Germany: How the SPD wants to fight against an alleged voter fatigue ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:58:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Germany: How the SPD wants to fight against an alleged voter fatigue ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Good proposals?
Freedom ideas.

Only the broadened election corridor.

Only the mobile polling booths.

Horrible ideas.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Germany: How the SPD wants to fight against an alleged voter fatigue ...  (Read 1298 times)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »

In order to make more people go to the polls, SPD General Secretary Yasmin Fahimi wants to try out a new election procedure. In the daily newspaper Die Welt she spoke out in favor of introducing whole election weeks in preference to a single election day, as they do in Sweden.

In addition, Fahimi suggested that the voters may not only cast their vote at their place of residence, but everywhere. The SPD is currently evaluating whether a "mobile" polling booth is legally possible. It should also be possible that the people no longer only have to vote at normal polling locations, but for instance also at train stations or libraries.

As the motive for her ideas Fahimi quoted: "I do not want to content myself with a turnout of 50 percent." At the beginning of next year, she is going to discuss her proposals with the general secretaries of other parties.

CSU General Secretary Andreas Scheuer rejected Fahimis ideas. "The voters are not as idle and lazy as Fahimis theory says, but smart and very aware of their behavior," he told the daily newspaper Der Tagesspiegel. And Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann added in Die Welt: He has his doubts as to whether an election corridor of one or even several weeks would attract more people to the ballot boxes than usual. Even today, they could easily and unbureaucratically vote by letter.

Also from the point of view of the Greens, the proposals of the SPD general secretary are not the answer to everything." A boring movie will not get better if you air it longer", said the domestic policy spokesman Volker Beck. "Policy must become more distinguishable again. And as to that we all have to look who's talking."

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »

I agree with this:

Also from the point of view of the Greens, the proposals of the SPD general secretary are not the answer to everything." A boring movie will not get better if you air it longer", said the domestic policy spokesman Volker Beck. "Policy must become more distinguishable again. And as to that we all have to look who's talking."

Not only in Germany (but also here) many reliable old voters are dying, while being replaced with unreliable younger voters. That means turnout is going down further and further.

No additional measures can halt this process really.

The Austrian states of Styria and Carinthia introduced an early-voting day in the mid-2000s, because turnout fell in state elections.

Instead of boosting turnout, it still went down. While not nearly as low as in the US, it still decreased from about 80-85% to ca. 75%.

The only scenario in which turnout increases these days is if there's an exciting and close election campaign going on that draws people to the polls, mixed with a good political climate (no political scandals).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:20:45 PM »

The only thing Germany (and other countries who are struggling with falling turnout) can do is to encourage people from Sweden and other Scandinavian countries to immigrate to Germany and reproduce fast.

Scandinavian people have high turnout in their genes ... Wink
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:06:23 PM »

The only thing Germany (and other countries who are struggling with falling turnout) can do is to encourage people from Sweden and other Scandinavian countries to immigrate to Germany and reproduce fast.

Scandinavian people have high turnout in their genes ... Wink

Or they ought to reconsider what they gonna say.
("We are always being measured against our campaign promises. That's unfair.")

Or they oughtn't modify mathematical laws of nature.
(0 + 2 = 3)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:23:03 AM »

The basic problem, as mentioned, isn't that people don't have an opportunity to cast their ballots. Polling places are numerous and postal ballots are an alternative as well of course. Political debate is stifled in this country though and the parties are broadly speaking in agreement on virtually all of the main issues (Europe, nuclear power, immigration).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 06:55:58 AM »

Any idea that could increase turnout is a freedom idea. That said, I agree that this doesn't address the main problem.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 08:36:51 AM »

I oppose this as unnecessary, costly and problematic to implement. There's no issue whatsoever with being able to vote in Germany. If we want to increase turnout, the voters must be given a reason to vote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »

I oppose this as unnecessary, costly and problematic to implement. There's no issue whatsoever with being able to vote in Germany. If we want to increase turnout, the voters must be given a reason to vote.

How about the Brazilian solution (vote or face a legal consequences)?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »

I also oppose mandatory voting. I understand the logic behind it, but I disagree that having lots of people casting votes that don't want to be there is a good thing. And fundamentally, freedom to vote should also be freedom from voting.

I don't find 70% turnout all that problematic, but if we're really interested in raising it again, there need to be policy incentives for those that are uninterested in voting. Just passing a law doesn't solve the fundamental issue.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »

Mandatory voting is not up for discussion here though. This is about how to increase turnout in a non-mandatory system.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »

I also oppose mandatory voting. I understand the logic behind it, but I disagree that having lots of people casting votes that don't want to be there is a good thing. And fundamentally, freedom to vote should also be freedom from voting.

I don't find 70% turnout all that problematic, but if we're really interested in raising it again, there need to be policy incentives for those that are uninterested in voting. Just passing a law doesn't solve the fundamental issue.

Whether or not it is a problem depends on to what extent certain segments of society are overrepresented among non-voters. Once you get to the point where some groups (usually the weaker ones) are de facto alienated from the democratic process it starts getting problematic.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 12:23:28 PM »

I like the idea of Parliament size being dependent on turnout. That way politicians have more incentive to actually bring people to polls.

That said, other things will have to be done to boost turnout. E-voting seems pretty likely in the near future.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies