IL-WeAskAmerica (R): Duckworth leads Sen. Kirk by 1, Quinn trails by 19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:40:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-WeAskAmerica (R): Duckworth leads Sen. Kirk by 1, Quinn trails by 19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: IL-WeAskAmerica (R): Duckworth leads Sen. Kirk by 1, Quinn trails by 19  (Read 4948 times)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 01:46:34 AM »

Protect moderate Republicans Senators at all costs.
Yep, he's so moderate he voted against cloture on the Minimum Wage Fairness Act and the bipartisan immigration bill, as well as supporting the government shutdown and building of the XL Pipeline.

He's a horrible fit for the state, and he deserves to lose. As awesome as it would be to see a People's Pat comeback, Democrats can't blow this. There's a good bench already in Quigley, Bustos, Kelly, Frerichs, Hynes etc. Kirk got by in 2010 on account of a wave and a scandalous Democratic opponent, but luck won't strike a second time for him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 02:07:59 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2014, 02:09:34 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

This is 2014. We are not talking about Javitts, Weicker, Jeffords, Chaffee, or Specter. There are zero moderate Republicans. And all of those aside from Javitts (who died in 1986) later left the Republican party.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 02:59:10 AM »

This is 2014. We are not talking about Javitts, Weicker, Jeffords, Chaffee, or Specter. There are zero moderate Republicans. And all of those aside from Javitts (who died in 1986) later left the Republican party.

Probably because they all voted to the left of their Democratic counterparts...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 04:48:01 AM »

In the wake of the Elizabeth Warren election defeating Scott Brown and duplicating election of Shaheen-Scott Brown, people know the difference between the Corporatist and who is on the side of the little man. And Scott Brown was Romney's counterpart.

I think people who want a Democrat will vote for a Democrat not a conservative no matter how he moderate his views and we will see in IL, AK and  NH where pragmatic conservatives are also running.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 04:59:55 AM »

Run Pat Run!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 12:11:13 PM »

Tammy Duckworth is a military vet just like Kirk and has a cordial relationship with him and each doesn't wish each other ill will.

But bipartisanship reaches is working with whoever is in charge wiith the prez, just like Dems had to do in 2006-2008 with Dubya concerning working with Secretary Gates concerning the surge in Iraq and whoever wins in 2016, will have to do the same.

But so far, as a democrat, Dems have been more compromising than the G O P in McConnell's unprecedented use of Filibuster, criticized by Bob Dole.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »

Duckworth is one of the less electable options I take it? Then WAA should not be testing only one serious democratic candidate.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »

I would prefer Cheri Bustos
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »

Right, like Quinn is actually going to run. Even if he did, why on earth would the Democrats pick him in a primary? If Kirk is losing by one right now, that doesn't bode well for him. Usually incumbents have leads before the election cycle starts, and then races get more competitive. I'm guessing Kirk will end up the same way Begich did this year. He'll run a strong campaign, and put up a good effort, but Illinois will prove just too Democratic for him, and he'll narrowly lose.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »

Right, like Quinn is actually going to run. Even if he did, why on earth would the Democrats pick him in a primary? If Kirk is losing by one right now, that doesn't bode well for him. Usually incumbents have leads before the election cycle starts, and then races get more competitive. I'm guessing Kirk will end up the same way Begich did this year. He'll run a strong campaign, and put up a good effort, but Illinois will prove just too Democratic for him, and he'll narrowly lose.

I think it depends,

If the Republicans win the Presidency in 2016 then I would imagine Kirk would pull it out also. Which is in line with what we've seen with vulernable Senate incumbents and Presidential elections over the past decade.

Same goes for Johnson and Reid too.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »

The Overton window is moving and the folks in this thread aren't even noticing. Of course Kirk is moderate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »

So was Scott Brown and he was soundly defeated. Being moderate doesnt mean all that much if you arent gonna work woth president and so far, at least on upholding McConnell's fillibusterd, he's unmoved. Thats why Duckworth is leading.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2014, 02:36:25 AM »

I think it depends,

If the Republicans win the Presidency in 2016 then I would imagine Kirk would pull it out also. Which is in line with what we've seen with vulernable Senate incumbents and Presidential elections over the past decade.

Same goes for Johnson and Reid too.

I could see Kirk losing even if a Republican wins nationally. A strong Republican ticket would likely help Johnson and Toomey more than Kirk, since WI and PA are more competitive than IL. Anyway, that's just my hunch, I could be wrong.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »

Of course that may play out, Christie and Jeb have net disapprovals by Dems and these are Obama states and in a close election they very well will lose anyways. All three and Ayotte will be the tipping pt race to picking up FL or even AK or NC.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »

Yes, Kirk is liberal on immigration and social issues. Howevee, he is a solid fiscal conservative.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »

Yes, Kirk is liberal on immigration and social issues. Howevee, he is a solid fiscal conservative.

Yes, just like in the case of Chris Christie, he is a moderate in a liberal state. But, Topinka, Dold and Judy Biggert were moderates as well and lost close races in the end.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 01:27:28 AM »

Wish they would have replaced Bustos with Quinn on this. I know it's early so there's room for goofing around, but I want to know how she compares.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2014, 05:46:02 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Since when is WeAskAmerica a Republican pollster?

Anyway, I think Kirk will win, unless Democrats have a strong candidate and 2016 turns out to be a strong Dem year (ditto for Johnson and Toomey).  He's more of a moderate Republican, and I believe he's generally well-liked.

Anyway, Duckworth isn't going to run because she just had a baby.  I doubt Lisa Madigan will do it either, since she just won reelection as AG and doesn't seem much interested in higher office.  If she refused to run primary Blagojevich and Quinn for governor(a contest she easily could have won, both in the primary and the general election), then why would she run for the Senate?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »

It's literally the polling arm of the Illinois Manufacturers' Association (which is essentially a union of manufacturing businessmen formed to fight against labor laws).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 06:22:01 PM »

Anyway, I think Kirk will win, unless Democrats have a strong candidate and 2016 turns out to be a strong Dem year.....

I might add that Foster or Bustos can take Kirk out, Duckworth is more of a question mark.  Foster took out moderate Judy Biggert and he can be competetive in IL senate.

This is by far our strongest race due to the fact that it is a lean Democratic race in a presidential year. As far as Lisa Madigan is concerned, the Metra scandle derrailed her gubernatorial bid, as far as Speaker Madigan is concerned.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 12:11:17 AM »

Anyway, I think Kirk will win, unless Democrats have a strong candidate and 2016 turns out to be a strong Dem year (ditto for Johnson and Toomey).  He's more of a moderate Republican, and I believe he's generally well-liked.

What makes you think that this will not absolutely be the case? IL Dems are organized and eyeing the seat. They will be much more prepared than they were in 2010.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies