Objective morality? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:49:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Objective morality? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is there such a thing as objective morality?
Yes

No

Other choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Objective morality?  (Read 3149 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: December 22, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »

No, but that doesn't make it any less important. I have pretty strong moral qualms with cannibalism. Someone else might find it a totally natural part of life. I don't ever want to have dinner at that guy's house.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:47:11 AM »

Of course not, but I don't think it always hurts to superimpose an "objective" moral line in the sand.

That's still not "objective." Not that it matters. For example, nearly the entire human race agrees with my stance that cannibalism is morally wrong. The collective "subjective" moral sanction of a near-universal consensus may not be the same as an objective consensus in theory, but it means the same thing in practice. Societal morals are basically the (super?)majority societal consensus and can drift as individuals' moral tastes drift. There's nothing wrong with society deciding "these are the rules we are going to live by" and then upholding them as long as the door's open for the next generation to go "these worked, these didn't, let's change it up."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies