The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:37:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V  (Read 204841 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 13, 2015, 10:59:50 AM »

The Mormon mission ritual is the only positive aspect of the faith. It forces many Mormon men to become somewhat cultured/cosmopolitan/bilingual.

I don't even know where the the hell to begin with this one.

First it assumes a lack of culture, which considering only atheists and Jews have us beat when it comes to knowledge other religious cultures.

Secondly, it ignores a helluva lot other aspects,...ya' know like the fact that we banded together and did more for Katrina than the Government itself did. Or that we're excellent at charitable things in general. Such as the storehouses we tend to have.

And to doubt the motives of this one, is whiny cynicism at best...bigotry at worst.

It's incredible that posts like this one even EXIST.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »

The Mormon mission ritual is the only positive aspect of the faith. It forces many Mormon men to become somewhat cultured/cosmopolitan/bilingual.

I don't even know where the the hell to begin with this one.

First it assumes a lack of culture, which considering only atheists and Jews have us beat when it comes to knowledge other religious cultures.

Secondly, it ignores a helluva lot other aspects,...ya' know like the fact that we banded together and did more for Katrina than the Government itself did. Or that we're excellent at charitable things in general. Such as the storehouses we tend to have.

And to doubt the motives of this one, is whiny cynicism at best...bigotry at worst.

It's incredible that posts like this one even EXIST.

You obviously haven't been here too long.  Posts like these are more par the course than not.

Obviously it isn't justified, but a lot of the anti-Mormonism is more out of pure ignorance of what you guys actually believe/practice now days.  Of course, this isn't much different than many people who think Islam is a naturally reactionary religiono that teaches it's followers to make women slaves or to kill all infidels.  Truth is, most monotheistic religious traditions that extend back to the 19th century or before are going to have a pretty controversial past and even some crazy things found in their texts.  It is hardly fair to conclude that a practicioner of said religion is a retrobate just because a few centuries ago they were doing crazy sh*t.

Just my two cents.

Oh I've seen plenty of crazier stuff than this, but most of it has had decent points. It's amazing that those exist too.

But this is pointless, hypocritical, bigoted, and myopic without any merit.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:34:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And the religious bigotry continues.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »

No. Feminism is the solution to nothing, and shouldn't exist in modern society in any way, shape or form.

Wow, this is undoubtedly one of the worst posts I've ever seen.

Agreed.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 06:10:31 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

No post that contains >implying belongs in this thread.

Or that non-ironically complains about political correctness jesus christ.

There are exceptions to the rule, as proven by R2's nasty insinuations that needed to be called out.

Also the implication that PC is always some kind of protector and doesn't itself carry nasty implication for those it tries to protect. Or worse, it diverts away from an even bigger issue by setting up a semantics debate.

That and that non-PC accusations are used to shut-down, and not just by liberals

By Jove, the unwavering faith in PC/non-PC without any introspection is sickening. It too must be balanced out depending on context.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »

Huckabee is yesterday's news and so too is, Obama. Huckabee is like the energizer bunny, he never stops running - his mouth too; think he likes the sound of his voice, doesn't the guy realize that his 15 minutes are up. As for Obama, no surprise about his disdain for Israel, given his middle name is Hussein and it is likely he harbor's those anti-Jewish tendencies most of his life. Probably is a closet Muslim, and you can only see it, from his continuous apologizing to "those ones". 22 months and counting before he goes, and we are stuck with him and his fecklessness until then. His 15 minutes came and went along time ago.

Low hanging fruit this one, but nonetheless relevant.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2015, 12:45:48 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

We don't need your pity, when it comes down to it, the insane resilience does enough for the usual things the rest of you losers need  that much caffeine for Wink

I don't think you understand (now there's a surprise!). Tea and coffee taste good. I mean, instant coffee is dreck, of course, but the actual stuff is delicious.

Maybe, maybe not...either way it's still a sad state to get to the point of dependence on it...dependence/addiction is generally speaking a bad place to be in.

Roll Eyes You realize we're talking about caffeine here right? For some of us (especially those of us with a bit of ADHD) it's a crucial aid to getting things done. Jesus man, is there anything you're allowed to enjoy? I really am glad that I'm not part of the grand scam of mormonism that requires living a dreadfully boring existence in return for some supposed path to heaven.

And there goes the hypocrisy of the latte-sipping left again. Claiming to love different lifestyles, but then they go off and call other lifestyles "scams" or "boring". Truly they are no different from your average Liberty University/ Provo Mormon Evangelical in that sense.

I shall note the whole thread that I've never criticized anyone for drinking caffeinated things or boozing up or drugs or what have you.

I also never said I never had caffeine, just that it wasn't something I had often for the sake of temperance.

But the whole thread has been nonsense criticism of those who dissent from addiction on principle, and even people who just plain old don't like coffee.

NOTE: I don't know nor care if Matt actually is a serious latte sipper, or mocha dude, or straight black coffee or what have you...latte sipping has better alliteration. And I still detest that sort of extremism

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »

I think MormDem needs to calm down. I recommend a cup of tea.

To be fair, I think every one us would be a bit salty if our religion was joked every other post.
^^
Mormons take a lot of heat around here.

If his convictions are strong that shouldn't matter.  Wanna believe stuff that wildly contradicts the experience of reality?  Might take some heat.  No one has the right to not be offended.  I think it should be extended to all religion, obviously, the 3 major monotheisms all have their fair share of batsh*t nonsense, but it's no wonder that Mormonism gets a heavy dose of it, as Nagas just explained.  

There's a difference between taking issue with and mocking some of the weirder stuff and slander/libel of the sort as just displayed.

And just because one has convictions doesn't mean they have to deal with crap like this. BS line crossing can and should be called out. I highly doubt you're be so keen on that same standard when dealing with anti-atheism yourself wherever the hell you have to deal with it.

I think MormDem needs to calm down. I recommend a cup of tea.

To be fair, I think every one us would be a bit salty if our religion was joked every other post.
^^
Mormons take a lot of heat around here.

But this is understandable. The other major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.) get to obfuscate their origins under 2,000+ years of history. Mormonism is much younger, its origins and history much more documented, and therefore collapses under a far lower bar of scrutiny.

Just because it's understandable doesn't make it correct or justified.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »

Since when does oakvale joke?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »

You think they care for the poor here? The party is responsible for institutionalizing poverty, and spending all of our investment capital on seniors who aren't in need.

Democrats can say whatever they want, but their actions prove that they loathe the poor. 

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »

"Cry me a river" about slaughtering people in the millions because of a psychotic machismo?

It wasn't that simple and you know it. It's not like the whole thing was his idea. It was widely believed in Washington that South Vietnam would just be the first "domino" to fall leading to Communist domination of Indo-China and Thailand.

Once the going got rough we couldn't "just withdraw" or else we would look weak in the eyes of the world. Geo-politics isn't pretty. It just really seems like a lot of people on this forum just utterly don't get how these things work.

"It wasn't that simple and you know it. It's not like the whole thing was his idea. It was widely believed in Washington that Georgia would just be the first "domino" to fall leading to Indian domination of Carolina and Virginia.

Once the going got rough we couldn't "just withdraw" or else we would look weak in the eyes of the world. Geo-politics isn't pretty. It just really seems like a lot of people on this forum just utterly don't get how these things work."
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »

There is no need for Christianity to change. Just leave it behind.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »

"Retarded" as an adjective is one thing, but "retard" as a noun used as an insult is comparable to nigg-r, fagg-t, etc.
Comparing the word "retard" to the n-word is really the ultimate example of clueless whiteness.

Tell me, when were the mentally disabled ever:
-Treated as property to be beaten, whipped, tortured, raped, etc. etc. at their owners' mercy
-Denied the basic rights to vote, of freedom of expression, of freedom of speech, etc. because they were mentally disabled
-Villainized as barely-human, degenerate rapist monsters in critically acclaimed motion picture works
-Brutally tortured and killed for flirting with non-disabled individuals
-Savaged by police dogs for peacefully marching for their rights
-etc. etc.

I mean, dear lord. I know it is not easy to get by as a mentally disabled person in this country, or any country. But the fact of the matter is, the mentally disabled in this country have not experienced a FRACTION of the oppression blacks have, and trying to make that comparison just betrays an utter lack of understanding of this country's long and tortured history of race.

Clearly IBL doesn't have much of a clue regarding the history of how the mentally ill were treated. Oh he admits it, but it's not enough.

But what's worse is that he didn't even need to go through all that, he didn't need to make that comparison...he only needed the first sentence and it should've spoken for itself. Instead he resorted to a "Who's had it worse" Oppression Olympics, which is of no help to any kind of social justice.

And the post has no consideration for those who are black and mentally disabled.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »

It's a factual statement. Not apologizing for it. Jimmy Carter is a joke.

Camp David, creating the Department of Education, Panama Canal Treaty, the mental health legislation, and respect for this planet are not jokes.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »

I honestly don't give a damn if Serbs died. America comes first to me.

MUH ARBITRARY LINES ON A MAP

Commie, there are things such as cultures, etc. Not just lines on a map. I care about my country - not someone else's. I know you as a Commie, you want to pretend countries, cultures, languages don't exist - you and your little Frankfurt School, America hating views - but no one will ever, ever accept Communism in this country.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 12:00:33 AM »

What?

>Claims to stand against gender discrimination.
>Has "Catholic" in the name.

Such a progressive

Uh, the Catholic church is not exactly progressive on gender discrimination.

No woman will ever lead the Catholic church, or hold any leadership position at all in it. And as I've said before, this issue is an absolute dealbreaker for me. I will never hold any type of affiliation with any church for which that is the case. 100% non-negotiable.

What?

>Claims to stand against gender discrimination.
>Has "Catholic" in the name.

Your anti-Catholicism is very silly.

See above.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »

1. Donald Trump
Donald Trump has a history of supporting higher taxes, gun control, and he still stands behind his support for protective tariffs and opposition to overthrowing Saddam Hussein. Additionally, Trump is the king of corporate welfare, has donated to Hillary Clinton, and says Bill Clinton is his favorite President since 1989.

2. Chris Christie
In New Jersey, Chris Christie failed to cut taxes despite promising to do so in 2009, and he actually reduced property tax relief and tax relief for the working poor. He increased spending on education as the state increased it's debt and has seen 8 credit downgrades under his watch, he's presided over record corporate welfare that he has supported, he expanded medicaid under Obamacare, and his administration has an abysmal record of property rights. Christie says that it was a mistake to go into Iraq in 2003 despite the evidence saying otherwise.

3. Rand Paul
Perhaps more than anyone else on this list, Rand Paul has tremendous appeal to the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. He wants to allow felons to vote, he has reservations about the death penalty for the worst of murderers, he has filibustered the Patriot Act and drones against terrorists, he opposed sanctions against Iran, he has flip-flopped on keeping GITMO open, and he supports the government picking winners and losers in our tax code. Paul could run as an alternative to Hillary Clinton on foreign policy, to the left of her if that's even possible.

4. George Pataki
George Pataki is pro-choice, signed into law some of the toughest gun laws in America, and he increased taxes by $3 billion in his final term in office.

Ideological fanaticism at work.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2015, 07:37:53 PM by L.D. Smith, Bay Area Conservadem »

No, Oldies, just because he hired jewish people, that does not mean he isn't anti-Semitic. Nixon hired the Stein family as speech writers, and it is quite hard to deny that Nixon was an anti-Semite.
I haven't seen any evidence that Nixon was anti-Semitic.
You do realize he made anti-Nazi propaganda films during World War II, right?  I doubt the government would have made him do that if they thought he was pro-Hitler or anti-Semitic.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 11:28:09 AM »

My presence on the ticket might drag things down but seriously, how can anyone vote against Cathcon?  Tongue

Mung Beans is just simply cooler, that's why.

Oh s*d off.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:53 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2015, 01:12:34 AM by L.D. Smith, Bay Area Conservadem »

I don't like cursing that much, so I naturally tend to censor myself with very very rare exceptions.

Anyway, a far "better" post would have to be:

Then why does he always talk like a teenager in every single interview he's ever given? Maybe he just plays stupid then? To me it's much more than a play though. I have absolutely no doubt that his IQ is even much lower than George W. Bush's. People say W's IQ is 125, well then Cruz's can definitely not be higher than 110-115, which explains why he always communicates like an obnoxious teenager. Obama's & Hillary's are both between 140 and 150.

Because you don't like or agree with Cruz and think he talks like a teenager when he actually does not.  Meanwhile, you like and agree with Obama and Hillary and therefore think they are smart.

Objectively, Ted Cruz is one of the smartest candidates on either side of the race right now.  I doubt his IQ is low or even just slightly above average.  Persons with low or average IQs don't graduate at the top of their class from Harvard Law School or clerk for the Supreme Court.

If he was so smart as you claim, he wouldn't have been the prototype of the US clown for the past 5 years due to his refusal to let millions of government workers do their job. It's quite incredible that one single person can paralyze a whole nation for weeks. Because of him, the US economy was seriously hurt for months. Sounds like the modern Einstein to me. I don't care if he's taken some random exam or has talked to some random Supreme Court justice. The fact that he is seen as the obsolute clown by 7 billion people around the world (and no, I'm not talking about Trump in fact!) should tell you everything you need to know. NO, obviously Cruz is not very smart.

Lots of things wrong with this, but first and foremost is the obvious "Far-right GOP = idiot/ Leftist Dems =Smart because that's who I agree with" fallacy. (Never mind Paul Ryan is definitely no dummy and Bruce Braley definitely didn't come off as very sharp)

More startling is the dismissiveness as stupidity rather than shameless pandering for power.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 09:53:06 PM »

Classic maxque

The ÖVP did an internal poll the last few days in Upper Austria, about which topic is most debated among voters right now and in their families:

3/4 said "immigration/refugees"

Just 6% said "labour/unemployment".

This election will turn into an epic disaster for ÖVP-SPÖ, if these numbers are true ...

Like I said earlier, it's a glaring failure than Allies failed to de-nazify Austria, like they did with Germany.

I see nothing at all objectionable about this post. The notion that the Austrians were the first victims of Nazism is deeply pernicious in a very obvious way.

Don't bother with him.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »

Family Guy only uses sexism to make fun of sexists. Peter says sexists things all the time but the point is he only does so because he is so f[inks]ing stupid and unprogressive.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 09:44:26 PM »

Nixon managed to get a generation to hate protestors by calling them bums, and get people to believe in a secret plan to end the 'Nam War with no proof, while secretly doing the opposite.

Hillary can't even convince people that nothing happened just because she dared keep her regular email address.

Obviously Nixon's more charismatic here, but this is not a good thing.

Nixon also won against the 1972 Bernie Sanders prototype. I wish Nixon was alive and able to run next year.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 12:47:50 AM »

Yes. Being originally from Texas I can't help but love the family. Do I think he was a particularly good president? No. Do I think he truly wanted to do what was best and respected the office as he held it with class? Absolutely. Do I believe he was a better president that Pres. Obama? YES

Before anyone asks I am not pro-Patriot Act or NSA, nor do I in any way shape or form support Jeb Bush in 2016...

How is he better than Obama?
He had class. He had strength. He united the nation. Every year under Bush, the President of the United States was ranked the most powerful man in the world by various news sources. Since President Obama took office, the office dropped to number three. We aren't respected, the recovery was the slowest in history, foreign nations don't respect us, ISIS is rampant (at the fail of Pres. Bush for going in, but Pres. Obama for funding rebels and destabilizing the reason with a swift, ill advised withdraw), and Obamacare is hurting families, mine included in particular. He refuses to call Islamic extremism by its name and says Christians are intolerant and need to change our religion. He made no similar claims to Islam or Judaism.  He's a poor leader, and it shows daily. I want someone like Bush, who brought us together as a nation and a firm figurehead and truly wanted to do what was best for our nation. That's my rant.

American Exceptionalism and neocon bs rears its ugly head.

Oh and other moronic right-wing talking points.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »

Lol. How dare she say something nice about someone at their funeral! She should drop out. This is almost as bad as that time Trent Lott said something nice about someone at their 100th Birthday celebration and had to resign. Seriously, the public reads way too much into general courtesy.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies