Why is Hillary Clinton so popular? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:33:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why is Hillary Clinton so popular? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Hillary Clinton so popular?  (Read 18413 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: December 28, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »

People seem to of forgotten the 2008 Primaries, she lost them for several reasons...
-she saw the Democratic nomination as her right, and expected major figures (Kennedy, Richardson) to endorse her straight away
-Her weakness in Iowa
-Stupid comments about Obama (comparing him to Kennedy in 68 and saying 'we all knew what happened to him'')
-Thinking Experience=Success in politics
-Underestimating the desire for someone who isn't a Bush or a Clinton
-Being a major hawk

If she can get past these issues in 2016 then she'll be fine-I expect that Warren or Cuomo could take hit out of her. People almost see Obama's 2008 campaign as divine intervention when in fact it was Clinton's to lose
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 02:50:43 PM »

How has she grown? What did she achieve as secretary of state? Bundled intervention in Libya leaving the country in chaos? No attempt at Israeli-Palestine peace (something Kerry tried) 

She holds identical views from 2008 apart from jumping on the gay marriage bandwagon
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:21:57 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2014, 03:39:07 AM by Blair2015 »

People seem to of forgotten the 2008 Primaries, she lost them for several reasons...
-she saw the Democratic nomination as her right, and expected major figures (Kennedy, Richardson) to endorse her straight away
-Her weakness in Iowa
-Stupid comments about Obama (comparing him to Kennedy in 68 and saying 'we all knew what happened to him'')
-Being a major hawk

If she can get past these issues in 2016 then she'll be fine-I expect that Warren or Cuomo could take hit out of her. People almost see Obama's 2008 campaign as divine intervention when in fact it was Clinton's to lose

2008 is a lazy, surface level comparison that doesn't actually look at the facts. I highly suggest you read these articles:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/07/01/remember-when-nobody-gave-obama-a-chance-to-beat-clinton-never-happened/

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/hillary-clinton-iowa-2016/

After reading Game Changer, the book that is virtually just covering the democratic primaries it's clear that there were a lot of issues with her 2008 candidacy, the arrogance of her entire campaign and her expectation that she'd get endorsed by the big guns-let alone her comments comparing Obama to Bobby Kennedy which is low remark considering she held RFK's seat.

I'd vote democrat at nearly every presidental election but I'd have doubts about Hiliary. She's a neocon Hawk who thinks she owns the democratic party; we can't have a coronation in 2016. Hilary needs to face an actual challenge. In 2007 apart from Edwards Hiliary didn't face much of a challenge yet she blew it;as this article puts it ''She had everything going for her. The most famous name in politics. A solid lead in the polls. A war chest of at least $133 million.'' Look at the comments made by Penn in the 2008 campaign saying that 'Obama isn't American enough, that he's unelectable''

I just think there's a great amount of arrogance in some democrats who think that she should just be able to walk into the 2016 primaries and pick up the nomination on the basis of experience-as I said before what did she do as SOS apart from pushing for attacks on Syria and Libya that appear to have backfired in both cases
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 06:43:28 AM »

-Her weakness in Iowa
-Being a major hawk

2008 is a lazy, surface level comparison that doesn't actually look at the facts. I highly suggest you read these articles:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/07/01/remember-when-nobody-gave-obama-a-chance-to-beat-clinton-never-happened/

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/hillary-clinton-iowa-2016/

After reading Game Changer, the book that is virtually just covering the democratic primaries it's clear that there were a lot of issues with her 2008 candidacy, the arrogance of her entire campaign and her expectation that she'd get endorsed by the big guns-let alone her comments comparing Obama to Bobby Kennedy which is low remark considering she held RFK's seat.

I'd vote democrat at nearly every presidental election but I'd have doubts about Hiliary. She's a neocon Hawk who thinks she owns the democratic party; we can't have a coronation in 2016. Hilary needs to face an actual challenge. In 2007 apart from Edwards Hiliary didn't face much of a challenge yet she blew it;as this article puts it ''She had everything going for her. The most famous name in politics. A solid lead in the polls. A war chest of at least $133 million.'' Look at the comments made by Penn in the 2008 campaign saying that 'Obama isn't American enough, that he's unelectable''

I just think there's a great amount of arrogance in some democrats who think that she should just be able to walk into the 2016 primaries and pick up the nomination on the basis of experience-as I said before what did she do as SOS apart from pushing for attacks on Syria and Libya that appear to have backfired in both cases

Hillary's 2008 campaign had issues, there's no doubt about it, but I don't really see how that's relevant. My point was that her position in 2006/2007 is in no way comparable to her position now. She trailed in Iowa most of the time in the 2008 cycle, now she leads there by 40-50 points. Her lead nationally was 20 points at the highest (but usually lower), compared to her 50 point leads now. In 2008 she was the frontrunner but not unstoppable. In 2016, she's completely dominant and inevitable. That's why nobody of any serious stature is going to challenge her. That's why the rank and file, the establishment, and the elected officials are all lining up behind her. Nobody's forcing Hillary down anyone's throat. If the voters didn't want Hillary she wouldn't be polling at 60%+ and have 90%+ favorability among Democrats.

Reading over my post it's clear I let my own views come a bit too much, I should give HRC more credit.

I agree that her 2006 position in Iowa was weak but she still had a massive overall lead. Her campaign considered skipping Iowa all together because she was poor there ( a state that only recently elected it's first female senator) Point I was trying to make is that she was seen as the establishment favorite in 2006 and was expected to get the nomination in a weak field (apart from Obama)

We'll just have to see what happens in the Primary, I know that a lot of progressives don't want Hilary but unless they can draft Warren I can't see anyone who could rally around the progressive base.  I get that Hiliary is going to most likely win in 2016 but you know a lot can change in politics. Everyone remembers President Ed Muskie in '72 right?

The one thing in HRC's favour is that they're aren't any big democrats on the scene apart from Biden. A lot of them will be looking for the new cycle to do well
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies