Cops cheer NYPD Officer Richard Haste, charged in death of teen Ramarley Graham
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:28:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cops cheer NYPD Officer Richard Haste, charged in death of teen Ramarley Graham
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cops cheer NYPD Officer Richard Haste, charged in death of teen Ramarley Graham  (Read 4756 times)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2014, 05:56:59 AM »
« edited: December 27, 2014, 09:17:50 PM by True Federalist »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/nypd-officer-richard-haste-surrenders-face-charges-on-duty-killing-ramarley-graham-article-1.1094739#bmb=1

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »

Typical.

The shooting of Antonio Martin in Missouri yesterday, meanwhile, was a perfect illustration of just how self-aware the pigs really are.  They come out with a statement immediately, explaining that this is nothing like the Brown or Garner cases, because the victim had a firearm.  Thanks for the clarification, gents, it was badly required on account of the fact that nobody trusts you.  Of course, the officer had been issued a body camera but was not wearing it.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 07:33:58 AM »

I'm beginning to think cops as a subculture--and I do think they have to be thought of as a subculture for any of this behavior to make sense--simply have a vastly, vastly more in-group-out-group-focused mentality and, to be honest, moral code than we're used to seeing in the contemporary West. Anything done by an outsider to an insider is ten times worse than the other way around, regardless of the issue and even if the one is potential and the other actual. [/sage]
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »

And the sad thing is that this will just keep happening.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 09:13:19 AM »

Why are you posting an article from two and a half years ago?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »

Flo must not be thinking again. Too much eggnog Flo?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »

I'm beginning to think cops as a subculture--and I do think they have to be thought of as a subculture for any of this behavior to make sense--simply have a vastly, vastly more in-group-out-group-focused mentality and, to be honest, moral code than we're used to seeing in the contemporary West. Anything done by an outsider to an insider is ten times worse than the other way around, regardless of the issue and even if the one is potential and the other actual. [/sage]

Yes, and the exact same mentality can be seen in France and Italy. Something about the police in itself is rotten at its core.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »

Law enforcement is a subculture in the same way that rock musicians are one.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 12:08:12 PM »

Typical.

The shooting of Antonio Martin in Missouri yesterday, meanwhile, was a perfect illustration of just how self-aware the pigs really are.  They come out with a statement immediately, explaining that this is nothing like the Brown or Garner cases, because the victim had a firearm.  Thanks for the clarification, gents, it was badly required on account of the fact that nobody trusts you.  Of course, the officer had been issued a body camera but was not wearing it.

Cops are generally respected and trusted.

You may not trust them, but that is a different story. The belief that no one trusts cops suggests a blindness to political reality.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/180260/americans-rate-nurses-highest-honesty-ethical-standards.aspx
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »

51% of Americans rate the honesty / ethical standards of police officers as "average", "low" or "very low." Hardly a stunning endorsement of the trustworthiness and respect accorded to them, although they do rank higher than clergy, bankers, and lawyers.

Had I been asked this question I would have said "high" simply based on my personal experience with the police. But it is clear that my very limited experience with them is not representative.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »

Typical.

Your point is? People starting waving their hands about things- they quickly explained that there is a reason, after all, this happens in the first place.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 03:13:54 PM »

If you want some current "All Cops are Scum" news, here's some good stuff:

LAPD officers caught on camera singing "Dead Michael Brown" song

"And he's bad, bad Michael Brown

Baddest thug in the whole [expletive] town

Badder than old King Kong"

Never trust the police.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »

Michael Brown, the store robber, shopkeeper assailant, and police pugilist? Truly an exemplary member of his community and not at all a thug... Roll Eyes
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »

Michael Brown, the store robber, shopkeeper assailant, and police pugilist? Truly an exemplary member of his community and not at all a thug... Roll Eyes

Blow more dogwhistles, I can't hear you.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »

Yes, and the exact same mentality can be seen in France and Italy. Something about the police in itself is rotten at its core.

I mean, this isn't to demonize cops--if anything I think this makes them more understandable, especially to those of us who come from extended families that operate more or less the same way--but it's obviously an incredibly inappropriate moral code for public officials in what are meant to be democratic societies to have.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 05:16:47 PM »

There are no connotations whatsoever to referring to him as "badder than King Kong". Roll Eyes
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »

There are no connotations whatsoever to referring to him as "badder than King Kong". Roll Eyes

The song was a parody of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwDohEEQ1E

Which includes those very lyrics.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »

No...it's a reference to a popular song.

"He was badder than old King Kong, and meaner than a junkyard dog."
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »

Ugh. America is the problem here, not just the police.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »

The song was a parody of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwDohEEQ1E

Which includes those very lyrics.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »

I feel like "pugilist" is one of Simfan's new favorite buzzwords.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »

No...it's a reference to a popular song.

"He was badder than old King Kong, and meaner than a junkyard dog."

Oh yeah that makes it okay then.

oh wait no
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »

@$$holes.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 01:47:15 AM »
« Edited: December 27, 2014, 02:04:52 AM by Ebowed »

Typical.

The shooting of Antonio Martin in Missouri yesterday, meanwhile, was a perfect illustration of just how self-aware the pigs really are.  They come out with a statement immediately, explaining that this is nothing like the Brown or Garner cases, because the victim had a firearm.  Thanks for the clarification, gents, it was badly required on account of the fact that nobody trusts you.  Of course, the officer had been issued a body camera but was not wearing it.

Your point is? People starting waving their hands about things- they quickly explained that there is a reason, after all, this happens in the first place.

I didn't intend to make a particularly salient point, was just a bit of a late night muse.  Anyway I just thought it was interesting that they had to differentiate themselves from the Brown and Garner cases specifically (and really the entirety of the statement revolved around this premise), even though they would have defended the police in those instances too.  You know what I mean?

Cops are generally respected and trusted.

You may not trust them, but that is a different story. The belief that no one trusts cops suggests a blindness to political reality.

I have every reason to trust police.  A few years ago I was mugged and intimidated in Sydney by an Aboriginal neighbour.  Reporting him to the police still remains my biggest regret in my life, really, seeing both the way that they talked to me about the situation (the cops were openly racist in one of the country's most progressive areas) and how they treated him (broke his door down, pulled hair off of his head for a completely unnecessary DNA sample and then sent him off for another six months in prison thanks to his 'priors').  We made peace when he got out, but suffice it to say that what ended up happening to him was in no way proportionate to what had actually happened that night.

(To clarify, as soon as it became clear that they were to pursue charges that were not proportionate, I explained that this was a misunderstanding of the entire situation.  When they spoke to the perpetrator, because he had used the phrase "all I did was rob him for a beer", they went forward with the robbery charge, even though that is not really what happened.  Powerless to do much else, I explained that I didn't want to press charges, but by that point they had already pinned him for resisting arrest or some other nonsense)

But that's just the tip of the iceberg.  If I'm drinking in a public park with friends, the police will drive right past us, and all of the other groups, until they find the group of Aboriginals, usually the only people in the park *not* drinking, and they stop and talk to them for a minute or two and then drive off.  It's a joke.  And compared to the average American police, these guys are saints.  The whole issue makes my blood boil.  I'm only glad that the media is finally giving these stories the attention they deserve.

Anyway, maybe whites trust police, but I'm not blind to political reality at all.  The political reality is that police engage in systematic racism and brutality and until now we have lacked the national resolve to address it.  And when I said that 'nobody trusts' the police, I'm referring to their victims, not the lily white suburb dwellers who are perfectly content to turn a blind eye to this.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

Why are you posting an article from two and a half years ago?
I would like to see Emperor Flo address this.

I'm also curious if everyone responding to the story was aware of that.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies