The future of the GOP's demographics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:12:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The future of the GOP's demographics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these racial/ethnic demographic groups does the GOP have the best chance of gaining ground with within the foreseeable future?
African Americans
Hispanics
Asians
The GOP will not gain ground with any of these
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The future of the GOP's demographics  (Read 10664 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »

and what does the GOP need to do/change in order for that to happen?

Asians. Stop being anti-intellectual/anti-science and moderate on social issues (just enough to appear rational).

That isn't enough for the GOP to win over Asian voters, of course, but it would allow them to be competitive. For instance, I doubt that Vietnamese or Hmong or Fillipino voters care all that much about the virtues of the sane center-right. After all, they're largely working class.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:07:01 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2015, 02:21:35 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I've said before and I'll say again that many people in the category now known as "Hispanics" will be considered "white ethnics" by 2040 or so, as "white" as Greeks or Lebanese or Turks are considered in the US are now. This obviously isn't a universal thing, heavily Native people like Guatemalans and the obviously black Latinos are a different matter, but the day will come when a person whose ancestors have lived in the USA since 1970 who has a name like "Hector Lopez" won't be considered "non-white" in any serious way.

EDIT: Also, the above reflects my view on the prediction of a "minority-majority" USA. The definition of whiteness will expand to include many now considered non-white and the white majority will be "preserved."

look at this white man

I've said it before and I'll say it again: many Latino ethnic groups will never assimilate in a manner that integrates them with white identities. Latinos have no desire to be considered white. To a large extent, Latino identity in the US is centered around combating white supremacy. Outside of a common language and a common faith, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans can bond over stories of discrimination. Because the Latino identity was constructed for largely political and economic reasons by Latino elites, I doubt that it's a very durable identity but it has also served as an inoculation against whiteness.  

In order for your scenario to play out, immigration from Latin America would have to slow to a trickle. In that situation, I could see high interracial marriage rates dramatically altering the Latino identity + lack of cultural raw materials, which define ethnic communities, flowing into the country but I think there's a stronger case to be made for the notion of many Asians assimilating into whiteness as being mixed-race Asian becomes more common.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies