Talk about your negative experiences with the police/law enforcement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:13:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Talk about your negative experiences with the police/law enforcement
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Talk about your negative experiences with the police/law enforcement  (Read 3738 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 11:05:31 PM »

Thankfully no real encounters. I might faint if it ever did happen. There was a cop pulling a u-turn in a tight area on campus late at night and I kind of just froze and backed up against a wall. He just made a sarcastic comment to me and drove away, but I was terrified for a couple long minutes.

I feel for those who have posted actually frightening situations. Unfortunately, those just make even basic interactions become more terrifying
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 08:01:48 AM »

I was arrested and beaten when I was a high school senior for getting in trouble at school. When I was 22, I was arrested for "trespassing" at a PUBLIC university library. Around the same time, I was economically profiled by police who stopped me when I was walking down the street and said it was because of "break-ins." During the 2000 campaign, police ran me off from a Bush rally when I got after a Bush campaign thug who assaulted a young woman. As part of Occupy Cincinnati, I was ticketed for using sidewalk chalk (even though the Tea Party was never ticketed for this offense).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 08:08:18 AM »

Also, at the same university, some liar accused me of something I didn't do and called the cops. Police showed up, and they sort of hemmed and hawed and then dropped the matter. But they didn't go after the person for making a false report.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »

Got shoved around, and to the ground, unnecessarily by the Sheriffs in jail for my DUI. They didn't like my asserting my rights to a blood test, and didn't like me hobbling around in my medical shoe due to recent toe surgery. Nor did they like that I pointed out that they had told me I would be out in about 8 hours, and now it was going on 15 hours, and then they threatened to hold me in the tank for the legal maximum of 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds. They only calmed down a bit when they found out I was a lawyer. After that experience, I came to the opinion that there should be video cameras in jails - not to monitor the prisoners, but rather to watch the cops and record their actions. Indeed, the jail sheriffs were so gratuitously brutish, that I brooded about just what they would do to the Hispanics in Santa Ana when nobody was watching, when unleashed and they got out on streets (they start off with jail duty).  Clearly whatever psychological fitness tests they give to these guys, are totally inadequate to cull out the amoral and sometimes sadistic bullies that slip through the net. I tried to get an appointment with the County Sheriff to discuss it all, but to no avail, and I got deflected by other issues in my life, and moved on.

That is just outrageous. Assholes like them are giving the law enforcement bad name.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 08:34:31 AM »

Nothing major. A black lady cop once yelled at me for not wearing a helmet, despite there being any law against an adult not wearing a bike helmet.
The cop from Pineapple Express?!?

blacker.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »

Thankfully I'm white, live in a pretty calm town, and don't have hobbies that expose me to contact with cops.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 09:43:46 AM »

When I was 12 or so, a police officer shouted at me for touching the tire rims, which were moving despite the car being stationary, of a squad car. This is the only example I can think of.

I was arrested and beaten when I was a high school senior for getting in trouble at school. When I was 22, I was arrested for "trespassing" at a PUBLIC university library.

What is wrong with you? Are you criminally anti-social? There is nothing ridiculous about "trespassing at a public university", just as you're not allowed to waltz into the White House or a CDC laboratory, there are reasons that random people or the homeless can't just go into a university library.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »

What is wrong with you? Are you criminally anti-social? There is nothing ridiculous about "trespassing at a public university", just as you're not allowed to waltz into the White House or a CDC laboratory, there are reasons that random people or the homeless can't just go into a university library.

That library was always being used by people who weren't students there. And I was a student there just a few months earlier.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2014, 12:43:57 PM by traininthedistance »

That's really terrible.  I think NYC drivers are severely under-policed and think they can get away with anything.  Did she get their insurance information and identification?

The driver was a real pill– insisted on getting my GF's name, and then when she asked, the driver snipped "you'll get it in the report!"  And said a lot of other really nasty and uncalled-for things that I'm not going to burden this thread with.

She did, eventually, get that info (even if doing so took rather more hoops and frustration than it should've– hoops that might have stymied someone with fewer resources and knowledge) and it does seem like the driver's insurance will pay for the tests and therapy and stuff at least.  So all's well that ends well?  Not really, of course– but as I keep stressing we do have to count ourselves lucky.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »

A couple of weeks ago, me and my boy Mike were waiting for our friend Laura get ready so we could chill at her house.  She had to get ready and help her grandmother to bed, so she told us to wait outside and she would let us in after she was done.  It was late, around 2am, but it was cold so we sat in my car and played some music.  A few minutes later, 3 cops pull up behind us and ask why we were suspiciously sitting in the car.  I explained the situation and they said it was fine, but then preceded to insult my friend and call him a stupid stoner kid (he's 27, probably older than the guy harassing him) for apparently no reason other than his appearance (he looks like your classic stoner, but like that's a reason to insult somebody), and then threatened to "take him in" when he told the cop it was uncalled for.

Classic case of pigs thinking they are not only there enforce laws, but to make social and therapeutic commentary for people.   I had a cop do the same thing to me when caught with a dime of weed when I was 18.  He just told me take it out and grind it into the ground.  I told him thanks for cutting me a break, complied, and tried to be on my way... until he took me on the shoulder and gave me a mouthful of "What are you doing with your life, son?" because I had a bit of weed with me.  I don't care if he did me a favor by letting me off with a warning, it's not his place to be commenting on my life or my motivations. 

Shut up, pig.  Go do your damn job.  I don't want the advice of a C student with a lust for power and authority in a lily white suburb.  You have nothing positive to provide me.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 02:23:21 PM »

Oh, man I have several. US Customs are absolutely the worst:

- I lost my passport in Toronto (but I had a copy of it on me) and the customs agents at the Sarnia border crossing were complete dicks. So they ask me to pull over and exit the car while they search it (ok, whatever), but then accuse me and my friends or being drug runners (right, because if I were smuggling drugs across the border I'd do it without a passport to draw as much attention to myself as possible). I had a copy of my passport, an IL drivers license with the same address that my car is registered to, a university ID, and the word of four other white Americans with passports that I am indeed, a US citizen and not some terrorist. After deflecting their weird power-tripping accusations for 90 minutes or so, they finally let me go.

- Another time I was traveling from Iceland to Boston and I get pulled aside by US Customs agents and accused of being a heroin smuggler. They go through my stuff, find nothing, and then finally let me go after 45 minutes of pointless interrogation.

- I was crossing the Arc du Triomphe at around 3 am and cops stop me and tell me to walk around the entire roundabout.

- Cops at music venues and festivals are terrifying. They're not around for security at all - the normal bouncers and staff can more than handle a few overly drunk people. They're around  to catch people with drugs and create a completely unnecessary atmosphere and anxiety and fear. So, I'm traveling to Michigan and I pull over somewhere in Iowa for gas and check my phone. Reddit and Facebook are going absolutely apesh**t over the Michigan State Police pulling everyone over on I-196, sometimes multiple times, and searching their vehicles. I stop by in Chicago, drop off anything that could potentially cause me trouble, and then meetup with some friends at a random Walmart in Indiana, where we wait until 4 am when the Michigan State Police have finally gone to bed. Still saw a couple of RVs getting pulled over and searched on the way to the festival, but overall, things went smoothly. Upon 30 minutes of entering the festival grounds and setting up my tent, I'm flooded with more drugs than anyone could possibly do in a lifetime. So, I mean, what's the point of ruining a few hippies' lives over a woefully ineffective policy? The sane approach would be to do what the Netherlands does: warn people on the risks of using drugs, allow the sale of drug testing kits so you know that what you're taking is relatively safe, and tell people to contact emergency services without legal reprisal if certain symptoms arise in people who have taken drugs. The US is just so completely backwards.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »

I don't really have negative experiences with police, other than a few speeding tickets (but I didn't get them from a police officer, but because a radar box got me when I was too fast. And in Austria you don't get the speeding ticket from the police, but sent to you from the county administration office).

Other than that, police officers here are pretty relaxed and cool. We even have 2 of them in my extended family (a cousin of mine in Vienna and the brother of my brother's girlfriend).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

I haven't had any negative experiences with police.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »

When I was 12 or so, a police officer shouted at me for touching the tire rims, which were moving despite the car being stationary, of a squad car. This is the only example I can think of.
You saw a squad car with spinners? That's hilarious!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »

When it comes to the US, I didn't have problems either:

I visited the US in mid-2011 and went through JFK's airport security zone. I went through the body-scanner and after that some customs officer asked me what I want to do in the US and how long I wanted to stay. Then he took a picture and my fingerprints. Then he stamped my passport and I went through. Took like a minute or so.

I never bumped into another LEO anymore during my stay.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 02:44:35 PM »

When it comes to the US, I didn't have problems either:

I visited the US in mid-2011 and went through JFK's airport security zone. I went through the body-scanner and after that some customs officer asked me what I want to do in the US and how long I wanted to stay. Then he took a picture and my fingerprints. Then he stamped my passport and I went through. Took like a minute or so.

"Sir, why are you carrying rohypnol into the US?"
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 03:01:12 PM »

This has already been a great thread for a bunch of privileged children to whine about their "traumatic" experiences with authority! I look forward to more entries! Maybe even a map or two!

I think it's a fairly common theme amongst the entries here that things would be worse if not for the privilege you reference here.  But if I came into a thread whose spirit I disagreed with, maybe I wouldn't bother reading any of the replies either
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »

This has already been a great thread for a bunch of privileged children to whine about their "traumatic" experiences with authority! I look forward to more entries!
Police can be dicks from time to time, but I have a friend who likes to jump into the bushes when they pass by....and he wonders why he gets stopped all the time.

Is he a Black?
No, a suburban white kid who lives in a gated community west of town.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »

This has already been a great thread for a bunch of privileged children to whine about their "traumatic" experiences with authority! I look forward to more entries! Maybe even a map or two!

Best to let the steam off here, Phil.  Suburban white kids have shown to be most dangerous. 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »

I don't think I've ever had an experience with police.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »

Got shoved around, and to the ground, unnecessarily by the Sheriffs in jail for my DUI. They didn't like my asserting my rights to a blood test, and didn't like me hobbling around in my medical shoe due to recent toe surgery. Nor did they like that I pointed out that they had told me I would be out in about 8 hours, and now it was going on 15 hours, and then they threatened to hold me in the tank for the legal maximum of 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds. They only calmed down a bit when they found out I was a lawyer. After that experience, I came to the opinion that there should be video cameras in jails - not to monitor the prisoners, but rather to watch the cops and record their actions. Indeed, the jail sheriffs were so gratuitously brutish, that I brooded about just what they would do to the Hispanics in Santa Ana when nobody was watching, when unleashed and they got out on streets (they start off with jail duty).  Clearly whatever psychological fitness tests they give to these guys, are totally inadequate to cull out the amoral and sometimes sadistic bullies that slip through the net. I tried to get an appointment with the County Sheriff to discuss it all, but to no avail, and I got deflected by other issues in my life, and moved on.

That is just outrageous. Assholes like them are giving the law enforcement bad name.

Not for nothing Torie, these same cops have probably responded to  calls where a drunk driver killed someone and you are fortunate that you didnt hurt yourself or others. Pulling the, do you know who I am card typically goes over like a wet fart.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »

I've hardly had any experiences with police, and the couple that I've had were not negative.  When I was four, I opened the gas tank of a police car, and the officer didn't mind. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »

I've hardly had any experiences with police, and the couple that I've had were not negative.  When I was four, I opened the gas tank of a police car, and the officer didn't mind.  

Are you a White?  Of course you are, because if you weren't you'd still have the imprint of the butt of his gun across your cheek.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »

I've hardly had any experiences with police, and the couple that I've had were not negative.  When I was four, I opened the gas tank of a police car, and the officer didn't mind.  

Are you a White?  Of course you are, because if you weren't you'd still have the imprint of the butt of his gun across your cheek.

I'm half white, half South Asian.  I'm definitely a person of color for South Dakota. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »

Thankfully I'm white, live in a pretty calm town, and don't have hobbies that expose me to contact with cops.

I obviously know how you meant this but imagine the cries of "RACIST!!!" if someone read that without knowing the context. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies