting fact that blacks seem to be the only ones without Neanderthal ancestry.

Most American Blacks probably do though.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »

The elitist mentality that so many on the liberal side have about the American South is remarkable.  They could learn a thing or two about manners and being dignified had they ever traveled south of the Mason-Dixon. 

I am treated worse by the self-annointed tolerant "LGBT" crowd in California than I am by cultural conservative Americans in the South.

Maybe some diversity training is needed on the left so they don't have so much antipathy and stereotypes towards America

Much of it is about politics -- and we find plenty of people who would rather live in a place where people drive on the left side of the road than live in the 'wrong' part of America, where the political monsters live. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »

African blacks likely have no Neanderthal ancestry.

On Who Do You Think You Are?, the football star Emmet Smith was surprised to find from a genealogist that having slightly less than 10% Caucasoid ancestry was unusually rare for Americans descended from slaves -- indeed that almost all such Americans had more Caucasoid ancestry.   
CountryClassSF

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have no problem with leftists feeling that way.  Keeps the House in GOP control.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 03:19:52 PM »

I thought this was rather well known, I'm not sure you really will surprise most White southerners, by suggesting that they had a black ancestor in the 19th or 18th century. Maybe you would surprise them if you said it was their grandfather.... maybe.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2014, 03:32:27 PM by ingemann »

African blacks likely have no Neanderthal ancestry.

On Who Do You Think You Are?, the football star Emmet Smith was surprised to find from a genealogist that having slightly less than 10% Caucasoid ancestry was unusually rare for Americans descended from slaves -- indeed that almost all such Americans had more Caucasoid ancestry.  

The Neanderthal ancestory exist in all Eurasian populations, and it's also found among some African groups, like the North Africans and the population of East Africa from Sudan to Somalia (who's part of the Eurasian population, and in fact if we define them by their genes they're black skinned Caucasians, rather than a distinct African population).

So the African-Americans a group which usual have between 15-30% White ancestry (through some African-American populations like the island population of the Gullah have as low as 2% White ancestry) is likely to have inherent Neanderthal genes from their White ancestors.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »

I'm assuming no one who said this wasn't a surprise isn't a Southern Bigot.

These fellas would die if they thought the one drop rule might apply to them.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »

Yep, not really a surprise.

There was a white supremacist a year ago that found out he's 14% sub-Saharan African. It was hilarious.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »

Yep, not really a surprise.

There was a white supremacist a year ago that found out he's 14% sub-Saharan African. It was hilarious.

lol
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies