The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:24:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Seriously? Theatre of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts V  (Read 203903 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: December 25, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »

This seems fitting for the Executive Order President.

# of Executive Orders by President:

Barry Obama: 193
George W. Bush: 291
Bill Clinton: 364
George H.W. Bush: 166
The late, great Ronald Reagan: 381
Jimmy Carter: 320

It's a reference to the nature of the executive orders and the use of them. Hence the reference. We're not merely counting by the numbers, we're counting what POTUS is trying to do and has stated he's doing - going around Congress to enact his agenda (see: SOTU 2014).

The name still fits.

I don't agree with this post but I don't really think it demonstrates a poor enough understanding of the world to belong here either.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2014, 11:27:35 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Given that in context he clearly means 'can' in the sense of 'should':

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »

They were Calvinistic just like the Puritans.  The only difference between the two, religions, which they believed in salvation and strictly going by the bible, not by the minister, is that the Quakers didn't see the inequal treatment of Blacks or Indians as being a way of life.  People like Abe Lincoln

On the other hand Puritans like George Washington blended in with the culture and believed in inequalithy of the races and believed strongly in slavery.

Both sects fled Europe on account of Church of England.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:11:49 AM »

At the risk of sounding like some sort of moderate hero version of Snowstalker, Cory is right that most of what Kissinger did was more or less successful in advancing American geopolitical goals during the Cold War, but that very fact should incline us to become a bit more critical or at least skeptical of American geopolitical goals during the Cold War.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:07:04 PM »

Lincoln 1860/Obama 2012 States: Green
Lincoln 1860/Non-Obama 2012 States: Gold
Non-Lincoln 1860/Obama 2012 States: Red
Non-Lincoln 1860/Non-Obama 2012 States: Blue

Stereotypes:
Green: True Northern, cosmopolitan, pro-minority states, with plenty of liberal whites.
Gold: Populist, blue collar states, with a slight racial bias but some sympathy for minorities.
Red: States overwhelmed with demographic change, whites lean conservative.
Blue: Ultra-conservative, bigoted, regressive, unreconstructed, not changed demographically yet.

Politicians:
Green: Most similar to George McGovern. Looking forward to the future, and to change.
Gold: Most similar to Andrew Johnson. Based in the past, but accept minor changes, and can sometimes seem progressive.
Red: Most similar to Jeb Bush. Moderate right-winger who wants to appeal to minorities.
Blue: Most similar to George Wallace. Conservative and rooted a good 40 years in the past.

Just an utter garbage post

Indeed. In particular, characterizing New Jersey that way is certainly a new idea.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »

'The most normal and straightforward interpretation of Japanese history' most certainly does not analyze the Meiji Restoration-to-Pacific War period and the Occupation-to-Lost Decade period as one continuous era, far less parts of the same 'golden age'.

I don't blame historians for dividing up such a long and interesting period into parts; especially since when these two periods were delineated, the golden age was still going on and seemed 'normal.'
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 01:50:14 AM »

Less than twenty-seven hours apart. Incredible.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »

I've said a few times now that regardless of what one thinks about the way Mormons tend to get involved in politics--in terms of policy, in terms of strategy, whatever--the fact that they do have a strong tradition of dynamic, on-the-ground political involvement, and in most cases seem sincere and idealistic about it, is itself worthy of admiration. The same is true of black churches.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2015, 03:57:04 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

I've said a few times now that regardless of what one thinks about the way Mormons tend to get involved in politics--in terms of policy, in terms of strategy, whatever--the fact that they do have a strong tradition of dynamic, on-the-ground political involvement, and in most cases seem sincere and idealistic about it, is itself worthy of admiration. The same is true of black churches.
There is nothing admirable about religion muscling its way into our civic institutions. It's a very problematic thing, especially coming from "sincere and idealistic" people.

3edgy5me

In all seriousness though this idea that a lot of liberals have that people should somehow check their beliefs at the door when engaging in policy discussions or should avoid making use of the institutions that represent their beliefs for political mobilization is distinctly, uh, odd.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 12:23:13 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

this idea that a lot of liberals have that people should somehow check their beliefs at the door when engaging in policy discussions or should avoid making use of the institutions that represent their beliefs for political mobilization is distinctly, uh, odd.

Normally I'd be offended but since it's you, the poster with a poorer understanding of religion and sociology than some precocious ten-year-olds, the poster who claims that I don't bother to constructively respond to his arguments...I'm laughing.

(No but seriously the idea that you very heavily implied that it's somehow preferable that people in public life who don't share your religious beliefs be craven, cynical, and dishonest rather than sincere and idealistic is the quintessence of 3edgy5me and it's actually kind of adorable.)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 02:43:45 AM »

Hasn't Bushie said within the past several weeks that he likes or at least is more or less okay with the Holy Father? Also, Macedonia 'including' Greece would be news to the Greeks. And the Macedonians.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »

In a BRTD thread that actually poses an interesting question (why most Western converts to Islam are women):

Pretty easy:

They meet and marry Muslim men, who either directly or indirectly pressure them into converting to Islam.

Basically Stockholm syndrome.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 12:08:02 AM »

After the intolerant natives were wiped out or conquered, and one dominant religion was established, and languages were limited to 3 or 4 (more or less), the Americas became the most racially tolerant place on earth.

Conflicting. But anyway....

Democrats, shut the hell up and stop your racist belly-aching about racist America. You wouldn't know racism if Mugabe delivered the keynote speech at your graduation.

That post took four words to go south (unless he's being sarcastic, which I doubt). Incredible.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 05:09:37 AM »

Even ignoring the part about Neville, I suspect the average abortion-minded woman is more similar to Merope Gaunt than Lily.

Bonus points for demonstrating simultaneous knowledge and ignorance about the Harry Potter backstory at a level that I wouldn't have thought it was possible to attain.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 09:09:24 PM »

This thread starts off already bad and degenerates fast.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 04:59:01 AM »

Even with the parenthetical disclaimer this is one of the worst sentences I've read in a very long time.

Having a lower infant mortality rate isn't a sign of better health care, it's a sign of less sh**tty mothers (not that having a baby die on you means you're a sh**tty mother, obviously).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »

I really don't know or care who's correct here, but are you aware of what an unbelievably stupid and naive sentence this is in this context?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:48 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2015, 07:22:21 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

This is a strange post because it isn't really saying anything objectively odious yet it still manages to be profoundly unpleasant.

All ethnic based culture is ridiculous. If people only like your food, clothing, language, etc because they were born into it, then obviously your food, clothing, language, etc suck. Ideally everyone would be free to appropriate whatever individual things they like from any given culture.

ETA:

I believe in the free market when it comes to things which aren't required to stay alive, culture being one of them. If a culture fails in the free market, clearly it sucked.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »

I'm positive wormyguy is trolling.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »

I could give two sh**ts about the Lewinsky scandal, that was between consenting adults.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »

Get rid of the jury system in its current form. Create a new system of full time professional jurors.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »

Crossposted in the Goldmine

Who's going to turn Catholic in the US? The US is far too polarized between SJW liberals and conservative evangelicals.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »

I...think this fits here perfectly

I used to support very harsh punishments for women who have abortions a la beheading and other cruel punishment. But, I don't support those views now and support a large fine while abortion doctors should be tried for murder.

what the
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 10:08:06 AM »

This forum's priorities are hilariously out of whack sometimes. It's gotten to the point where being against gay marriage or posting pictures of hicks off Google Images is more controversial and worthy of a dogpile than wanting to behead women who received a medical procedure. Of course, I'm sure the fact that 99.9% of the forum is male has nothing to do with this.

For one thing, CC did get quite a bit of a dogpile, both here and on AAD. For another thing, let's dispel with this fiction that this has anything to do with sexism. There is no 'gender gap' abortion-wise.

On paper there's not much of a gender gap but pro-life women tend to be less strident and rhetorically violent than pro-life men.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies