If Defeated 08 Senators won and ran again this year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:24:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Defeated 08 Senators won and ran again this year
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Defeated 08 Senators won and ran again this year  (Read 3230 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:23:14 PM »

Lets say in an alternate world, all five defeated Republicans that lost their seats in 2008 actually won an rand again in 2014.

NH: Given how Shaheen only won by 2% against Brown, I think Sununu would be reelected pretty easily.
NC: Like 2010, this falls of Democrats' target map pretty quickly and Liddy Dole wins by 10-13%.
MN: Not sure, it depended a lot on who Democrats recruit against Coleman. I wasn't expecting Franken's margin to be double-digits this year, so maybe Tilt D.
OR: Similar situation as MN, though Gordon Smith seemed to have more appeal to swing voters and Democrats.  I'd say tossup.
AK: I think Democrats would ignore Ted Stevens, as other states would make better targets. The more interesting thing would be if he got a primary challenge.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:32:59 PM »

Well I mean, it's difficult to say seeing as how what would've happened with Obamacare would've been significantly different (it either wouldn't have passed or it would've had to have been watered down some) and that, in turn, would cause the 2014 elections to be at least a somewhat different climate than they really were.

However, if we were to put the 2008 Republican losers up in the RL 2014 climate, I'd say I agree with your analysis, with Smith being at least somewhat Tilt D.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »

AK: Stevens dies, so Republicans would get a new candidate, GE is Likely/Safe R
MN: Toss-up. Minnesota is always a vulnerable place for Republicans.
NH: Toss-up or Lean R, 2014 wasn't anti-incumbent
NC: Dole wins like Burr, Likely R
OR: Toss-up or Lean D. The dems could certainly have a chance to beat Gordon, even in 2014.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 02:18:00 AM »

I think Smith might lose, seeing as how the west coast wasn't as kind to Republicans as the rest of the nation. The rest likely win.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »

It took unusual, remarkable incompetence on the part of Republican incumbents to lose this year (and consider in Oregon that the totally underfunded Republican gubernatorial nominee, down double-digits in all polling, still came within 6 digits of Kitzhaber), and I think they would all win. Smith was a very entrenched, popular Senator; he beat back a statewide officer by double-digits in 2002 and was barely thrown out in 2008 in a powerful wave. The more interesting question is what might've happened, given OTL results, had all five tried for a comeback this year; I think Stevens, Sununu, and Dole would very likely have won; Smith would be 50/50; and Coleman would probably have narrowly lost.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »

AK: Stevens dies, Sullivan would still win
MN: Lean D. I don't know if Coleman would be popular still
NH: Tossup.
NC: Lean D. Dole would be seen as "old news"
OR: Lean D. Smith would have to make a good impact to win statewide office again.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »

AK: Stevens dies before 2010, and there's a special election to replace him. My gut says Parnell decides to run for Senate instead of Governor - butterflies Walker's I turn because he runs and wins as an R, and both win handily in 2014.
MN: Toss-up. Gun to my head Coleman scrapes by narrowly - I think the trend in MN-7 is too strong, plus it got hit relatively hard by the wave.
NC: Dole wins, but by around 12-15.
NH: Sununu wins comfortably. Nothing to see here, move on.
OR: Leans D. I think in this universe Gordon Smith becomes somewhat of a Landrieu-esque figure amongst Republicans - seen as a moderate in hostile enemy territory, and generally well-liked, but sunk by demographics.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »

Would Stevens have even died if he was still a Senator? It was from a freak plane crash, so I'm guessing not...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:58 AM »

Would Stevens have even died if he was still a Senator? It was from a freak plane crash, so I'm guessing not...

Perhaps if he were in Washington, DC, but being a congressmen or Senator means constant travelling to and from the home turf and thus plenty of opportunities for the same tragedy to occur. Nick Begich comes to mind.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 02:07:26 AM »

Perhaps if he were in Washington, DC, but being a congressmen or Senator means constant travelling to and from the home turf and thus plenty of opportunities for the same tragedy to occur. Nick Begich comes to mind.

He would have been ninety on Election Day 2014, as well, so he would have been in a similar situation to Byrd, Inyoue and Akaka.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 02:28:21 AM »

He would have been ninety on Election Day 2014, as well, so he would have been in a similar situation to Byrd, Inyoue and Akaka.
Akaka's still alive. You're thinking of Lautenberg.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 02:53:38 AM »

Akaka's still alive. You're thinking of Lautenberg.
In this case yes, but the broader point includes Akaka as well.
Cape Verde
asianzzang
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 11:39:27 AM »

AK: Stevens dies before 2010, and there's a special election to replace him. My gut says Parnell decides to run for Senate instead of Governor - butterflies Walker's I turn because he runs and wins as an R, and both win handily in 2014.
MN: Toss-up. Gun to my head Coleman scrapes by narrowly - I think the trend in MN-7 is too strong, plus it got hit relatively hard by the wave.
OR: Leans D. I think in this universe Gordon Smith becomes somewhat of a Landrieu-esque figure amongst Republicans - seen as a moderate in hostile enemy territory, and generally well-liked, but sunk by demographics.

Many comments say that Dole would have won, but I think age would have been an issue for Dole. She is already 78 years old. I know she is younger than Inhofe, but I think people would have been skeptical of a 78-year old ex-senator's attempt to regain her seat.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »

Many comments say that Dole would have won, but I think age would have been an issue for Dole. She is already 78 years old. I know she is younger than Inhofe, but I think people would have been skeptical of a 78-year old ex-senator's attempt to regain her seat.

If Dole was reelected in 2008, its quite possible that should would have retired 2014.  If OTL conditions were the same this alternate timeline, I don't think the GOP would have a problem holding an open-seat in North Carolina.   
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 10:30:25 PM »

All five seats would have gone R except maybe Oregon. That was one hell of a wave.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 11:34:58 PM »

Would Coleman not prefer to run for Governor?

He has prior executive experience and didn't seem to like the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies