The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread (Part 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:22:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread (Part 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 55
Author Topic: The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread (Part 2)  (Read 194632 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 22, 2015, 01:52:14 AM »

Chafee is the biggest joke candidate in the history of joke candidates. Your average county board member has more gravitas than him. It's remarkable he's ever been elected to anything.

Surely at least one of Carly Fiornia, Donald Trump, or Ben Carson is more of a joke.

Carson is not really a joke candidate. The guy is LEADING in GA. Even Trump is polling fifth or so in New Hampshire. Fiorina is the only one of those three who appears to be a complete joke, but even she would get the nomination before that governor from New York with like 12% name recognition. What was his name again? Georgina Pataka or something?

Just because a guy has a lot of support doesn't mean he isn't a joke candidate. How many joke candidate where the frontrunner at some point in 2012?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1051 on: May 22, 2015, 02:49:59 AM »

Chafee is the biggest joke candidate in the history of joke candidates. Your average county board member has more gravitas than him. It's remarkable he's ever been elected to anything.

Surely at least one of Carly Fiornia, Donald Trump, or Ben Carson is more of a joke.

Carson is not really a joke candidate. The guy is LEADING in GA. Even Trump is polling fifth or so in New Hampshire. Fiorina is the only one of those three who appears to be a complete joke, but even she would get the nomination before that governor from New York with like 12% name recognition. What was his name again? Georgina Pataka or something?

Just because a guy has a lot of support doesn't mean he isn't a joke candidate. How many joke candidate where the frontrunner at some point in 2012?

I define a joke candidate as someone who is essentially hopeless in terms of getting the nomination, not someone who is simply inexperienced or unelectable in the GE. Bachmann in say, November 2011, would have qualified. She wouldn't have qualified in august when she was winning the ames straw poll. Carson may qualify in the future, but he doesn't for now.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1052 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:48 PM »

I define a joke candidate as someone who is essentially hopeless in terms of getting the nomination, not someone who is simply inexperienced or unelectable in the GE. Bachmann in say, November 2011, would have qualified. She wouldn't have qualified in august when she was winning the ames straw poll. Carson may qualify in the future, but he doesn't for now.

And Ben Carson is a joke candidate. Even if he won a primary, he would be slaughtered with press and attack ads and would not even get close to the nomination.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1053 on: May 22, 2015, 10:14:10 PM »

This weekend, the GOP candidates are in Oklahoma City for the Southern Republican Leadership Conference.  Some of the speakers include:

http://www.srlc.gop/events/southern-republican-leadership-conference/speakers-c98988953d0f406c8aedc02da46c0a7e.aspx

Bush
Carson
Cruz
Everson
Fiorina
Graham
Jindal
Perry
Rubio
Santorum
Walker

According to this story:

http://swtimes.com/news/politics/three-speakers-added-oklahoma-gop-conference-agenda

Christie and Gilmore will be speaking as well.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1054 on: May 22, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »

They know how to play up to a base and get applause lines at least. Chafee is miraculously boring and doesn't even come across as smart.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1055 on: May 22, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »

And Ben Carson is a joke candidate. Even if he won a primary, he would be slaughtered with press and attack ads and would not even get close to the nomination.

When does GA fall in the primary calendar for 2016?  I'm wondering if Carson would even make it that far?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1056 on: May 22, 2015, 10:32:04 PM »

When does GA fall in the primary calendar for 2016?  I'm wondering if Carson would even make it that far?

The Georgia primary date isn't set yet, because Georgia law gives either the governor or secretary of state (I forget which) the power to unilaterally set the primary date within a certain range, and he hasn't done so yet.

However, everyone is expecting that Georgia will set their primary for Super Tuesday (March 1) this time, since that's when most of the Southern states seem to be clustering.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1057 on: May 23, 2015, 11:13:06 PM »

Looks like Pataki will be running after all.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1058 on: May 24, 2015, 12:34:14 AM »

I stand by my prediction that he has a 0% chance (not close to 0, but real, actual zero) of winning the nomination. But still, welcome to the race, Mr. Pataki.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1059 on: May 24, 2015, 01:16:43 AM »

I stand by my prediction that he has a 0% chance (not close to 0, but real, actual zero) of winning the nomination. But still, welcome to the race, Mr. Pataki.

He'd actually be in a good position if Jeb, Christie and Kasich all collapse (especially since the more conservative wing will be even more divided). He might force his way onto the ticket with a solid performance in New Hampshire at a minimum.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1060 on: May 24, 2015, 02:06:17 AM »

He'd actually be in a good position if Jeb, Christie and Kasich all collapse (especially since the more conservative wing will be even more divided). He might force his way onto the ticket with a solid performance in New Hampshire at a minimum.
I think the best he could hope for was a surprising second or third in New Hampshire, thus making people take him seriously. But I severely doubt this will happen.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1061 on: May 24, 2015, 02:06:32 AM »

Pataki is a shoe-in once Jeb, Walker, Paul, Carson, Christie, Fiorina, Kasich, Cruz, Huckabee, Rubio, and Perry collapse.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1062 on: May 24, 2015, 02:48:21 AM »

Pataki is a shoe-in once Jeb, Walker, Paul, Carson, Christie, Fiorina, Kasich, Cruz, Huckabee, Rubio, and Perry collapse.
Seriously, what chance does he think he has now that he didn't back in 2012? He could've actually won the nomination 4 years ago.
Naveen
« Reply #1063 on: May 24, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »

.Voteran the new fight begins.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1064 on: May 24, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »

Kasich is visiting GA and SC this week and seems close to entering:
http://huff.to/1ReJupB
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1065 on: May 25, 2015, 12:16:45 AM »

Cruz, Huckabee, Carson, and Perry are fighting for a different base of voters, so Pataki only has to win the Moderate primary (plausible) and then win against the Conservative Primary's winner and Rand Paul (much less likely) to get the nomination.

I'd rate his chances at about 10%, same as Fiorina, ahead of Perry, and just behind Kasich.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1066 on: May 25, 2015, 12:51:55 AM »

Cruz, Huckabee, Carson, and Perry are fighting for a different base of voters, so Pataki only has to win the Moderate primary (plausible) and then win against the Conservative Primary's winner and Rand Paul (much less likely) to get the nomination.

I'd rate his chances at about 10%, same as Fiorina, ahead of Perry, and just behind Kasich.

Fiorina has a 10% chance at the nomination? LOLOLOLOL
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1067 on: May 25, 2015, 12:57:45 AM »

Fiorina has a 10% chance at the nomination? LOLOLOLOL

I think the only Republican is DOA at this point is Lindsey Graham.... It's just too unstable to write off anyone else.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1068 on: May 26, 2015, 08:58:31 PM »

Graham is on a trip to Israel, and will meet with Netanyahu on Wednesday:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150526/PC1603/150529457/1177/lindsey-graham-to-meet-with-benjamin-netanyahu-in-israel-on-wednesday

I feel like about 2/3rds of the GOP field has visited Israel in the last two years.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1069 on: May 26, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »

Palin comments on the prospects of a run:

http://extratv.com/2015/05/21/is-sarah-palin-running-for-president-she-gives-details-on-gop-2016-race/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1070 on: May 27, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »

Kasich announcing this summer. Christie doing pre-announcement tour next month.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1071 on: May 27, 2015, 02:05:27 PM »

"Summer."

Maybe Kasich is trying to be a late entry savior candidate.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1072 on: May 27, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »

No joke candidates plz.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1073 on: May 27, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »

As previously noted here, O'Malley's planning to announce his 2016 intentions in Baltimore on Saturday.  Gee, I wonder what he'll decide...given that he's immediately thereafter heading to Iowa and New Hampshire:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/27/martin-omalley-headed-to-iowa-nh-after-2016-announ/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Likewise, Graham is set to announce his intentions on June 1st, and then will be in New Hampshire on June 3rd:

http://www.necn.com/news/politics/New-Hampshire-Candidate-Tracker-295977311.html

That link also notes that Christie has unspecified New Hampshire events coming up on June 4th, 8th, and 18th.  Christie will also be in West Des Moines, Iowa on June 11th:

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/iowa-caucus/candidate-tracker/index.php
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1074 on: May 27, 2015, 09:02:11 PM »

More specifically, it says he "is looking to declare his candidacy sometime after June 30".  Like I said elsewhere, he pretty much has to declare his candidacy by about the first half of July if he wants a shot at a debate invite.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies