The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:04:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 76
Author Topic: The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V  (Read 203748 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »

Wow. Just wow.

I think there's a nice blank piece of paper element of having a boring white guy host. He can go in any direction and then use the correspondents to fine tune the routine.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »

Wow. Just wow.

I think there's a nice blank piece of paper element of having a boring white guy host. He can go in any direction and then use the correspondents to fine tune the routine.

I'd like for my belief to be wrong, but when it comes to American comedy, it simply isn't. Non-white American comics are expected to joke about their race. That's distracting for a news show.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2015, 12:52:40 AM »

Freedom Country with some massive issues it needs to address.
This but the food is so bad.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »

two racial slurs, one post

Can't speak for Per due,  guess Democrats don't have the monopoly on elite snobbery; but I presume there was a point in the "you mean people like David Perdue" statement, Miles. The fact is Obama, because he actually an elitist snob, wants at all cost to be PC.  Those ISIS ragtag towel headed       a% $#@&* are exactly that Islamic extremist's,  slope headed liars and low-life scum bag murderers and instead of being a wimpy elitist, Obama should man-up and call ISIS what they are IgnorantSlobsInS*@# instead of pussy footing around. Wish to god John McCain had won back in 2008.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2015, 01:25:20 PM »

At least heatmaster is learning how to write sentences less than 100 words long.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »

I can almost guarantee you that millions of more people died in the process of the transition to capitalism. I am not denying that what happened under Mao was, in a lot of cases, disgusting and brutal. What I am voting 'Extremely Flawed Freedom Country' for is that the People's Republic of China, unlike pretty much every Western democracy at the time and even today, provided a basic standard of living for all its people, including access to medical care, education, employment, housing, and so on. No Western capitalist nation has ever come close to doing so, because quite frankly none of them have any desire to do so because that would throw the spanner in the works of their economic system, which has of course killed more human beings than any previous mode of production, given its propensity to create world wars, racial pogroms, starvation on a mass scale, etc.

Also let's not forget that the PRC was a strong backer of anti-colonial movements and was committed to anti-racism in its early period, unlike the nation that denied blacks the right to vote until 1965 and supported white-settler regimes like South Africa until the 1980s. The PRC was never perfect and has a deformation at its very birth by way of the fact that the revolution was led by a peasant movement headed by the thoroughly authoritarian Mao Tse-Tung, but that doesn't mean that it didn't achieve some real victories on behalf of the Chinese people and help play an important role in smashing colonialism, racism, and capitalist oppression in Asia and in Africa.

The PRC today is, of course, just another run-of-the-mill capitalist oligarchy, albeit one in which the ruling class cloaks itself with communist imagery and terminology. The counterrevolution in China has transformed it into an imperialist state with interests in seizing control of markets in Asia, Africa, and elsewhere. I do not think that anything short of a political revolution, led by the working class and that places the working class in power, will be able to free China and once and for all eliminate the deformations inherent to the regime from its birth.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2015, 10:59:50 AM »

The Mormon mission ritual is the only positive aspect of the faith. It forces many Mormon men to become somewhat cultured/cosmopolitan/bilingual.

I don't even know where the the hell to begin with this one.

First it assumes a lack of culture, which considering only atheists and Jews have us beat when it comes to knowledge other religious cultures.

Secondly, it ignores a helluva lot other aspects,...ya' know like the fact that we banded together and did more for Katrina than the Government itself did. Or that we're excellent at charitable things in general. Such as the storehouses we tend to have.

And to doubt the motives of this one, is whiny cynicism at best...bigotry at worst.

It's incredible that posts like this one even EXIST.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »

The Mormon mission ritual is the only positive aspect of the faith. It forces many Mormon men to become somewhat cultured/cosmopolitan/bilingual.

First it assumes a lack of culture, which considering only atheists and Jews have us beat when it comes to knowledge other religious cultures.

Secondly, it ignores a helluva lot other aspects,...ya' know like the fact that we banded together and did more for Katrina than the Government itself did. Or that we're excellent at charitable things in general. Such as the storehouses we tend to have.

And to doubt the motives of this one, is whiny cynicism at best...bigotry at worst.

For a guy who constantly complains about bigotry, that was rather bigoted on the part of DeadFlag.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »

For a guy who constantly complains about bigotry, that was rather bigoted on the part of DeadFlag.

But not really surprising.  There is no requirement that somebody who complains about bigotry should not themselves be a bigot.  Hell, in a lot of cases it's the opposite.  The expectation, especially on this forum, that people are principled anti-bigots is a laughable one.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »

we banded together and did more for Katrina than the Government itself did.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

You obviously haven't been here too long.  Posts like these are more par the course than not.

Obviously it isn't justified, but a lot of the anti-Mormonism is more out of pure ignorance of what you guys actually believe/practice now days.  Of course, this isn't much different than many people who think Islam is a naturally reactionary religiono that teaches it's followers to make women slaves or to kill all infidels.  Truth is, most monotheistic religious traditions that extend back to the 19th century or before are going to have a pretty controversial past and even some crazy things found in their texts.  It is hardly fair to conclude that a practicioner of said religion is a retrobate just because a few centuries ago they were doing crazy sh*t.

Just my two cents.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »

I've said a few times now that regardless of what one thinks about the way Mormons tend to get involved in politics--in terms of policy, in terms of strategy, whatever--the fact that they do have a strong tradition of dynamic, on-the-ground political involvement, and in most cases seem sincere and idealistic about it, is itself worthy of admiration. The same is true of black churches.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »

You obviously haven't been here too long.  Posts like these are more par the course than not.

Obviously it isn't justified, but a lot of the anti-Mormonism is more out of pure ignorance of what you guys actually believe/practice now days.  Of course, this isn't much different than many people who think Islam is a naturally reactionary religiono that teaches it's followers to make women slaves or to kill all infidels.  Truth is, most monotheistic religious traditions that extend back to the 19th century or before are going to have a pretty controversial past and even some crazy things found in their texts.  It is hardly fair to conclude that a practicioner of said religion is a retrobate just because a few centuries ago they were doing crazy sh*t.

Just my two cents.

Oh I've seen plenty of crazier stuff than this, but most of it has had decent points. It's amazing that those exist too.

But this is pointless, hypocritical, bigoted, and myopic without any merit.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2015, 03:10:26 PM »

Just my two cents.

Oh I've seen plenty of crazier stuff than this, but most of it has had decent points. It's amazing that those exist too.

But this is pointless, hypocritical, bigoted, and myopic without any merit.

Indeed.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »

Can we put maps in this thread? Cuz this is just horrendous. What's in that Michigan water? Did Detroit pollute the Great Lakes that badly?

Context: Walker vs. Hillary

Possible -- but not likely. Losing Virginia and Florida -- the Republican nominee would have to win just about everything between the Sierra Nevada and the Appalachians... again, not likely.  
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »

Why do some Transexuals choose such trashy names.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

does not belong here. hifly is probably the most qualified expert on trash we have.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »

does not belong here. hifly is probably the most qualified expert on trash we have.

so it's irony?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2015, 12:23:11 AM »

I've said a few times now that regardless of what one thinks about the way Mormons tend to get involved in politics--in terms of policy, in terms of strategy, whatever--the fact that they do have a strong tradition of dynamic, on-the-ground political involvement, and in most cases seem sincere and idealistic about it, is itself worthy of admiration. The same is true of black churches.
There is nothing admirable about religion muscling its way into our civic institutions. It's a very problematic thing, especially coming from "sincere and idealistic" people.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2015, 12:27:36 AM »

There is nothing admirable about religion muscling its way into our civic institutions. It's a very problematic thing, especially coming from "sincere and idealistic" people.

Does that include Martin Luther King Jr. [1]?

[1] Yes I realize he did not believe in the divinity of Jesus at least when he wrote his thesis, but nonetheless he mobilized the black church for political action as well as his own moral authority as a minister.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2015, 02:34:27 AM »

so it's irony?

i'm saying hifly is trashy enough that we can probably take his word for it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2015, 09:03:35 AM »

Does that include Martin Luther King Jr. [1]?

[1] Yes I realize he did not believe in the divinity of Jesus at least when he wrote his thesis, but nonetheless he mobilized the black church for political action as well as his own moral authority as a minister.

The major difference is that MLK and the civil rights movement, while structurally organized and inspired by the faith of black churches, didn't try to implement the theology of the AME Church or any other denomination into law. Simply characterizing a basic belief in the rights of African-Americans to dignity and equality as part of those church's "theology" is  VASTLY overbroad.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »

HP -- Pennsylvania ought to expand their death penalty, and transform it from a theoretical punishment that's never used to one that is actually used for people who deserve it. To cite the most famous case, it's a travesty that Mumia Abu-Jamal is still alive.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2015, 03:57:04 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

3edgy5me

In all seriousness though this idea that a lot of liberals have that people should somehow check their beliefs at the door when engaging in policy discussions or should avoid making use of the institutions that represent their beliefs for political mobilization is distinctly, uh, odd.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2015, 04:39:10 AM »

Context required:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length