Opinion of dogs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:30:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of dogs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Pets

Horrible Pets

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Opinion of dogs  (Read 4054 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »

I like them better than people.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »

Same here (and I actually like people too, not all of them of course).

Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 04:26:08 AM »

I do wish you could take cats for walks though. That's the one area where dogs are clearly superior.

Yes that might one of the advantages, they are a good alibi to go for a walk, when I was at my bro who has a border colley who but no garden I made several hours of walk amongst woods and fields 'for the dog' that I would have certainly never done if not the dog.

They can also be an easy way to open a conversation, especially when they are young:

'awwwwwwwwww so cuuuuuuuute'
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »

FP.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »

I do wish you could take cats for walks though. That's the one area where dogs are clearly superior.

Yes that might one of the advantages, they are a good alibi to go for a walk, when I was at my bro who has a border colley who but no garden I made several hours of walk amongst woods and fields 'for the dog' that I would have certainly never done if not the dog.

They can also be an easy way to open a conversation, especially when they are young:

'awwwwwwwwww so cuuuuuuuute'

Actually studies have shown that dog owners are in better shape than the average person.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »

Freedom Pets

I've had four so far. Cats have never done much for me.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »

Freedom critters, ya. The only awful ones I know were either abused and have leftover emotional baggage from it or were poorly socialized and thus never learned to feel calm and secure around new humans and other animals. This applies to all the pit bulls I have spent time with, too. Still not sure to what extent breeds behave differently though (if at all); e.g. I have yet to meet a German shepherd, doberman, or Shetland sheepdog whose first reaction to me isn't aggressive.

Cats are okay too, really, but tend to be more anti-social and manipulative than genuinely affectionate.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »

People who are convinced cats are better than dogs are some of the strangest people ever. It's just hard to fathom how anyone can be so wrong.
Panda Express

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 08:22:18 AM »

People who are convinced cats are better than dogs are some of the strangest people ever. It's just hard to fathom how anyone can be so wrong.

Yeah, dogs have personality and can do things like fetch a ball or a frisbee or can be used to help disabled people or the police. Cats are useless and don't do anything and have no personality.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »

I would most want a pet duck. They are so cute!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2015, 11:08:44 AM by Marokai Besieged »

A lot of the reason people have problems with dogs is because if you don't really take the time to train and baby them for months, they're basically just over-sized rats that tear s**t up and make a ton of noise, whereas cats are fairly quiet, generally train themselves, and have less destructive power. The most a cat will usually do is play with cords or unravel rolls of toilet paper. An untrained dog can more or less destroy anything out of boredom.

Add on top of that dogs require more bathing, and more attention so they don't piss all over the house, it's easy to see why a lot of people prefer having cats. They're quiet, clean, easy to train, don't do much damage, and don't mind wandering off and doing their own thing. Cats are like having another self-sufficient member of the household whereas dogs are perpetual toddlers.

I grant that dogs have way more potential utility, and they're great for that, but for the average person cats are easier to get along with and aren't as demanding. I know the go-to snark in response is usually "why would you want a pet that you don't take care of and aren't around!!11" but sometimes people just like peace and quiet and time to themselves, and as it turns out, so do cats.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »

omg... Too cute! Smiley
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »

One thing I would like to suggest is that when you decide to get a pet, try to get it from an animal shelter, not from breeders.  There are so many homeless animals that deserve our affection that will be euthanized if they don't find a home.  And there's no reason to encourage or support the pet trade/pet breeding industry.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 05:43:55 PM »

they're okay but they're no cats, that's for sure.

it depends on the cat
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »

Far beyond epic FFs; dogs are the only critters that will love you more than themselves.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 10:46:05 PM »

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »

Freedom Pets, duh.

I like and usually get along with both cats and dogs. I don't like to take sides as to whether I'm a "dog person" or a "cat person", but if I were able to get a pet- and only one pet- it would be a dog.

I still miss the yellow lab I grew up with as a child. He was a shy dog and I was a shy little boy so we would be afraid of each other at first until I grew a bit older and then he was like a best friend to me. He had to be put to sleep when he was 14, sad dogs have such short lifespans, that's part of what makes me reluctant to ever get a pet of my own, I don't handle loss well at all. :/
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 11:43:12 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RikfOeBWFao

Because adequate link is adequate link.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length