Would you support the extradition of Henry Kissenger to the ICC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:44:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you support the extradition of Henry Kissenger to the ICC?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ^
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Would you support the extradition of Henry Kissenger to the ICC?  (Read 6584 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »

It's the most "dark" of the political arts because we allowed it to be so.

It's not that simple and you know it.

My argument is already more complex that your "it is so because it has to be so" fallacy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »

It's the most "dark" of the political arts because we allowed it to be so.

It's not that simple and you know it.

My argument is already more complex that your "it is so because it has to be so" fallacy.
It doesn't have to be "dark", at least in 2015, but I can understand Kissinger's importance in the context of the times.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2015, 07:33:44 PM by Cory »

No it isn't.

What's your prescription for Cold War geo-politics from the American perspective? Just play nice and hope things will work out?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 06:59:22 PM »

I think Kissinger is horrible horrible person, at the same time no I don't think he should be send to Hague, and it seem that Hague agree with me, as they have not asked for him to be extradited.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 05:24:23 PM »

I'd really like to hear Cory explain why expanding air bombing into Cambodia and Laos over the objections of Congress without informing Congress was necessary to win the Cold War. Or the subsequent support of the Khmer Rouge regime because it was pro-Beijing and not pro-Moscow. It can't be because of a vested need to fight Communism in SE Asia because Kissinger also oversaw peace with Hanoi and the withdrawal from Vietnam.

Oh, perhaps Cory's referring to the coup and murder of the president of Chile that Kissinger supported. That essential Cold War victory.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »

I'd really like to hear Cory explain why expanding air bombing into Cambodia and Laos over the objections of Congress without informing Congress was necessary to win the Cold War.

The bombing of the Ho Chi Minh trial was needed to interdict enemy supplies flowing from the North. Cambodia and Laos were "neutral" in name only. As for Congress, they often times lack the vision or understanding of these issues to be informed of everything. They would just make political hay out of it.

Or the subsequent support of the Khmer Rouge regime because it was pro-Beijing and not pro-Moscow.

The more we can do to turn China and the Soviets against each other, the better. Have them duke it out and use them as wedges against each other. This strategy worked quite well, actually.

It can't be because of a vested need to fight Communism in SE Asia because Kissinger also oversaw peace with Hanoi and the withdrawal from Vietnam.

The goal was not regime change in the North.

Oh, perhaps Cory's referring to the coup and murder of the president of Chile that Kissinger supported. That essential Cold War victory.

I never said I support literally everything they did. But from a raw geo-political perspective, yes the installment of a pro-American dictator and in Chile was a win.

You objections seem to be based more on moral grounds then actual policy failures.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »

Should Obama be tried for his support of the 2013 Egyptian coup?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »

I must have missed the bit where Mubarak was murdered in cold blood.

EDIT: Oh, 2013. Replace Mubarak with Morsi.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 05:28:24 PM »

You objections seem to be based more on moral grounds then actual policy failures.
That's what war crimes are, yes
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »

I don't see how the installation of communist regimes in Laos and Cambodia and the annexation of South Vietnam, all overseen by Kissinger, can be seen as a win for the USA even in a realpolitik lens. And, of course, the question was specifically extradition to the ICC, which means things like engaging in an illegal and unapproved war with Cambodia and Laos without Congressional consent and the coup in Chile are explicitly crimes by treaties the United States are signatories to (of course, as a non-member of the Court, this is totally academic as we don't accept the Court's authority).

The thing is, the question is "Is Henry Kissinger a war criminal" and your answers are "What Henry Kissinger did is in the US' best interest." Isn't that totally irrelevant to the question of whether Kissinger is a war criminal? If he is and if he isn't, it doesn't matter if his approaches had positive outcomes for this country.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 02:26:35 PM »

I must have missed the bit where Mubarak was murdered in cold blood.

EDIT: Oh, 2013. Replace Mubarak with Morsi.
Allende was murdered in cold blood by himself, not Pinochet. Had he not resisted the coup, he'd been packed onto a plane to Cuba.

As for the Egypt coup, there is no way the CIA didn't at least know about it (and let it happen) in advance. What is the difference between the two coups on the whole?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies