Thoughts on "The Next 100 Years."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:15:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Thoughts on "The Next 100 Years."
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thoughts on "The Next 100 Years."  (Read 622 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »

I was at a bookstore a few years ago, and I came across this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Next_100_Years (Wikipedia article also includes a good summary)

It was interesting but it felt a lot more like speculative fiction at the time. Until the beginning of the first section started to become true:

In the 2010s, the conflict between the US and Islamic fundamentalists will die down, and a second Cold War, less extensive and shorter than the first, will take place between the United States and Russia. It will be characterized by Russian attempts to expand its sphere of influence into Central and Eastern Europe, coupled with a buildup of Russian military capabilities. During this period, Russia's military will pose a regional challenge to the United States. The United States will become a close ally to some Central and Eastern European countries, all of whom will be dedicated to resisting Russian geopolitical threats during this period. Friedman speculates in the book that the United States will probably become a close ally of some Eastern European countries: Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania. Around 2015, a Polish-led military alliance of countries in Eastern Europe will begin to form, which is referred to in the book as the "Polish Bloc."

Now, I'm not saying everything in the book will happen, in fact a lot of it looks a bit crazy. (U.S. vs. Mexico War, a Japan-Turkish-German-French alliance against the U.S.-China-UK-India, Poland as a leading superpower that dominates Russia?). I do agree with the instability of Russia and China, but the book's splitting of the EU into completely separate states with opposing alliances doesn't seem realistic.

If you've read the book, (or at least read some of the summary) what were your thoughts?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »

LMAO
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »

Book has been disussed before on the Atlas, I think.

Of course, it seems like one giant ass-pull with shades of a badly written Tom Clancy novel. Tongue
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »

Book has been disussed before on the Atlas, I think.

Of course, it seems like one giant ass-pull with shades of a badly written Tom Clancy novel. Tongue

The latter two-thirds did.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies