IDS: IDS Drug Legalization Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:31:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS: IDS Drug Legalization Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: IDS: IDS Drug Legalization Act  (Read 2606 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2014, 02:10:19 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Maxwell
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:54:34 PM »

I looked over our laws and we may need to do some changing due to the Fines Act, and we will need some more exact measures on taxation, but let's get to the main point - I believe that transparency is way more effective than prison when it comes to combating drug abuse. I will amend this bill so that we get the most out of these more dangerous drugs, obviously, but I want to go a step further than the Feds on this issue.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:45:02 PM »

I'm fully behind the spirit of this bill and await your amendments.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:53:58 PM »

I think it would be appropriate to use the taxes and fines from this bill towards region-run rehabilitation centers, I hope you don't mind this amendment. Tongue

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »

I'll have an amendment tomorrow...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »

I think it would be appropriate to use the taxes and fines from this bill towards region-run rehabilitation centers, I hope you don't mind this amendment. Tongue

Amendment is friendly.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 03:31:29 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2014, 04:20:11 PM by Tzar and IDS Legislator X, Primate of Atlasia »

An Amendment:

Before I continue, I just wanted to note that as vehemently as I oppose this bill (which I consider to be a monstrosity in its present form), none of what I am about to say reflects any sort of personal animosity toward IDS Legislator Maxwell or any others who support this bill.  I do believe that his intentions are good even if he is horribly, horribly wrong on this issue.

With all due respect to IDS Legislator Maxwell, like many of the so-called "reforms" that have been proposed over the years to legalize and/or decriminalize things like hard drug use, bestiality, polygamy, incest, etc, the passage of the unamended version of this bill will lead to nothing but needless pain and suffering.  Some of a Libertarian or far-left ideological stripe may well consider the legalization and/or decriminalization of hard-drug use to be an interesting ideological thought experiment.  However, as tempting as it may be for some to use Atlasia's legislative bodies as an ideological playground, we have a greater responsibility to The People than we do the logical extremes of our respective ideologies.  

If the IDS Drug Legalization Act represented a serious effort to address the problems caused by over-incareration, that would be one thing.  If the bill was an effort to shift the focus of our region's war on drugs to treatment rather than mass incarceration and combat the institutional racism that historically went hand-in-hand with the war on drugs, its sponsor would have now stauncher ally in this debate than myself.  Alas, the IDS Drug Legalization Act does none of those things.  Instead, it would flood our streets with drugs such as heroin and methamphetamine.  It is entirely possible that it could even lead to the death of someone you know personally, perhaps a even (God forbid) a friend or family member.  If there aren't enough votes to pass the compromise amendment I have introduced, I am willing to negotiate further to at least curb the worst excesses of this lethal ideological thought experiment.

One thing is certain, if the unamended version of this bill passes more lives will be ruined by the scourge of drug use.  The unamended IDS Drug Legalization Act will claim Atlasian lives whether by literally leading to more drug-related deaths by increasing access to drugs like methamphetamine and gradually de-stigmatizing their use in certain circles.  If IDS Legislator Maxwell and any others who support this bill are prepared to explain to the mothers and fathers of our region why you repaid the trust they placed in you in your previous election by voting to increase access to the incredibly dangerous and addictive drugs that claimed their children's lives, go ahead and back this bill.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »

Sorry for the interruption,
But I think TNF has already legalized all drugs not a long time ago.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »

Sorry for the interruption,
But I think TNF has already legalized all drugs not a long time ago.

TNF legalized everything but what I have listed here. I went through the bill you are talking about and he decriminalized all of these, but did not legalize them. I am going forward with legalization.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »

And for all the respect I have for the effort that Legislator X is putting forward with his amendment, I don't not appreciate my position on this or the marriage issue being portrayed as "an interesting ideological experiment". I genuinely believe these policies are for the betterment of our country, not the opposite. I believe a War on Drugs does not work, I believe putting these substances in the black market is wrong, and I believe we can better help people in need if we put this situation in a proper light. I'm not about short term solutions to problems, that's why some of these proposals seem so shocking. But these are long term solutions to big problems, and I allow these ideas to be besmirched as an "ideological experiment".

That being, here is my counter amendment to X's amendment -

I don't accept X's amendment as friendly.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »

X, in the real world, the decriminalization of hard drugs in places like Portugal has lead to a significant drop in the use of those drugs, while allowing addicts to seek treatment without fear of legal consequences. Note that Atlasia has already legalized the use of these drugs. Why not go the extra step and allow the distributors of these drugs, who, in the real world, are overwhelmingly disadvantaged people of color, to step out of the shadows and become legitimate businessmen? Prohibition is a tool to preserve what hierarchies exist in society, particularly those of race and capital. Ending prohibition is the first step towards a more just society.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »

And for all the respect I have for the effort that Legislator X is putting forward with his amendment, I don't not appreciate my position on this or the marriage issue being portrayed as "an interesting ideological experiment". I genuinely believe these policies are for the betterment of our country, not the opposite. I believe a War on Drugs does not work, I believe putting these substances in the black market is wrong, and I believe we can better help people in need if we put this situation in a proper light. I'm not about short term solutions to problems, that's why some of these proposals seem so shocking. But these are long term solutions to big problems, and I allow these ideas to be besmirched as an "ideological experiment".

That being, here is my counter amendment to X's amendment -

I don't accept X's amendment as friendly.

I will have more to say on this Friday and will also respond to Yelnoc's post then (and have a counter-counter amendment), but I want to apologize for being dismissive about what you're trying to do with this bill.  That was wrong of me, hopefully there are no hard feelings and we can have a constructive debate over the issue.  Not that it's an excuse, but as some of you may know, this is an issue very dear to my heart and I may've gotten a bit carried away when writing that post.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 02:26:16 AM »

They're all decriminalized? Then I don't really see any point in this bill. I would have supported it if it decriminalized drugs (although not exactly a fan of that), but I feel that legalizing them would encourage more usage.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »

They're all decriminalized? Then I don't really see any point in this bill. I would have supported it if it decriminalized drugs (although not exactly a fan of that), but I feel that legalizing them would encourage more usage.

Decriminalization still puts people in harm's way via the black market. Legalization helps with that and on the regulation side of things.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »

A constructive amendment, and another one will arrive involving fines, due to our new law involving fines.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »

This still allows heroin and meth use so it's a non-starter.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »

Yelnoc, can't we vote on X's first amendment? Considering I objected to his changes?

I may have proceeded too far without proper procedure Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »

So about that vote on my amendment...

Also, I object Maxwell's counter-amendment.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 03:03:10 AM »

I've always felt that a government that isn't doing its best to stop the proliferation of something as unambiguously harmful and addictive as some of these drugs is a useless entity. I don't believe markets are able to effectively handle highly addictive materials and that its one of the few areas where the government's intervention actually works out for the better.

That we've already decriminalized these substances is appalling enough; I see no reason to go any further. I don't believe the black market argument works very well; depending on how prices shake out for some of these drugs black market goods could still be cheaper than the now very highly taxed legal product. Especially in a day fine system as we've set up, if you're poor and buy these drugs, you will now go from a very low fine (based on your wages) to a higher tax (based on the drug's base cost). I could see this actually making black markets a bigger issue.

When it comes to a vote, I will support X's amendment.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 06:28:29 PM »

I've incorporated Maxwell's amendments in, so all we need to vote on here is X's amendment. So legislators, please vote on X's amendment to the current text with an aye, nay or abstention. Voting will last 48 hours or until all have voted.

Quote from: Restricted
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »

Aye
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 07:09:38 PM »

Abstain
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »

Aye
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »

Nay
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »

With two ayes, one nay, one abstention and one not voting this amendment has passed.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies