Who controls interest rates in Atlasia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:46:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Who controls interest rates in Atlasia?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who controls interest rates in Atlasia?  (Read 1248 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:51:11 AM »

Huh Anyone know? Since we've apparently got 8% inflation...

I know the GM fairly inexplicably has some Fed-style powers, is this included?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:48:42 AM »

Yes, the GM has the power to do whatever he wants with respect to interest rates, or anything regarding powers left to the Federal Reserve, for that matter (the act below is what I used to lower the key interest rate in 2013 and buy up a bunch of Pacific bonds). Probably the most substantial, unchecked power the GM really has, from an economic perspective:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »

Should we consider changing that to a political appointee? The GM should be a narrative position, not policy crafting one.

The current set up with how the GM and the SoS interact actually works wonderfully when done. Maybe give the SoIA and *actual job* like fed powers.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »

Thanks, AG. That seems like a pretty excessive amount of power. I get the logic that the Fed is outside political control, and, thus, should be modelled by the GM, but it seems sensible to put the central bank under political control just for gameplay reasons.

Should we consider changing that to a political appointee? The GM should be a narrative position, not policy crafting one.

The current set up with how the GM and the SoS interact actually works wonderfully when done. Maybe give the SoIA and *actual job* like fed powers.

That's a good idea. The problem is that giving the GM powers to both set the economic story and respond with monetary policy seems to assume that the GM will almost always focus on "events" (attacks on the White House) etc. rather than more mundane - but ultimately more engaging - indicators.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »

As I'm sure Flo can attest, there is not a lot for the SoIA to actually do. You are someone who is in charge of both the EPA and the department of commerce. Treasury and HHS. Huge range of job responsibilities. Actually prescribing the job of the SoIA is important. Fed powers should be included.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »

Another reason why we should abolish economic simulation from Atlasia.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »

Another reason why we should abolish economic simulation from Atlasia.

I don't know. It's fun whenever we stumble onto a crippling bug like "oh man. we bankrupted every single hospital in the country. " or "oops. we forgot about monetary policy. Whoops."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »

Eh, I already admitted I messed up with the number. I hadn't meant to hit 8, but once it was pointed out I thought it might give you all something to work on.

I'm lowering it today, anyway Tongue
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »

No one raised a fuss (publicly, at least) when I lowered interest rates by executive order last summer.

That is true. But I was in your Administration so I wouldn't criticize my own President. Anyway, I would love to be President of the Atlasian Central Bank, it would be very nice... =P
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies