The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:50:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 76
Author Topic: The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V  (Read 202479 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: August 06, 2016, 07:22:05 PM »

Since this is my thread can I make a rule that it's only for dumb posts and not for extended off-topic discussions?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1576 on: August 06, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »

I'm not a doctor or a medical expert, but I'll do my best:

Biology is complicated. There are mammals that can fly. There are salamanders that are neotenic. There are people who are born with the wrong number of body parts. Based on all the complicated things that can happen in nature, it's pretty naive to think that sex and gender are a synonymous and immutable concept that can never ever ever be changed.

Also, who are you exactly to tell people that their gender identity is wrong? If someone feels they're a woman, it's pretty awful to tell them that they're wrong just because some guy on the Internet can't stand the idea that rules have exceptions and takes it out on people who don't fit into his simplistic understanding of biology.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1577 on: August 06, 2016, 07:46:04 PM »

If that's all you have to say, you haven't said anything useful.
How about instead of saying someone is ignorant explain what it is you think they don't know?  And try, instead of saying someone is "anti-modern-medicine," make a medical argument - and please no appeals to authority or the uncritical worship of technology.

That's literally not how science works.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1578 on: August 07, 2016, 04:15:47 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2016, 04:25:51 AM by who, unfortunately, did. »

I recognize that I've pissed away my ability to speak with any semblance of moral authority on this through my antics over the past two years, but I hope for purposes of this post that I've also made my opinion an object of interest to somebody. All that I really want to say right now is that I would hope that people of goodwill could perhaps agree to think of sex reassignment, for people capable of informed medical consent in general, as a form of harm reduction or palliative care, rather than twisting ourselves in knots and navel-gazing over what 'gender' (a concept so deliberately amorphously defined as to open the possibility that literally nobody thinks it means the same thing) really is, or agonizing over who's homophobic or who's transphobic or who's 'colonizing womanhoood' or who's 'the annihilation of man'. We don't have to all have the same revanchist interpretations of Genesis 1.28 or postmodernist interpretations of the life sciences in order to live civilly together and come to compromises that piss us off and please nobody and make us die a little inside but grin and bear it because that's what decent people living in a society do. If my entire small town as a child could agree not to talk about Mr. Bialczak's whereabouts after his third hospitalization, then we as a people can be decent to one another about the [Inks]ing Bathroom Question, for goodness' sake.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1579 on: August 07, 2016, 04:43:58 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2016, 05:26:09 AM by shua »

How about instead of saying someone is ignorant explain what it is you think they don't know?  And try, instead of saying someone is "anti-modern-medicine," make a medical argument - and please no appeals to authority or the uncritical worship of technology.

"Such-and-such organization of scientists supports this position therefore another position is automatically unscientific" is a common argument, but not a good one, at least not in itself.

I recognize that I've pissed away my ability to speak with any semblance of moral authority on this through my antics over the past two years, but I hope for purposes of this post that I've also made my opinion an object of interest to somebody. All that I really want to say right now is that I would hope that people of goodwill could perhaps agree to think of sex reassignment, for people capable of informed medical consent in general, as a form of harm reduction or palliative care, rather than twisting ourselves in knots and navel-gazing over what 'gender' (a concept so deliberately amorphously defined as to open the possibility that literally nobody thinks it means the same thing) really is, or agonizing over who's homophobic or who's transphobic or who's 'colonizing womanhoood' or who's 'the annihilation of man'. We don't have to all have the same revanchist interpretations of Genesis 1.28 or postmodernist interpretations of the life sciences in order to live civilly together and come to compromises that piss us off and please nobody and make us die a little inside but grin and bear it because that's what decent people living in a society do. If my entire small town as a child could agree not to talk about Mr. Bialczak's whereabouts after his third hospitalization, then we as a people can be decent to one another about the [Inks]ing Bathroom Question, for goodness' sake.

You've been through this and approached it from different perspectives in your own life. You have as much moral authority on this as anyone.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1580 on: August 07, 2016, 05:33:58 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2016, 05:35:47 AM by a.scott »

"Such-and-such organization of scientists supports this position therefore another position is automatically unscientific" is a common argument, but not a good one, at least not in itself.

Put into those terms, it's not a good argument, but science almost always relies on expert opinion and consensus, especially when those having the conversation are not scientists themselves.

I think Madeline, as usual, sums up this "issue" well.  This is not something most people should concern themselves with at all, really, unless they are or have close ties with a trans person or are otherwise certified to work with people who have gender dysphoria.  Unfortunately, it's hard enough getting people to accept this protocol because everything in science must have a hidden PC "agenda" behind it.

But as far as bathrooms are concerned - think of it this way: if someone wants to rape a person, a gender sign is no more a deterrent than a "gun free zone" sign is.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1581 on: August 07, 2016, 06:45:34 AM »

Wow, guys, did you know there was a "Political Debate" forum for this type of argument? Neither did I!

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=20.0
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1582 on: August 07, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »

I think Madeline, as usual, sums up this "issue" well.

It's Nathan, again, at this point, which is part of why I'm concerned about not being fairly able to say much about it.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1583 on: August 09, 2016, 07:51:20 AM »

Petition to rename this thread after Seriously?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1584 on: August 09, 2016, 06:31:29 PM »

Petition to rename this thread after Seriously?

x IceSpear
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1585 on: August 09, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »

Are you really going to sit here and argue that racism in West Virginia is somehow worse than racism in The Holy Democratic Mecha of Boston, Massachusetts? I mean really, it's this type of elitist horsesh**t that has enabled the GOP to take over so many formerly Democratic bastions of the South, and subject a region full of poor people to "Muh trickle-down economics." Instead of promoting racial equality while at the same time supporting economic policies that help both poor blacks and poor whites, we have a nominee that thinks people that make $150K/yr are "middle class." Meanwhile, as you were sitting here crying yourself to sleep over the idea of the first female president, Donald Trump snuck in and convinced many poor white people that their enemy was definitely not the 1%'ers that run the GOP; the same people who pay them $7.25/hr and only give them 25 hours per week, meaning they have to work a second awful job. Instead, he blamed it all not only on immigrants, but on greedy democrats who made over $150 million on speaking fees alone.

How was he able to do such a thing? Oh, that's right, because as it would turn out, Donald Trump is actually at his best when he talks about Hillary Clinton, and avoids pretty much any other topic of conversation. West Virginians and other impoverished southerners might not be so uptight about black people and hispanics if they actually had a party that fought for their situation instead of spitting in their collective faces telling them how racist, and stupid they are. Hell maybe Donald Trump and the Republicans wouldn't be polling 60% in a state that based on demographics should still be a Democratic stronghold, if the Clintonites didn't openly state that they want to take away one of the few major sources of jobs in a state that is already very impoverished in comparison to most parts of the country.

I'm mainly posting this here due to pairing left wing populist rage with a "Gary Johnson 2016!" signature.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1586 on: August 09, 2016, 07:17:39 PM »

Are you really going to sit here and argue that racism in West Virginia is somehow worse than racism in The Holy Democratic Mecha of Boston, Massachusetts? I mean really, it's this type of elitist horsesh**t that has enabled the GOP to take over so many formerly Democratic bastions of the South, and subject a region full of poor people to "Muh trickle-down economics." Instead of promoting racial equality while at the same time supporting economic policies that help both poor blacks and poor whites, we have a nominee that thinks people that make $150K/yr are "middle class." Meanwhile, as you were sitting here crying yourself to sleep over the idea of the first female president, Donald Trump snuck in and convinced many poor white people that their enemy was definitely not the 1%'ers that run the GOP; the same people who pay them $7.25/hr and only give them 25 hours per week, meaning they have to work a second awful job. Instead, he blamed it all not only on immigrants, but on greedy democrats who made over $150 million on speaking fees alone.

How was he able to do such a thing? Oh, that's right, because as it would turn out, Donald Trump is actually at his best when he talks about Hillary Clinton, and avoids pretty much any other topic of conversation. West Virginians and other impoverished southerners might not be so uptight about black people and hispanics if they actually had a party that fought for their situation instead of spitting in their collective faces telling them how racist, and stupid they are. Hell maybe Donald Trump and the Republicans wouldn't be polling 60% in a state that based on demographics should still be a Democratic stronghold, if the Clintonites didn't openly state that they want to take away one of the few major sources of jobs in a state that is already very impoverished in comparison to most parts of the country.

I'm mainly posting this here due to pairing left wing populist rage with a "Gary Johnson 2016!" signature.

It's also a terrible post
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1587 on: August 09, 2016, 07:22:31 PM »

It's also a terrible post

I agree, but I can at least respect the argument. Pairing it with a Gary Johnson signature just brings the absurdity level so high it's impossible to take seriously.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1588 on: August 10, 2016, 03:07:23 AM »

Oh for f**k's sake. This kind of post doesn't belong in here. Stop being f**king hacks for a second.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1589 on: August 10, 2016, 06:43:39 AM »

I realy wish IceSpear would develop more diverse range of topics, instead of "Hillary Clinton" and "WV is racist".
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1590 on: August 10, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »

Oh for f**k's sake. This kind of post doesn't belong in here. Stop being f**king hacks for a second.
Stop being overdramatic.  It can't be good for one's health.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1591 on: August 10, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »

Stop being overdramatic.  It can't be good for one's health.
You have really sunken to rock bottom now. You react angrily and aggressively to everyone who dares to disagree with you. Knock it off, dude.

Yeah, the Second Amendment folks and the NRA will dump millions into the midterms, hold or take back the Senate, and prevent her from nominating any judges. They'll take care of her just like Trump said when he referenced the midterms in that sentence.

Quit deflecting from this very serious report.

It's not a serious report, it's more grasping at straws from Judicial Watch. Second, Trump never mentioned a midterm election or any election at all, you are putting words in his mouth that he never said. He stated that if she was able to nominate judges that there was nothing anyone could do, except the Second Amendment people.

Violence is not okay, but some people need a visit at home from the Secret Service to know that. You might not like Clinton, but she doesn't deserve to be murdered.
BTW, Dr.Scholl is threatening to report me to the Secret Service because he is under the delusion that my interpretation of Trump's comment is akin to me directly making a threat. This is a rather serious allegation to make on here, and I think this is itself is a threat.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #1592 on: August 10, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »

This thread is becoming so sad.  Shame on all of you.

Maybe I need to make a thread speculating on when Tim Kaine will be assassinated.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1593 on: August 10, 2016, 03:14:13 PM »

lol

Feel free to try to square that post with supporting Gary Johnson. I eagerly await your reply.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1594 on: August 10, 2016, 08:33:51 PM »

There really is not a party that matches European Liberal Conservatism in the US. She is not as nutty as those is the Green Party, but is far to the left of the Democrats, so I would say that she really does not fit into any party in the US.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1595 on: August 10, 2016, 08:57:46 PM »

I realy wish IceSpear would develop more diverse range of topics, instead of "Hillary Clinton" and "WV is racist".
He's branching out to "Oklahoma is terrible."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1596 on: August 10, 2016, 11:37:02 PM »

X badger
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1597 on: August 10, 2016, 11:39:15 PM »

X L.D. Smith
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1598 on: August 11, 2016, 01:07:25 AM »

Context:

Idk, probably Socialist, but she also fits pretty well in the Libertarian or Green party.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #1599 on: August 11, 2016, 01:07:56 AM »

booooooo
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies