The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:48:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 76
Author Topic: The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V  (Read 203731 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: August 03, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1551 on: August 03, 2016, 11:31:13 PM »

Yeah, this is where we post things we disagree with. Roll Eyes
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1552 on: August 03, 2016, 11:47:25 PM »

It's not our fault you want Buck Angel in the ladies room.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1553 on: August 04, 2016, 12:42:19 AM »

It's not my fault you think women are too fragile to handle themselves.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1554 on: August 04, 2016, 01:25:11 AM »

Horrible Band. They violate the #1 rule of punk rock: That it should be all liberal, all the time.

The modern day punk/hardcore bands that write songs that are really just long essays about the abolition of gender roles or being self-aware to avoid microaggressions or promoting the destruction and annihilation of culture or who wrote a multi-paragraph essay about how they don't like that a local venue serves beer brands that engage in sexist advertising are the real punks, not these dumbass neandrathals.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #1555 on: August 04, 2016, 02:13:46 AM »

...what? This seems like a non sequitur. Huh
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1556 on: August 04, 2016, 02:19:12 AM »

...What?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1557 on: August 04, 2016, 04:35:33 AM »

STOP ARGUING

And I'm sorry to say this, but RI is right. That post didn't belong here.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1558 on: August 04, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »

Horrible Band. They violate the #1 rule of punk rock: That it should be all liberal, all the time.

The modern day punk/hardcore bands that write songs that are really just long essays about the abolition of gender roles or being self-aware to avoid microaggressions or promoting the destruction and annihilation of culture or who wrote a multi-paragraph essay about how they don't like that a local venue serves beer brands that engage in sexist advertising are the real punks, not these dumbass neandrathals.

That's just him laying down bait for this thread IMO.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1559 on: August 04, 2016, 01:09:51 PM »

STOP ARGUING

Blatant transphobia is OK in your book now?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1560 on: August 04, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »

This post actually belongs here:

No, but if a private citizen decides to assassinate him I'd be okay with that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1561 on: August 04, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »

STOP ARGUING

Expressing a terrible view =/= saying something blatantly absurd.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1562 on: August 04, 2016, 05:42:15 PM »

This post actually belongs here:

No, but if a private citizen decides to assassinate him I'd be okay with that.

Whelp, pack it up, guys. We can't get any lower than this.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1563 on: August 04, 2016, 06:38:52 PM »

STOP ARGUING

Your definition of "blatant" is a bit off, and I say that as someone who actually for the most part is on your side of this politically.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1564 on: August 04, 2016, 11:33:31 PM »

STOP ARGUING

Your definition of "blatant" is a bit off, and I say that as someone who actually for the most part is on your side of this politically.

He did say that people should be permanently barred from entering bathrooms of their gender identity.

Also, it might help to be more aware of realisticidealist's posting history.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #1565 on: August 05, 2016, 12:58:02 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2016, 01:03:04 AM by Higgs »

STOP ARGUING

He did say that people should be permanently barred from entering bathrooms of their gender identity.

I completely agree with you on this issue, but it may serve you some good to think of other people's perspectives on the issue and realize it isn't always as black and white as you think it is. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're a bigot/_____phobe. You don't know his reasoning, so you can't make that judgement. Also, do you really think you're going to convince anyone or win the debate by calling the opposing side trans phobic? That's not helping our side, you're only hurting us.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1566 on: August 05, 2016, 06:45:22 AM »

Every single post by "Korwinist":

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=242480.0
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1567 on: August 05, 2016, 02:11:27 PM »

STOP ARGUING

I've been debating him for four years before you joined. I know his history. Having strong (and wrong) moral beliefs does not make one a bigot.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1568 on: August 05, 2016, 07:29:24 PM »

STOP ARGUING

I completely agree with you on this issue, but it may serve you some good to think of other people's perspectives on the issue and realize it isn't always as black and white as you think it is. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're a bigot/_____phobe. You don't know his reasoning, so you can't make that judgement. Also, do you really think you're going to convince anyone or win the debate by calling the opposing side trans phobic? That's not helping our side, you're only hurting us.

Given the user in question's posting history, it's pretty clear that he would agree with the idea that he posts transgender rights. And no, I'm not going to mince words just to protect the feelings of religious fundamentalists.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1569 on: August 06, 2016, 01:59:01 AM »

STOP ARGUING
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1570 on: August 06, 2016, 03:19:26 PM »

Actually this is the perfect thread for it, considering their arguments.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1571 on: August 06, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »

Wow, people are still talking about his. Okay. Let's get some things straight:

I vehemently disagree with the medical establishment concerning the diagnosis and treatment of gender dysphoria. I further vehemently disagree with the linguistic distinction, categorization, and protection of gender as an individual trait that is not either subsumed by sex or personality. I further believe that sex is an immutable chromosomal fact that can not be changed by hormones or surgery. I acknowledge the existence of norms prescribed by society with regard to sexual distinction and believe them to have some basis in underlying trends but that they should not be forced upon an individual, nor should an individual should feel strictly beholden to them. I do not believe a disconnect between someone's personality and the societal norms of their sex comprise a valid basis for "transition" through hormones and surgery.

Additionally, I believe that this Balkanistic "essentialism" displayed by the modern left wherein an individual only amounts to the sum of their inherent labels and categories (cis/trans, gay/straight, abled/disabled, and the infinite progression of "genders" to describe every flavor of preference under the sun) is highly dangerous and self-destructive. This overcategorization denies the inherent dignity of each person as a unique individual and divides people unnecessarily. When we entrench the idea that people are only special if they have a unique skin color or sexual preference or mental disorder and only outside recognition of this label will fulfill them, we reject that truth that people are already special and unique regardless of category or label and that fulfillment only arrives through ourselves, not from others.

I believe these things independent of any religious basis.

I do not wish harm on any person. I harbor no hatred toward people who believe themselves to be transgender. In fact, I greatly pity the vast majority of them. I can only imagine the mental anguish they experience. However, I do not believe the "cure" society has proscribed is the best solution to their problem, and it represents an affront to what I understand to be the purpose of medicine and mental health and the nature of any objective reality.

If you wish to define this attitude as "transphobic" and use it as a bludgeon, that is your prerogative. I believe that doing so does not add to dialogue between opposing viewpoints and offers nothing of substance, but, then again, that does seem to be the point. It's far easier to just be outraged at everything and play martyr, after all. Know that in doing so, you accomplish nothing aside from patting yourself on the back and generating a roll of my eyes.

Regarding the nature of this thread, I believe it should be reserved for arguments made in bad faith, made with clear logical fallacies, which wish a direct and malicious harm on others. I believe this has historically been the purpose of this thread. If you wish for this to change, so be it, but the precedent for deeming a post "absurd or ignorant" based on individual disagreement poses a danger to open discourse and civility. If that is your desire, then I feel nothing but pity for the depth of your insecurity.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1572 on: August 06, 2016, 06:37:40 PM »

I vehemently disagree with the medical establishment concerning the diagnosis and treatment of gender dysphoria. I further vehemently disagree with the linguistic distinction, categorization, and protection of gender as an individual trait that is not either subsumed by sex or personality. I further believe that sex is an immutable chromosomal fact that can not be changed by hormones or surgery. I acknowledge the existence of norms prescribed by society with regard to sexual distinction and believe them to have some basis in underlying trends but that they should not be forced upon an individual, nor should an individual should feel strictly beholden to them. I do not believe a disconnect between someone's personality and the societal norms of their sex comprise a valid basis for "transition" through hormones and surgery.

Additionally, I believe that this Balkanistic "essentialism" displayed by the modern left wherein an individual only amounts to the sum of their inherent labels and categories (cis/trans, gay/straight, abled/disabled, and the infinite progression of "genders" to describe every flavor of preference under the sun) is highly dangerous and self-destructive. This overcategorization denies the inherent dignity of each person as a unique individual and divides people unnecessarily. When we entrench the idea that people are only special if they have a unique skin color or sexual preference or mental disorder and only outside recognition of this label will fulfill them, we reject that truth that people are already special and unique regardless of category or label and that fulfillment only arrives through ourselves, not from others.

I do not wish harm on any person. I harbor no hatred toward people who believe themselves to be transgender. In fact, I greatly pity the vast majority of them. I can only imagine the mental anguish they experience. However, I do not believe the "cure" society has proscribed is the best solution to their problem, and it represents an affront to what I understand to be the purpose of medicine and mental health and the nature of any objective reality.

If you wish to define this attitude as "transphobic" and use it as a bludgeon, that is your prerogative. I believe that doing so does not add to dialogue between opposing viewpoints and offers nothing of substance, but, then again, that does seem to be the point. It's far easier to just be outraged at everything and play martyr, after all. Know that in doing so, you accomplish nothing aside from patting yourself on the back and generating a roll of my eyes.

Regarding the nature of this thread, I believe it should be reserved for arguments made in bad faith, made with clear logical fallacies, which wish a direct and malicious harm on others. I believe this has historically been the purpose of this thread. If you wish for this to change, so be it, but the precedent for deeming a post "absurd or ignorant" based on individual disagreement poses a danger to open discourse and civility. If that is your desire, then I feel nothing but pity for the depth of your insecurity.

All I have to say is, you're a terrible, ignorant, and by your own admission anti-modern-medicine person just like the leader of the country whose flag is in your avatar, and you want to bully innocent, oppressed children into using bathrooms that are the opposite of their gender identity. If that isn't wishing harm on people, I don't know what is. Also if we're talking about logical fallacies, your entire second paragraph is a straw man.

Also I love how people have been using this thread to call out bigotry since day one, but as soon as I try to call out transphobia people lash out at me.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1573 on: August 06, 2016, 06:47:06 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1574 on: August 06, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »

All I have to say is, you're a terrible, ignorant, and by your own admission anti-modern-medicine person just like the leader of the country whose flag is in your avatar, and you want to bully innocent, oppressed children into using bathrooms that are the opposite of their gender identity. If that isn't wishing harm on people, I don't know what is. Also if we're talking about logical fallacies, your entire second paragraph is a straw man.

Also I love how people have been using this thread to call out bigotry since day one, but as soon as I try to call out transphobia people lash out at me.

If that's all you have to say, you haven't said anything useful.
How about instead of saying someone is ignorant explain what it is you think they don't know?  And try, instead of saying someone is "anti-modern-medicine," make a medical argument - and please no appeals to authority or the uncritical worship of technology.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies