The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread (Part 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:43:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread (Part 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 55
Author Topic: The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread (Part 2)  (Read 194747 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 25, 2015, 08:07:57 PM »

From Ehrlich's trip to NH this week:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20150225/GJNEWS_01/150229681/0/SEARCH

You must be logged in to read this quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #401 on: February 25, 2015, 10:28:07 PM »

We already knew that Webb was visiting Iowa in April, but this lengthy profile of Webb says he'll also be visiting New Hampshire and South Carolina "this spring":

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/here-comes-trouble-20150213

Haha, I read this article a couple days ago.

But I only attack strawmen.  Nobody really thinks Webb has a chance. Wink
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #402 on: February 26, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »

He's not running.  He hasn't built any sort of national organization, he hasn't been traveling around the country to secure bundelers and operatives, and wouldn't even be that strong a candidate.  He is just enjoying the attention.

Will be on the top of the list for certain candidates to be the VP

I doubt it, he'd be a pretty weak VP pick on multiple levels.

Weak VP choice, huh?! In a state thats crucial to win for republicans a two term governor that has good approval ratings would be a weak VP choice??? He would be on many potential republicans short list for VP that's for sure.

If either Walker or Rubio get the nominee you can be sure they both take a VERY serious look at him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #403 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »

He's not running.  He hasn't built any sort of national organization, he hasn't been traveling around the country to secure bundelers and operatives, and wouldn't even be that strong a candidate.  He is just enjoying the attention.

Weak VP choice, huh?! In a state thats crucial to win for republicans a two term governor that has good approval ratings would be a weak VP choice??? He would be on many potential republicans short list for VP that's for sure.

If either Walker or Rubio get the nominee you can be sure they both take a VERY serious look at him.

There's no evidence that VP's increase the share of a vote in their homestate-it's been tried by several candidates-Nixon/Lodge:lost Massachusetts. Kerry/Edwards: lost North Carolina. Dukakis/Betsen: lost Texas. Romney/Ryan:lost Wisconsin 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

Walker and Kasich hate each other and even if that weren't the case, Walker isn't going to pick another fiercely anti-union Governor from the Midwest with no foreign policy credentials who won't even help that much in his (Kasich's) home state.  Kasich isn't nearly as popular here as 2014 suggests (he didn't actually perform that much better than in 2010 in terms of his actual vote total, it's just that about 800,000 Strickland voters didn't show up to vote because of how awful FitzGerald was).  Plus, Kasich is extremely abrasive, not polished enough, wants to abolish the income tax, and was in charge of Lehmann Brothers' investment banking division when it filed for bankruptcy in 2008 (among other things).  Most importantly, he'd only provide a minimal boost in Ohio (and possibly not even that) and wouldn't significantly improve the Republican nominee's chances in the state.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #405 on: February 26, 2015, 11:30:14 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2015, 11:32:08 AM by 2016election »

He's not running.  He hasn't built any sort of national organization, he hasn't been traveling around the country to secure bundelers and operatives, and wouldn't even be that strong a candidate.  He is just enjoying the attention.

Walker and Kasich hate each other and even if that weren't the case, Walker isn't going to pick another fiercely anti-union Governor from the Midwest with no foreign policy credentials who won't even help that much in his (Kasich's) home state.  Kasich isn't nearly as popular here as 2014 suggests (he didn't actually perform that much better than in 2010 in terms of his actual vote total, it's just that about 800,000 Strickland voters didn't show up to vote because of how awful FitzGerald was).  Plus, Kasich is extremely abrasive, not polished enough, wants to abolish the income tax, and was in charge of Lehmann Brothers' investment banking division when it filed for bankruptcy in 2008 (among other things).  Most importantly, he'd only provide a minimal boost in Ohio (and possibly not even that) and wouldn't significantly improve the Republican nominee's chances in the state.

He would only help and not hurt.....but yes i do agree he makes little sense for walker, Rubio would make a ton of sense for Walker as his VP.

But for Rubio he would make a ton of sense, to have candidates from two crucial must win states for republicans would only help there chances there (Florida & Ohio).

As for bush I see him picking Susanna Martinez if he gets the nomination.

I don't see anyone else with a realistic chance at actually winning the nomination, it will be one of those three. JMHO of course.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2015, 11:35:55 AM »

He's not running.  He hasn't built any sort of national organization, he hasn't been traveling around the country to secure bundelers and operatives, and wouldn't even be that strong a candidate.  He is just enjoying the attention.

Walker and Kasich hate each other and even if that weren't the case, Walker isn't going to pick another fiercely anti-union Governor from the Midwest with no foreign policy credentials who won't even help that much in his (Kasich's) home state.  Kasich isn't nearly as popular here as 2014 suggests (he didn't actually perform that much better than in 2010 in terms of his actual vote total, it's just that about 800,000 Strickland voters didn't show up to vote because of how awful FitzGerald was).  Plus, Kasich is extremely abrasive, not polished enough, wants to abolish the income tax, and was in charge of Lehmann Brothers' investment banking division when it filed for bankruptcy in 2008 (among other things).  Most importantly, he'd only provide a minimal boost in Ohio (and possibly not even that) and wouldn't significantly improve the Republican nominee's chances in the state.

He would only help and not hurt.....but yes i do agree he makes little sense for walker, Rubio would make a ton of sense for Walker as his VP.

But for Rubio he would make a ton of sense, to have candidates from two crucial must win states for republicans would only help there chances there (Florida & Ohio).

As for bush i see him picking Susanna Martinez if he gets the nomination.

I don't see anyone else with a realistic chance at actually winning the nomination, it will be one of those three. JMHO of course.

Kasich won't secure Ohio for the Republican nominee any more than Ryan secured Wisconsin for Romney.  Martinez won't be the VP pick either, in fact, she's probably never going to run for federal office.  She's seemed pretty set on continuing to take care of her disabled sister and wouldn't be able to do that if she were the Vice-Presidential nominee.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #407 on: February 26, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »

Kasich won't secure Ohio for the Republican nominee any more than Ryan secured Wisconsin for Romney.  Martinez won't be the VP pick either, in fact, she's probably never going to run for federal office.  She's seemed pretty set on continuing to take care of her disabled sister and wouldn't be able to do that if she were the Vice-Presidential nominee.

Ohio IS MUCH more of a swing state than Wisconsin ever was, a couple percentage points there could make a difference.

LOL do you know susanna martinez? Why based on some comments shes made in the past? Yeah politicians never lie. Lets see a candidate win the nomination and see her turn down the VP nominee which would make her arguably the 2nd most powerful person in America and Set up a possible run for presidency in 2024 if republicans win and she is the sitting VP.

Yeah she's going to turn down those opportunities, comical.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »

Ohio IS MUCH more of a swing state than Wisconsin ever was, a couple percentage points there could make a difference.

LOL do you know susanna martinez? Why based on some comments shes made in the past? Yeah politicians never lie. Lets see a candidate win the nomination and see her turn down the VP nominee which would make her arguably the 2nd most powerful person in America and Set up a possible run for presidency in 2024 if republicans win and she is the sitting VP.

Kasich wouldn't add a few percentage points.  At best you'll get somewhere between an extra 0.50% and 1% out of him, but possibly not even that much.  As for Martinez, some politicians are more ambitious than others.  Obviously I don't know her personally (and neither do you, btw), but she wouldn't even agree to being vetted by the Romney campaign in 2012.  She was pretty adamant about not being interested then and I don't see why that would change this time around no matter how much you want her on the ticket.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »

According to DMR's candidate tracker, Fiorina will make another visit to Iowa on March 13-14:

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/iowa-caucus/candidate-tracker/index.php

Santorum will also be in Iowa for an event on March 24, then Jindal on April 3.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #410 on: February 27, 2015, 09:31:29 AM »

Hillary hiring more staff.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #411 on: February 27, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »

Kasich wouldn't add a few percentage points.  At best you'll get somewhere between an extra 0.50% and 1% out of him, but possibly not even that much.  As for Martinez, some politicians are more ambitious than others.  Obviously I don't know her personally (and neither do you, btw), but she wouldn't even agree to being vetted by the Romney campaign in 2012.  She was pretty adamant about not being interested then and I don't see why that would change this time around no matter how much you want her on the ticket.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on both points haha
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #412 on: February 27, 2015, 03:56:58 PM »

Your history knowledge is quite sparse
JRP1994

« Reply #413 on: February 28, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »

Walker and Kasich hate each other and even if that weren't the case, Walker isn't going to pick another fiercely anti-union Governor from the Midwest with no foreign policy credentials who won't even help that much in his (Kasich's) home state.  Kasich isn't nearly as popular here as 2014 suggests (he didn't actually perform that much better than in 2010 in terms of his actual vote total, it's just that about 800,000 Strickland voters didn't show up to vote because of how awful FitzGerald was).  Plus, Kasich is extremely abrasive, not polished enough, wants to abolish the income tax, and was in charge of Lehmann Brothers' investment banking division when it filed for bankruptcy in 2008 (among other things).  Most importantly, he'd only provide a minimal boost in Ohio (and possibly not even that) and wouldn't significantly improve the Republican nominee's chances in the state.

To be fair, it's not like Ohio is D+3 or something. It should be slightly Republican-leaning, so a minimal boost might significantly improve the Republican nominee's chances in the state.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #414 on: February 28, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »

To be fair, it's not like Ohio is D+3 or something. It should be slightly Republican-leaning, so a minimal boost might significantly improve the Republican nominee's chances in the state.

When I say minimal, I mean .50-1.00%, if that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #415 on: March 01, 2015, 06:05:13 AM »

No indication that Pence is preparing for a presidential run:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/twenty-sixteen/mike-pence-isn-t-preparing-to-run-for-president-20150227

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #416 on: March 01, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »

According to DMR's candidate tracker, Fiorina will make another visit to Iowa on March 13-14:

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/iowa-caucus/candidate-tracker/index.php

I don't get it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #417 on: March 01, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »

NYT on the donor primary.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #418 on: March 01, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »

What don't you get?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #419 on: March 01, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »

Hillary's telling donors she'll launch next month.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #420 on: March 01, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »

Get hype, IceSpear.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #421 on: March 01, 2015, 07:16:30 PM »

Wonderful news! April sounds much better than July.

Too bad the article is behind a paywall.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #422 on: March 01, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »

As with all WSJ (& NYT) articles, just Google the headline.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #423 on: March 01, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »

As with all WSJ (& NYT) articles, just Google the headline.

Neat trick, thanks!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #424 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »

Huckabee on a potential run:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/234253-huckabee-2016-decision-forthcoming

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies