Cops cheer NYPD Officer Richard Haste, charged in death of teen Ramarley Graham (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:30:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cops cheer NYPD Officer Richard Haste, charged in death of teen Ramarley Graham (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cops cheer NYPD Officer Richard Haste, charged in death of teen Ramarley Graham  (Read 4802 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: December 26, 2014, 07:33:58 AM »

I'm beginning to think cops as a subculture--and I do think they have to be thought of as a subculture for any of this behavior to make sense--simply have a vastly, vastly more in-group-out-group-focused mentality and, to be honest, moral code than we're used to seeing in the contemporary West. Anything done by an outsider to an insider is ten times worse than the other way around, regardless of the issue and even if the one is potential and the other actual. [/sage]
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »

I'm beginning to think cops as a subculture--and I do think they have to be thought of as a subculture for any of this behavior to make sense--simply have a vastly, vastly more in-group-out-group-focused mentality and, to be honest, moral code than we're used to seeing in the contemporary West. Anything done by an outsider to an insider is ten times worse than the other way around, regardless of the issue and even if the one is potential and the other actual. [/sage]

Yes, and the exact same mentality can be seen in France and Italy. Something about the police in itself is rotten at its core.

I mean, this isn't to demonize cops--if anything I think this makes them more understandable, especially to those of us who come from extended families that operate more or less the same way--but it's obviously an incredibly inappropriate moral code for public officials in what are meant to be democratic societies to have.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies