The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:16:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V  (Read 203749 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: December 29, 2014, 01:31:27 AM »

Sol is a homophone.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »

orange you glad I didn't say banana.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »

P.S. Guys, let's not forget that most men and women are still "straight". And that these people have rights too. And they must be respected and preserved no less then  rights of LGBT people.. Some liberals seem to forget about that...

This is disgusting.

smoltchanov is one of the worst posters on the forum. He isn't covered much because his content is limited to a couple of boards, of which people like NYE or OC dominate.

At least his posts make for interesting reading. What are your contributions to the forum again besides insulting people?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »

That is actually one of the most intelligent things I have ever seen Bushie post, and it indicates that at least one poster here understands how scientific knowledge works.  Scientific knowledge is testable and tentative.  It is a great frustration among scientists everywhere that the public understands the dogma of science so little.  The fact that at least one non-scientist on this forum understands this is refreshing.  At least to me it is.

Facts are data.  Data are observations.  Observations are not rules.  Rules are laws, empirically-determined and reproducible.  The conclusions drawn from those observations--observables, data, and facts--and the models which are built upon those analyses, are always subject to future debate.  Understanding this is central to understanding how scientific knowledge is established.  (And how it is overturned, which happens frequently.)

I've never posted in this particular thread, but memphis' inclusion of Bushie's insightful post definitely merits comment.  I'm not picking on memphis in particular, because I think his misgivings are common.  We need to do a much better job at explaining how scientific facts are collected and how scientific knowledge is established.  Bushie seems to have paid attention to his instructors at least once.
Within the context of where the quote came from, it is, indeed, an absurd, ignorant statement.

No, it makes full sense that someone can find something helpful to how they feel that they don't have a scientific explanation for. The idea that someone might find Sprite easier on a nauseous stomach than water isn't some outlandish idea anyway. If only Bushie knew a little science though, he might realize that King's statement that Sprite is functionally equivalent to Coke isn't accurate anyway, given things like caffeine and pH (Sprite is actually less acidic than Coke, not more).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:01:44 PM »

Not to mention that Rape is much worse than being falsely accused of rape.

This is very, very debatable. An argument could be made that there are actually more long standing ramifications of being falsely accused.

Jesus Christ, just ban this guy already.
Yeah, people have a right to hold terrible opinions. We call it freedom of speech.

This is a private forum. Cory is a cancer. He needs to be eliminated.

Yes, it's a private forum operated by someone who would not approve of your post calling someone a cancer and calling for their elimination.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:41:35 PM »

LOL NO, without LBJ poverty would be much worse. Vietnam was unfortunate but many Presidents have killed more.

I'd like to see statistical evidence that LBJ's policies have helped Black people or poor people.

lol evidence, amirite?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »

in which shua compares gay marriages and bar mitzvahs to burning qur'ans:

This is an outrage and massive infringement on the personal freedom of these bakers! What's next, they'll be forced to bake cakes for blacks and Hispanics, because of a religiously justified opposition to their skin color!?

I wonder if people believe a baker should be allowed to close their doors to Jews looking for a cake for a bar mitzvah because of the baker's religious views.

I wonder if people believe a Muslim bookseller should have to sell an (Arabic) Quran to Pastor Terry Jones. 

(No, I don't really wonder, I already know they do. Same people who hate conservative Christians hate Orthodox Jews and Muslims, more often than not.)
  lol because bar mitzvahs was totes a legit comparison amirite?  You know nothing about religion, so shut the hell up.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:57:54 PM »

in which shua compares gay marriages and bar mitzvahs to burning qur'ans:

This is an outrage and massive infringement on the personal freedom of these bakers! What's next, they'll be forced to bake cakes for blacks and Hispanics, because of a religiously justified opposition to their skin color!?

I wonder if people believe a baker should be allowed to close their doors to Jews looking for a cake for a bar mitzvah because of the baker's religious views.

I wonder if people believe a Muslim bookseller should have to sell an (Arabic) Quran to Pastor Terry Jones. 

(No, I don't really wonder, I already know they do. Same people who hate conservative Christians hate Orthodox Jews and Muslims, more often than not.)
  lol because bar mitzvahs was totes a legit comparison amirite?  You know nothing about religion, so shut the hell up.

thank you for posting directly into the deluge. Smiley

Sure, I had to make sure your whatever your reply to it was ended up in the right place.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:01 AM »

If Ben Carson's surge is to be believed, then I think gravity is already doing so.

The vast majority of Carson's support can be attributed to the Bradley effect.

There is no longer any such thing

Why are you putting this here?  If you want to argue otherwise, give some evidence. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 10:49:23 PM »

Classic maxque

The ÖVP did an internal poll the last few days in Upper Austria, about which topic is most debated among voters right now and in their families:

3/4 said "immigration/refugees"

Just 6% said "labour/unemployment".

This election will turn into an epic disaster for ÖVP-SPÖ, if these numbers are true ...

Like I said earlier, it's a glaring failure than Allies failed to de-nazify Austria, like they did with Germany.

I see nothing at all objectionable about this post. The notion that the Austrians were the first victims of Nazism is deeply pernicious in a very obvious way.

the idea that de-Nazification would have had any effect on reducing present day anti-immigrant sentiment makes sense to you?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »

Classic maxque

The ÖVP did an internal poll the last few days in Upper Austria, about which topic is most debated among voters right now and in their families:

3/4 said "immigration/refugees"

Just 6% said "labour/unemployment".

This election will turn into an epic disaster for ÖVP-SPÖ, if these numbers are true ...

Like I said earlier, it's a glaring failure than Allies failed to de-nazify Austria, like they did with Germany.

I see nothing at all objectionable about this post. The notion that the Austrians were the first victims of Nazism is deeply pernicious in a very obvious way.

the idea that de-Nazification would have had any effect on reducing present day anti-immigrant sentiment makes sense to you?

Yes, it does. Extreme anti-foreign statements are far less common in German political discourse than in that of neighboring countries, and this has a lot to do with that sort of thing being considered outside the pale in Germany. You may or may not consider that a good thing, but it's there.

And this difference between Germany and Austria is the accomplishment of the inconsistently applied and deeply unpopular Allied measures in Germany attempted for a few years after the war?  Wow.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 10:52:14 PM »

Yes, and some of the things that circulate as acceptable and normal in the social-liberal free-for-all, for instance all this transgender nonsense, are so offensive ...  As someone who considers himself center-right on fiscal issues and center-left on social issues,

ayy. More evidence why FCBSL's are terrible.

What do you have against the Florida Conference of Black State Legislators?

FCBSL is some French football team apparently.  I'm guessing SillyAmerican is a fan.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:24:40 AM »

Had great family trip to Warmia-Masuria. Now, being exhausted and having by eyes bleeding, I'm off to bed.
is that considered part of  Eastern Poland?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 10:34:11 AM »

Not surprising. The guy frequented a gay bar.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »

Wow, people are still talking about his. Okay. Let's get some things straight:

I vehemently disagree with the medical establishment concerning the diagnosis and treatment of gender dysphoria. I further vehemently disagree with the linguistic distinction, categorization, and protection of gender as an individual trait that is not either subsumed by sex or personality. I further believe that sex is an immutable chromosomal fact that can not be changed by hormones or surgery. I acknowledge the existence of norms prescribed by society with regard to sexual distinction and believe them to have some basis in underlying trends but that they should not be forced upon an individual, nor should an individual should feel strictly beholden to them. I do not believe a disconnect between someone's personality and the societal norms of their sex comprise a valid basis for "transition" through hormones and surgery.

Additionally, I believe that this Balkanistic "essentialism" displayed by the modern left wherein an individual only amounts to the sum of their inherent labels and categories (cis/trans, gay/straight, abled/disabled, and the infinite progression of "genders" to describe every flavor of preference under the sun) is highly dangerous and self-destructive. This overcategorization denies the inherent dignity of each person as a unique individual and divides people unnecessarily. When we entrench the idea that people are only special if they have a unique skin color or sexual preference or mental disorder and only outside recognition of this label will fulfill them, we reject that truth that people are already special and unique regardless of category or label and that fulfillment only arrives through ourselves, not from others.

I believe these things independent of any religious basis.

I do not wish harm on any person. I harbor no hatred toward people who believe themselves to be transgender. In fact, I greatly pity the vast majority of them. I can only imagine the mental anguish they experience. However, I do not believe the "cure" society has proscribed is the best solution to their problem, and it represents an affront to what I understand to be the purpose of medicine and mental health and the nature of any objective reality.

If you wish to define this attitude as "transphobic" and use it as a bludgeon, that is your prerogative. I believe that doing so does not add to dialogue between opposing viewpoints and offers nothing of substance, but, then again, that does seem to be the point. It's far easier to just be outraged at everything and play martyr, after all. Know that in doing so, you accomplish nothing aside from patting yourself on the back and generating a roll of my eyes.

Regarding the nature of this thread, I believe it should be reserved for arguments made in bad faith, made with clear logical fallacies, which wish a direct and malicious harm on others. I believe this has historically been the purpose of this thread. If you wish for this to change, so be it, but the precedent for deeming a post "absurd or ignorant" based on individual disagreement poses a danger to open discourse and civility. If that is your desire, then I feel nothing but pity for the depth of your insecurity.

All I have to say is, you're a terrible, ignorant, and by your own admission anti-modern-medicine person just like the leader of the country whose flag is in your avatar, and you want to bully innocent, oppressed children into using bathrooms that are the opposite of their gender identity. If that isn't wishing harm on people, I don't know what is. Also if we're talking about logical fallacies, your entire second paragraph is a straw man.

Also I love how people have been using this thread to call out bigotry since day one, but as soon as I try to call out transphobia people lash out at me.

If that's all you have to say, you haven't said anything useful.
How about instead of saying someone is ignorant explain what it is you think they don't know?  And try, instead of saying someone is "anti-modern-medicine," make a medical argument - and please no appeals to authority or the uncritical worship of technology.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 04:43:58 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2016, 05:26:09 AM by shua »

If that's all you have to say, you haven't said anything useful.
How about instead of saying someone is ignorant explain what it is you think they don't know?  And try, instead of saying someone is "anti-modern-medicine," make a medical argument - and please no appeals to authority or the uncritical worship of technology.

That's literally not how science works.

"Such-and-such organization of scientists supports this position therefore another position is automatically unscientific" is a common argument, but not a good one, at least not in itself.

I recognize that I've pissed away my ability to speak with any semblance of moral authority on this through my antics over the past two years, but I hope for purposes of this post that I've also made my opinion an object of interest to somebody. All that I really want to say right now is that I would hope that people of goodwill could perhaps agree to think of sex reassignment, for people capable of informed medical consent in general, as a form of harm reduction or palliative care, rather than twisting ourselves in knots and navel-gazing over what 'gender' (a concept so deliberately amorphously defined as to open the possibility that literally nobody thinks it means the same thing) really is, or agonizing over who's homophobic or who's transphobic or who's 'colonizing womanhoood' or who's 'the annihilation of man'. We don't have to all have the same revanchist interpretations of Genesis 1.28 or postmodernist interpretations of the life sciences in order to live civilly together and come to compromises that piss us off and please nobody and make us die a little inside but grin and bear it because that's what decent people living in a society do. If my entire small town as a child could agree not to talk about Mr. Bialczak's whereabouts after his third hospitalization, then we as a people can be decent to one another about the [Inks]ing Bathroom Question, for goodness' sake.

You've been through this and approached it from different perspectives in your own life. You have as much moral authority on this as anyone.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »

These are two different situations. Ohio has the rust belt appeal for trump that we've all debated and talked about quite a bit. In addition, Republicans generally do better there than nationally.

Iowa I believe was less expected to be strong for him. I don't know exactly why he's doing well out there. Over the weekend I traveled through southern Delaware (big agricultural region) and I noticed many farms with Trump signs - none for Hillary. Perhaps Trump has some appeal in the Ag industry?

Seems sort of odd since he threatened to deport a slice of their workforce (sorry), but I guess there's other factors at play here.

IF Trump wins by about 5 (not that I'm predicting that), I could see Delaware being a surprise nailbiter.

How delusional can you get?

That guy is the same neanderthal who claimed that Minnesota will be a Safe R state in the next few years and that Democrats will soon not be able to win anything in the state aside from the urban congressional districts.

using "neanderthal" as an insult definitely belongs in this thread.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 04:38:48 PM »

Nothing wrong with the post.  Most racists support Trump.

The inference was "all", not "most". Take a research methods course or something.
Dude, please keeping being a douche, really makes people like you.

And I did look at context, yeah BRTD was being racist in the thread.

Hilarious since you are one of the only posters who, on a daily basis, acts snarky and douchy.
Honey, if someone didn't have to act like an asshole, I wouldn't be a douche to them.  Sorry if that makes you or others unhappy.

kinky.  tmi though.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 08:06:20 PM »

Nothing wrong with the post.  Most racists support Trump.

The inference was "all", not "most". Take a research methods course or something.
Dude, please keeping being a douche, really makes people like you.

And I did look at context, yeah BRTD was being racist in the thread.

Hilarious since you are one of the only posters who, on a daily basis, acts snarky and douchy.
Honey, if someone didn't have to act like an asshole, I wouldn't be a douche to them.  Sorry if that makes you or others unhappy.

You're really unpleasant. Take a step back and look at how you speak to people plz.
I don't particular care how I seem to you guys.  And you do seem to love throwing bricks in a glass house buddy.  Check yourself.
Then try not lashing out at people over it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »

Dollar stores contain items of value and utility.  This thread does not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies