Who should the GOP look to to give the 2015 SOTU Response?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:37:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who should the GOP look to to give the 2015 SOTU Response?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Who should the GOP look to to give the 2015 SOTU Response?  (Read 6470 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 09:25:50 AM »

There's no reason Michele Bachmann couldn't do it again this year.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »

I don't believe she ever gave the Republican response.

Fortunately, she will no longer hold elected office.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »

I don't believe she ever gave the Republican response.

Fortunately, she will no longer hold elected office.

She gave a Tea Party response following the official Republican response either in 2014 or 2013.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's fair enough. I would branch out to a discussion if this practice (after politics) is as pernicious as we think it is. There may be room for a healthy relationship between politicians and business interests; indeed, we've had a few eras where the relationships have contributed to significant technological and economic growth.

But this isn't the place for it, probably.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »

I'm actually a little surprised they haven't tapped Tim Scott yet.

Tapped? Graham hasn't even worked up the courage to ask him out yet.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »

The main quality would be selecting a good speaker, who holds elected office, isn't running for President, hasn't given the response before, and doesn't have weird issues in their background (IE- David Vitter).

Nikki Haley might fit the bill.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 02:43:30 AM »

The main quality would be selecting a good speaker, who holds elected office, isn't running for President, hasn't given the response before, and doesn't have weird issues in their background (IE- David Vitter).

Who says she isn't running?  At the very least, she's a leading candidate for the Veepstakes in 2016 and while a 2016 Presidential run is unlikely, a 2020 run is quite possible.  She's term limited and I can't see her mounting a primary challenge against either of our senators and I can't see either departing office voluntarily soon.  I suppose there's an outside chance she could run for Comptroller General in 2018 if she wants to stay active in electoral politics without going national in her ambitions.  Eckstrom might consider retirement, unlike our State Treasurer Loftis (tho he might try to run for Governor) so she wouldn't have to unseat an incumbent.  With her background, Haley's not really qualified to run for Attorney General, tho both Treasurer and Comptroller General are good fits for her resume.  So is Secretary of State but that is too minor an office for a former governor. (Plus there are constant calls to either eliminate the office, or at least stop electing it. Also, our Secretary of State has no role in elections as is the case in many States, so she wouldn't be able to even hope of pulling a Katherine Harris.)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »

Who says she isn't running?  At the very least, she's a leading candidate for the Veepstakes in 2016 and while a 2016 Presidential run is unlikely, a 2020 run is quite possible.  She's term limited and I can't see her mounting a primary challenge against either of our senators and I can't see either departing office voluntarily soon.  I suppose there's an outside chance she could run for Comptroller General in 2018 if she wants to stay active in electoral politics without going national in her ambitions.  Eckstrom might consider retirement, unlike our State Treasurer Loftis (tho he might try to run for Governor) so she wouldn't have to unseat an incumbent.  With her background, Haley's not really qualified to run for Attorney General, tho both Treasurer and Comptroller General are good fits for her resume.  So is Secretary of State but that is too minor an office for a former governor. (Plus there are constant calls to either eliminate the office, or at least stop electing it. Also, our Secretary of State has no role in elections as is the case in many States, so she wouldn't be able to even hope of pulling a Katherine Harris.)
There's nothing wrong with a SOTU response by potential 2020/ 2024 candidates, or potential Veeps.

But it might be divisive to have a potential 2016 nominee. It provides party actors an incentive to criticize something that's meant to unite Republicans.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »

Nikki Haley or Brian Sandoval would be a good choice. Maybe even Tom Cotton.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »

Kelly Ayotte would be good choice too.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »

Nikki Haley or Brian Sandoval would be a good choice. Maybe even Tom Cotton.

No. Cotton is the opposite of everything the GOP needs to be emphasizing right now.

I'd be interested in seeing Sandoval though since he could use it to take down Reid, and I don't necessarily want him to be President.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 09:22:39 PM »

I'm actually a little surprised they haven't tapped Tim Scott yet.

Yes, I think Tim Scott is a solid pick.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »

They usually pick people who you don't usually think of as a serious presidential contender, but could use the limelight to better become one. Jindal, Rubio, Daniels, McDonnell, etc. Even that female Republican in the House, forget her name, was briefly talked about as a presidential contender after her mediocre response.

So who does the GOP establishment like, but not think is getting enough attention?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 10:56:57 PM »

They usually pick people who you don't usually think of as a serious presidential contender, but could use the limelight to better become one. Jindal, Rubio, Daniels, McDonnell, etc. Even that female Republican in the House, forget her name, was briefly talked about as a presidential contender after her mediocre response.

So who does the GOP establishment like, but not think is getting enough attention?

McMorris Rodgers. But Cotton or Sandoval would be good.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 11:05:32 PM »

The Official Republican response should go to Sandoval. He's the most moderate governor that was reelected in 2014, he can use it to help take down Reid (which should be the GOP's #2 goal in 2016 (#1 being winning the presidency of course).), and he can shape his speech to appeal to soft democrats, independents, hispanics - people that the GOP need to improve their standing with.

The Tea Party response should go to Bobby Jindal or Ben Carson. Basically, keep Ted Cruz from getting a boost from this, and give it to someone whose presence in the race would lower Cruz's chance of winning the nomination and raise the chance of an establishment candidate winning the nomination.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 11:09:48 PM »

Martinez, Sandoval, Kasich, Gardner, Ayotte, hell even Kirk or Rauner should do it for the luhlz.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 11:33:36 PM »

Scott Brown would be another good choice.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2015, 12:24:16 AM »

Scott Brown would be another good choice.

It would help prop up his 2016 CT senate run
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2015, 02:42:17 AM »

I've never really understood why governors would want to give a response to federal issues. But anyway, I hope its somebody fresh like Curbelo, Love, Gardner, etc.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »

Give it to the fat man, hope he screws up and his 2016 prospects go down with it.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »

Imagine if the GOP gave Judge Jeanine Pirro the rebuttal. Yes, she lost by 30 or so points in the 2006 NY Attorney General's race against Cuomo, but she's tough as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93bbhebvUvU
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2015, 07:01:32 PM »

I've never really understood why governors would want to give a response to federal issues.

Because they have ambitions for federal office?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2015, 01:31:42 AM »

Some more potential choices...

Larry Hogan- The new Republican Governor of a very liberal state could highlight the less popular elements of the Democratic agenda.

Kevin McCarthy- Introduces Americans to a relatively obscure member of congressional leadership. As House Majority Leader, he would be a Republican in a position to offer alternatives.

John Thune- Probably the most charismatic member of the new Senate leadership.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2015, 01:32:59 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 12:53:03 AM by Mister Mets »

I've never really understood why governors would want to give a response to federal issues. But anyway, I hope its somebody fresh like Curbelo, Love, Gardner, etc.
It raises the profile of a Governor, which helps with fundraising.

It brings attention to the profile of Governors interested in running for Senate, or getting appointed somewhere high-profile (IE- The cabinet of the next administration).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies