NY-11 Special Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:49:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-11 Special Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: NY-11 Special Election Thread  (Read 23720 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »

Staten Island Democrats continue to have their heads up their asses, refuse to take advantage of an issue that causes turnout to rise.

Jesus Christ, these people are incompetent.

Because doing their best to avoid any sort of controversial issue worked out so well in 2014...
Remember Staten Island approves of the Garner decision so running on that, even with the Sharpton mob, would be a losing strategy

At the same time, the only hope of Democrats winning is if minority turnout increases - which is very possible if the Democrats run on Garner.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »

Staten Island Democrats continue to have their heads up their asses, refuse to take advantage of an issue that causes turnout to rise.

Because doing their best to avoid any sort of controversial issue worked out so well in 2014...
Remember Staten Island approves of the Garner decision so running on that, even with the Sharpton mob, would be a losing strategy

At the same time, the only hope of Democrats winning is if minority turnout increases - which is very possible if the Democrats run on Garner.
Staten Island has an inferiority complex so doing that might cause white voters to vote for Donovan just to spite De Blasio and the rest of the city
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »

Staten Island has an inferiority complex so doing that might cause white voters to vote for Donovan just to spite De Blasio and the rest of the city

I'm fully aware that it's a risk. However, this disgusting, incompetent piece of human garbage is clearly favored, and we aren't going to win by persuading white people to vote Cusick or McMahon or whoever they run.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »

I'm fully aware that it's a risk. However, this disgusting, incompetent piece of human garbage is clearly favored, and we aren't going to win by persuading white people to vote Cusick or McMahon or whoever they run.
Yeah Nominating him in the first place was stupid, they should have nominated Malliotakis but Giuliani and the police unions wanted Donovan for some god unknown reason
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »

Actually, I think enough whites could be convinced to vote for Cusick or McMahon
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2015, 02:46:59 PM »

No they're not. 

You and Libertas seem to think that only minority turnout will rise if Donovan's alleged mishandling of the Garner case is made the main issue in the NY-11 campaign, as if minorities live in a parallel universe where only they get to see the Democrats' attacks.  You seem to forget that every time Al Sharpton or Bill de Blasio or one of their surrogates shows up on TV demonizing Donovan, more of the cops and their families who live on Staten Island want to go out to vote for Donovan, too.  And there are more whites in NY-11 than minorities, so the math simply doesn't work.  According to Qunnipiac, only 41% of Staten Islanders thought charges should have been brought against the Garner cop in the first place.  It is a losing issue for Democrats to bring up.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2015, 02:26:59 AM »

No they're not. 

You and Libertas seem to think that only minority turnout will rise if Donovan's alleged mishandling of the Garner case is made the main issue in the NY-11 campaign, as if minorities live in a parallel universe where only they get to see the Democrats' attacks.  You seem to forget that every time Al Sharpton or Bill de Blasio or one of their surrogates shows up on TV demonizing Donovan, more of the cops and their families who live on Staten Island want to go out to vote for Donovan, too.  And there are more whites in NY-11 than minorities, so the math simply doesn't work.  According to Qunnipiac, only 41% of Staten Islanders thought charges should have been brought against the Garner cop in the first place.  It is a losing issue for Democrats to bring up.

+1. Ultraliberals amaze me as much as tea-partiers. More and more i come to conclusion that they are, essentially, the same. Just as electron and positron are. The only difference is a "sign", but "absolute value" is the same.... Almost zero....
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2015, 02:53:42 AM »

Yeah, people who think running on Garner is a good idea forget how vile and awful the average Staten Islander is.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2015, 03:00:27 AM »

Yeah, people who think running on Garner is a good idea forget how vile and awful the average Staten Islander is.

May be (i am not an expert on this issue). But it's them who will vote and choose and that matters most of all. Words of George Wallace from his last gubernatorial campaign (1982, if not mistaken) come to mind: when asked how he can now seek (and receive!) black vote after racist past he answered something along the lines: "i always was what most of Alabamians were: when they were racists - i was too. Now Alabama has changed and so did George Wallace"....
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2015, 07:02:38 AM »

No they're not. 

Very well. I'm not about to dispute a local's knowledge.
PulaskiSkywayDriver
Rookie

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »

I think the Staten Island comment is quite disparaging. Is it wrong for a major city to have a middle-class conservative area?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2015, 01:02:41 PM »

Donovan up 48/28 on Cusick...in a Democratic poll.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »

I have a feeling Robert Holst would be the best candidate for the Democrats.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2015, 02:58:15 PM »

I take it back. Throw this away and push the Garner issue after Donovan wins to tarnish the GOP nationally. We ain't picking this up.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »

I take it back. Throw this away and push the Garner issue after Donovan wins to tarnish the GOP nationally. We ain't picking this up.

50% of NY-11 voters agree with the grand jury's decision in the Garner case.  Only 34% disagree.  Definitely not fertile material to push to get out those who disagree with Donovan's handling of the Garner case.  They're outnumbered.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2015, 08:11:35 PM »

Forget it, Jake. It's Staten Island.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2015, 10:18:38 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

50% of NY-11 voters agree with the grand jury's decision in the Garner case.  Only 34% disagree.  Definitely not fertile material to push to get out those who disagree with Donovan's handling of the Garner case.  They're outnumbered.

Fairly sure you misunderstood my point. I'm not looking towards picking up NY-11 (considering Democrats are f**ked there). Nationally was the key word in that sentence.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »

Fairly sure you misunderstood my point. I'm not looking towards picking up NY-11 (considering Democrats are f**ked there). Nationally was the key word in that sentence.

No.  I understood your point.  I pointed out the polling data to support it.

Personally, I don't think the Donovan's handling of the Gardner case will reverberate anywhere outside of New York in two years, if even in NYC by then.  That's a long ways away.  It will be forgotten.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 11:53:17 PM by bronz4141 »

Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, and Bensonhurst is part of the district, those neighborhoods are  very conservative too, so the Democrat may not win this seat. If Donovan becomes controversial the Staten Island and Brooklyn GOP could have picked state Sen. Martin Golden (R - Bay Ridge).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2015, 05:05:03 PM »

Cusick is out.  The likely Democratic nominee will be Vincent Gentile, a Brooklyn city councilman.

NY-11 Democrats still haven't learned not to nominate Brooklynites in a district that's mainly on Staten Island.  And nominating a city councilman will give Donovan the ability to easily tie Gentile to de Blasio, who is very disliked in the district.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2015, 12:16:42 AM »

Congrats, Congressman Donovan. Why did I ever doubt myself - of course they'd elect a complete scumbag with no regard for human life.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2015, 12:45:54 AM »

Congrats, Congressman Donovan. Why did I ever doubt myself - of course they'd elect a complete scumbag with no regard for human life.

Not all districts use your criteria of what is a "good congressman"..... Get accustomed to it...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »

Cuomo must call special election by Friday or Courts will set the date
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »

Not all districts use your criteria of what is a "good congressman"..... Get accustomed to it...
Agreed, not every district thinks a white supremacist like Donovan would make a bad congressman.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »

Dan Donovan let a cold-blooded murderer walk free for his own political gain. He was a scumbag of a DA who twisted the law to make himself look good, and will be a scumbag of a Congressman.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies