NY-11 Special Election Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:19:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-11 Special Election Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-11 Special Election Thread  (Read 23766 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 02, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »

Only in my dreams. Malliotakis sounds much more preferable than this bastard.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »

Staten Island Democrats continue to have their heads up their asses, refuse to take advantage of an issue that causes turnout to rise.

Jesus Christ, these people are incompetent.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »

Staten Island Democrats continue to have their heads up their asses, refuse to take advantage of an issue that causes turnout to rise.

Because doing their best to avoid any sort of controversial issue worked out so well in 2014...

Especially when it's key to their only chance of winning this race. Looks like looking to Brooklyn for a candidate is the least of their problems.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »

Because doing their best to avoid any sort of controversial issue worked out so well in 2014...
Remember Staten Island approves of the Garner decision so running on that, even with the Sharpton mob, would be a losing strategy

At the same time, the only hope of Democrats winning is if minority turnout increases - which is very possible if the Democrats run on Garner.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »

Remember Staten Island approves of the Garner decision so running on that, even with the Sharpton mob, would be a losing strategy

At the same time, the only hope of Democrats winning is if minority turnout increases - which is very possible if the Democrats run on Garner.
Staten Island has an inferiority complex so doing that might cause white voters to vote for Donovan just to spite De Blasio and the rest of the city

I'm fully aware that it's a risk. However, this disgusting, incompetent piece of human garbage is clearly favored, and we aren't going to win by persuading white people to vote Cusick or McMahon or whoever they run.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:02:38 AM »

No they're not. 

You and Libertas seem to think that only minority turnout will rise if Donovan's alleged mishandling of the Garner case is made the main issue in the NY-11 campaign, as if minorities live in a parallel universe where only they get to see the Democrats' attacks.  You seem to forget that every time Al Sharpton or Bill de Blasio or one of their surrogates shows up on TV demonizing Donovan, more of the cops and their families who live on Staten Island want to go out to vote for Donovan, too.  And there are more whites in NY-11 than minorities, so the math simply doesn't work.  According to Qunnipiac, only 41% of Staten Islanders thought charges should have been brought against the Garner cop in the first place.  It is a losing issue for Democrats to bring up.

Very well. I'm not about to dispute a local's knowledge.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:58:15 PM »

I take it back. Throw this away and push the Garner issue after Donovan wins to tarnish the GOP nationally. We ain't picking this up.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2015, 10:18:38 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

I take it back. Throw this away and push the Garner issue after Donovan wins to tarnish the GOP nationally. We ain't picking this up.

50% of NY-11 voters agree with the grand jury's decision in the Garner case.  Only 34% disagree.  Definitely not fertile material to push to get out those who disagree with Donovan's handling of the Garner case.  They're outnumbered.

Fairly sure you misunderstood my point. I'm not looking towards picking up NY-11 (considering Democrats are f**ked there). Nationally was the key word in that sentence.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:16:42 AM »

Congrats, Congressman Donovan. Why did I ever doubt myself - of course they'd elect a complete scumbag with no regard for human life.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »

Congrats, Congressman Donovan. Why did I ever doubt myself - of course they'd elect a complete scumbag with no regard for human life.

Not all districts use your criteria of what is a "good congressman"..... Get accustomed to it...

Dan Donovan let a cold-blooded murderer walk free for his own political gain. He was a scumbag of a DA who twisted the law to make himself look good, and will be a scumbag of a Congressman.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 01:40:19 AM »

Not all districts use your criteria of what is a "good congressman"..... Get accustomed to it...

Dan Donovan let a cold-blooded murderer walk free for his own political gain. He was a scumbag of a DA who twisted the law to make himself look good, and will be a scumbag of a Congressman.

Again - it's YOUR vision of situation. A lot of people (especially - on Staten Island) think differently. I beg to differ too. We shall see how Donovan is viewed in the district he runs. And, frankly, that's much more important for him then the opinion of someone from New Hampshire..

Nobody's denying he represents the people of Staten Island well. In fact, it's ridiculous to say he doesn't represent their will. However, considering he knowingly and willfully refused to prosecute a clear-cut manslaughter case to prepare to be Michael Grimm's successor, that's being an objectively bad DA.

Is he a good politician? Yes. Is he a bad DA? Yes, objectively so. Do I think he will be a bad Congressman? Absof***inglutely. Dan Donovan doesn't care about the law or the people of Staten Island. Dan Donovan cares about Dan Donovan.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 04:03:18 AM »

Again - it's YOUR vision of situation. A lot of people (especially - on Staten Island) think differently. I beg to differ too. We shall see how Donovan is viewed in the district he runs. And, frankly, that's much more important for him then the opinion of someone from New Hampshire..

How about the direct words of my cousin, who's a Republican from Staten Island?

"He's a clown and a half but better than the other guy."

I mean it also helps that "the other guy" is likely going to represent a tiny portion of the district...
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:47 AM »

In Staten Islander's mind, what is so bad about these democratic candidates that they would rather vote in criminals like Grimm? The democrats running here have had no crimes on their hands - and even if they did, Staten Islanders supported Cuomo the corrupt.

Most Democrats that run here are from the tiny Brooklyn part. (see Gentile, Recchia)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »

Yep, pretty blatant race-baiting. Honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 10:43:19 PM »

Congrats, Congressman-elect Dan Donovan. How long do you see him in Congress?

As long as he wants to be. His handling of the Eric Garner case won't help him in a statewide run (and it'd take a perfect storm to give him even a chance at the state's AG again), but he's admittedly a good fit for Staten Island. Bar any corruption scandals (besides letting a murderer walk free for political gain), he'll be fine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies