The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 76
Author Topic: The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V  (Read 202456 times)
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2015, 05:44:13 PM »

Hoffa, to my limited knowledge, as a Teamster supported Republicans. I'll vote for the Michigan Republican & Neo-Liberal Italian over an ex-Democrat Southron and a woman.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2015, 08:06:16 AM »

The rich have always governed human society, since the first cavemen organized themselves. Pretty much, there will always be rich people. They will always have proximity to the levers of power, as opposed to the middle class and working class. That's how human nature was set up; if you have a beef with it, take it up with evolution and how our psychology works. We're not a species conditioned for economic egalitarianism in governing our society.

What's missing from this analysis is a number of things. Wealth is being increasingly made, not from inheritances, but from reaping the rewards of investment in the new fields - technology, green energy, and the like. I should point out that the innovators in these areas are the sorts of rich people we should be encouraging, rather than plundering their manors and burning them at the stake. About only a fifth of wealthy families succeed in staying rich past 3-4 generations, anyway. The Rockefellers and the Carnegies are vastly more rare than you think. Arguably, the rich people we're seeing today are more the Gateses, the Jobs, and the like. They're not old money, they're new money taking advantage of the new economy.

The standard of living - well, everyone on this board is probably among the top 10% in living standards in this world, if not 5%. Really, that's one way to measure wealth, and the United States and Europe have it in spades. Perhaps members of this board should start looking to avoid the pitchforks themselves, rather than dreaming about administering the pitchforks to the bodies of others. I imagine the people of Africa, Asia, and other nations have the same violent fantasies against you people as some of you do about the United States' 1%.

This is not to dismiss income inequality as a problem although I might have more tolerance for it than some of you. This is to dismiss the idea that violent economic revolution solves anything, and that most of the Americans and Europeans on this board are anything but well off relative to the vast majority of the globe.

The notion of everyone being materially equal and the idea of us violently killing and restricting the rich to feed the poor usually ends in miserable disaster and failure for all involved. You can try it again; but the economic literature of such an attempt has usually shown that the "populists" become even worse than the formerly powerful "economic royalists," when handed political power.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2015, 08:48:53 AM »

I think you meant to put that in the good post gallery.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »

Hoffa, to my limited knowledge, as a Teamster supported Republicans. I'll vote for the Michigan Republican & Neo-Liberal Italian over an ex-Democrat Southron and a woman.

http://spartacus-educational.com/USAhoffa.htm
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »

Lincoln 1860/Obama 2012 States: Green
Lincoln 1860/Non-Obama 2012 States: Gold
Non-Lincoln 1860/Obama 2012 States: Red
Non-Lincoln 1860/Non-Obama 2012 States: Blue

Stereotypes:
Green: True Northern, cosmopolitan, pro-minority states, with plenty of liberal whites.
Gold: Populist, blue collar states, with a slight racial bias but some sympathy for minorities.
Red: States overwhelmed with demographic change, whites lean conservative.
Blue: Ultra-conservative, bigoted, regressive, unreconstructed, not changed demographically yet.

Politicians:
Green: Most similar to George McGovern. Looking forward to the future, and to change.
Gold: Most similar to Andrew Johnson. Based in the past, but accept minor changes, and can sometimes seem progressive.
Red: Most similar to Jeb Bush. Moderate right-winger who wants to appeal to minorities.
Blue: Most similar to George Wallace. Conservative and rooted a good 40 years in the past.

Just an utter garbage post
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2015, 01:27:15 PM »

I was more emphasizing how terrible "I'll vote for the Michigan Republican & Neo-Liberal Italian over an ex-Democrat Southron and a woman." is.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »

I was more emphasizing how terrible "I'll vote for the Michigan Republican & Neo-Liberal Italian over an ex-Democrat Southron and a woman." is.
You clearly don't get Cathcon's sense of humor yet.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2015, 01:51:13 PM »

A post using "humor" can also be bad.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »

A post using "humor" can also be bad.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »

So you're a social darwinist too?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »

^ Why has this guy not been banned yet?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2015, 03:14:18 PM »

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2015, 04:07:04 PM »

Lincoln 1860/Obama 2012 States: Green
Lincoln 1860/Non-Obama 2012 States: Gold
Non-Lincoln 1860/Obama 2012 States: Red
Non-Lincoln 1860/Non-Obama 2012 States: Blue

Stereotypes:
Green: True Northern, cosmopolitan, pro-minority states, with plenty of liberal whites.
Gold: Populist, blue collar states, with a slight racial bias but some sympathy for minorities.
Red: States overwhelmed with demographic change, whites lean conservative.
Blue: Ultra-conservative, bigoted, regressive, unreconstructed, not changed demographically yet.

Politicians:
Green: Most similar to George McGovern. Looking forward to the future, and to change.
Gold: Most similar to Andrew Johnson. Based in the past, but accept minor changes, and can sometimes seem progressive.
Red: Most similar to Jeb Bush. Moderate right-winger who wants to appeal to minorities.
Blue: Most similar to George Wallace. Conservative and rooted a good 40 years in the past.

Just an utter garbage post

Indeed. In particular, characterizing New Jersey that way is certainly a new idea.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »

I think no, the main reason being that if Jesus was married, why would they want to hide this?

Additionally, if Jesus' real message differed so greatly from the message we know today, why would the powers that be even use Jesus as a reference point. He's not very well documented, despite what someone else in this thread bizarrely asserted. If Jesus were married, why would an anti-sex movement make him their symbol? Why would they see a passing, second-hand, after-the-fact references to a married guy and say "hey, let's retroactively make him the founder of our weird anti-sex cult" rather than just invent a fake person, who would be only slightly less documented?

The bold parts are what make it absurd, there's ways he could've worded it that would've made some sense but describing Christianity as a "weird anti-sex cult" is really dumb reddit-esque nonsense.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »

I think no, the main reason being that if Jesus was married, why would they want to hide this?

Additionally, if Jesus' real message differed so greatly from the message we know today, why would the powers that be even use Jesus as a reference point. He's not very well documented, despite what someone else in this thread bizarrely asserted. If Jesus were married, why would an anti-sex movement make him their symbol? Why would they see a passing, second-hand, after-the-fact references to a married guy and say "hey, let's retroactively make him the founder of our weird anti-sex cult" rather than just invent a fake person, who would be only slightly less documented?

The bold parts are what make it absurd, there's ways he could've worded it that would've made some sense but describing Christianity as a "weird anti-sex cult" is really dumb reddit-esque nonsense.

While not a part of conventional Christianity, the Gnostic faction of early Christianity certainly was a weird anti-sex cult and even conventional Christianity has tended to revere perpetual celibacy.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2015, 12:32:58 PM »

Truth hurts, I know.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »

Comparing a nation's finances to a household budget is simplistic and ridiculous.

And IIRC, you yourself dismissed such a comparison back in 2012 or 2013 from someone else complaining about an impending debt crisis.

I find most people who worry about the debt like to use the household analogy so I've since turned it to prove how even in household analogy, worrying about the debt is stupid.

It doesn't change the fact that worrying about the debt is stupid.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »

What a embarrassment to the Indian American community. Pandering to the white nativist Christian faction of the party? Dude, you're brown, a son of immigrants, and raised in a different faith. You're not fooling anyone.
What a stupid POS. Junk Governor!
This must be the stupidest post I've seen today. Only race-baiting, no real arguments at all. Clearly, racist attacks on politicians ("dude you're brown" -> implies that his views should be different because of his skin color/ethnic background?) are OK if they're not white and not on the left?

Jindal didn't say anything really strange. As a European I know that, sadly, there are actually no go areas in Europe. France has them, Sweden has them, and the UK definitely has them.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »

It is just pathetic that 56.5% of the site would choose a far-right lunatic for a political office over a conservadem because of "muh pandering" and "muh Oil".

... Palin isn't far-right. Americans know jack about the 'far-right'.
Conservative on more than 55% of issues=far right
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »

It is just pathetic that 56.5% of the site would choose a far-right lunatic for a political office over a conservadem because of "muh pandering" and "muh Oil".

I was parodying a Wulfric quote on the irc
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »

I was parodying a Wulfric quote on the irc
Ah. Consider that un-deluged.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »

I'm kind of astonished no one has put this here already:

No normalization until Cuba adopts capitalism and stops supporting left-wing dictatorships in the rest of Latin America. Then sure, we can cede a random exclave, why not.
Why the hell should a country switch economic systems just because the USA told them?

Cuba shouldn't switch economic systems because the USA tells them to, but rather for the general well-being of their people. Switching to capitalism would still be the correct move even if the USA were not a capitalist state.

Also, left wing dictatorships? Last I checked they were all democracies.

Well, when did you check? The last time there were no left-wing dictatorships in Latin America was, I think, sometime in the mid-1990s (though I might be forgetting someone).

No normalization until Cuba adopts capitalism and stops supporting left-wing dictatorships in the rest of Latin America. Then sure, we can cede a random exclave, why not.

Telling that you prioritize capitalism over democracy.

Where did I say that? Democracy hasn't been discussed at all in this thread, or in my post.

Why the hell should a country switch economic systems just because the USA told them? Also, left wing dictatorships? Last I checked they were all democracies.
Any left-wing government is a dictatorship.

Not so. Scandinavian countries for decades on end were ruled by social democratic parties -- including people as extreme as Olof Palme -- and remained composed of democracies.

Pinochet was not a dictator, however.

There seems to be a deal of confusion on the forum about my beliefs about Chile through the 1970-1989 era, so let me take a paragraph to set the record straight: Pinochet was a brutal right-wing dictator, under whose rule opposition was suppressed and tens of thousands were tortured or "disappeared". However, Allende, his left-wing predecessor (besides behaving in a very autocratic manner himself) led a foreign policy of friendship towards left-wing dictatorships whose actions resulted in the deaths of more innocents than Pinochet ever dreamed of killing. That is why I have noted, in thread after thread, and still feel, that Pinochet was "better" or preferable to Allende.

Raul Castro and his "bro" can turn a stool over and sit on it for all I care.....as if these bastards have any right whatsoever to be making demands

^^

Bolded the extra absurdity.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »

I guess from the Panhandle you are faster in somewhat acceptable places, while in NW Arkansas, you are surrounded by what? Kansas? Oklahoma? Duh.
What are the "acceptable places" near the panhandle? Alabama? Mississippi?

Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans...
Acceptable was probably too much Tongue
All of those places are very far from the Panhandle. Google Map them. You may be surprised by how far.

New Orleans isn't all that far from the panhandle.  It's maybe 2-3 hours from Pensacola and is on the Gulf Coast itself.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2015, 11:48:31 PM by Monarch »

New Orleans is 3 hours from Pensacola, though?

edited to give proper emphasis
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2015, 11:47:22 PM »

Google Maps says 2 hours 58 minutes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 76