Greek election - January 25th 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:41:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greek election - January 25th 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27
Author Topic: Greek election - January 25th 2015  (Read 93406 times)
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: January 25, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »

Turnout is disappointing still. Only 64%.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #526 on: January 25, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »

Let us not overlook the satisfaction that the fascist party actually lost 50,000 votes in a situation of economical crisis and paranoia against the almighty banks-Troika-Merkel et al. I think we can nearly all agree on this one particular satisfaction tonight.

Cheesy

I have no high hopes for Syriza, but I do have a private hope that New Democracy follows PASOK into electoral hell in the next few years.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #527 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »

This is terrible news for Ed Milliband.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »

Crabcake, if that's a map of the election results you're missing a few northern regions which should be switched to Syriza.

http://ekloges.ypes.gr/current/v/public/index.html?lang=en#
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #529 on: January 25, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »

Now begins the inevitable clash between the Teutonic troika and people's democracy. My solidarity is with the latter.

Why should there be a clash? Greece should be congratulated with, finally, achieving a political decision to leave the euro and the details should be peaceably worked out. Drachma will be reintroduced and rapidly devalued. EU, hopefully, would provide emergency humanitarian support for a few years and then Greece will resume its growth and development from where it had been in the early 1990s. 

Well, the clash is that Greece thinks that by the vote today they can achieve a debt write-down without affecting everything else (being in Euro, access to capital markets etc etc) while those who hold that debt does not see it that way.  We will see who blinks first.  I implore the troika to hold firm and not allow this. 

Greeks do not hold many cards at this point. They should concentrate on negotiating an EU aid package to be implemented after reintroduction of the drachma - they could appeal to humanitarian values of their EU partners on that one. If they try to negotiate a debt write-off while staying in the euro, they will spend a long time negotiating, I am afraid. And if they simply stop paying... well, it will be most painfull - for the Greeks.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2015, 09:14:45 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Turnout is disappointing still. Only 64%.

Higher than last time, where it was 62.5%.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2015, 09:55:30 PM »

Now begins the inevitable clash between the Teutonic troika and people's democracy. My solidarity is with the latter.

Why should there be a clash? Greece should be congratulated with, finally, achieving a political decision to leave the euro and the details should be peaceably worked out. Drachma will be reintroduced and rapidly devalued. EU, hopefully, would provide emergency humanitarian support for a few years and then Greece will resume its growth and development from where it had been in the early 1990s. 

Well, the clash is that Greece thinks that by the vote today they can achieve a debt write-down without affecting everything else (being in Euro, access to capital markets etc etc) while those who hold that debt does not see it that way.  We will see who blinks first.  I implore the troika to hold firm and not allow this. 

But it's not in the interests of Germany. If Greece can leave, other countries can leave and they want to keep France and Netherlands and etc as vassal states.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #532 on: January 25, 2015, 10:15:45 PM »

Anyone have any idea why Teleia did so well ?  It seems this one man party came out of nowhere and got 1.8% of the vote. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »

But it's not in the interests of Germany. If Greece can leave, other countries can leave and they want to keep France and Netherlands and etc as vassal states.

Do you seriously think France and Netherlands would WANT to leave?

Greece has to leave, because it, pretty much, has no options. It should not have been allowed in, in the first place - and staying in is extraordinarily painfull. It would, in fact, be better off outside. I have hard time seeing the Dutch and French governments wanting to emulate their example for no good reason, though Smiley)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #534 on: January 25, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »

Greece has to leave, because it, pretty much, has no options. It should not have been allowed in, in the first place - and staying in is extraordinarily painfull. It would, in fact, be better off outside. I have hard time seeing the Dutch and French governments wanting to emulate their example for no good reason, though Smiley)

France isn't going well at all and Euro/Europe/Germany/Merkel is a very popular scapegoat.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2015, 10:25:51 PM »

Wow... Golden Dawn not only survived the crackdown against them, they only lost one seat. I don't know whether to be impressed, scared or surprised.
Let us not overlook the satisfaction that the fascist party actually lost 50,000 votes in a situation of economical crisis and paranoia against the almighty banks-Troika-Merkel et al. I think we can nearly all agree on this one particular satisfaction tonight.

Being the third (or tied for the third) largest party in parliament is still nothing to sneeze at, though. Makes me wonder, if control the government came down to a coalition with Golden Dawn, would anyone do it?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #536 on: January 25, 2015, 11:03:31 PM »

Wow... Golden Dawn not only survived the crackdown against them, they only lost one seat. I don't know whether to be impressed, scared or surprised.

Being the third (or tied for the third) largest party in parliament is still nothing to sneeze at, though. Makes me wonder, if control the government came down to a coalition with Golden Dawn, would anyone do it?

I doubt it, unless the party doing it wants to suffer a PASOK-like fate. And in the current situation, they are not useful at all.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #537 on: January 25, 2015, 11:06:13 PM »

At this point, it's a surprise when the far-right party doesn't do unexpectedly well.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #538 on: January 25, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 12:34:18 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

At this point, it's a surprise when the far-right party doesn't do unexpectedly well.

There is a difference between a far right party and a far-far right party exposed as a criminal organization and competing with multiple other anti-immigration/tough on crime options. So XAs result was unexpectedly good. The ones predicting such a good result were (ironically) people ignorant of Greek politics.

EDIT: Talking about off-forum (media mainly), no offence to anyone here.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #539 on: January 26, 2015, 12:07:31 AM »

Anyone have any idea why Teleia did so well ?  It seems this one man party came out of nowhere and got 1.8% of the vote. 

They're led by a popular actor who also happens to be a successful mayor.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #540 on: January 26, 2015, 12:20:06 AM »

Looking at the election results for the first time (I've been at work all afternoon and evening), the biggest surprise I see is the Union of Centrists randomly breaking 1% for the first time in two decades
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #541 on: January 26, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »

What was Golden Dawn's best area?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #542 on: January 26, 2015, 12:43:44 AM »

Syriza's 2014 40 point governmental program:

http://links.org.au/node/2888

Interesting to see how much (or little) of it they will try to implement.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #543 on: January 26, 2015, 12:46:22 AM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #544 on: January 26, 2015, 12:53:07 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 12:56:24 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Lakonias 10.47% (Sparta)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconia
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #545 on: January 26, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »

France isn't going well at all and Euro/Europe/Germany/Merkel is a very popular scapegoat.

So, a French government would be willing to commit suicide in order to blame Merkel/Germans for it?

Getting out of the euro isn't going to be pretty - not for the Greeks, not for the French. It is just that for the Greeks, staying might be worse.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #546 on: January 26, 2015, 01:49:44 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 02:00:11 AM by Vosem »

Depends what you mean by "best". By popular vote, it was Lakonias, where they got 10.5% of the vote -- the only district where they broke double-digits. But they were only in fourth place in Lakonias (behind the two main parties and PASOK) and failed to win any seats there.

They are now the third-largest party across much of Attica and northern Greece; their strongest performance in a district where they came in third place (also the strongest performance anywhere they won seats) was Kilkis, where they won 8.6%, third place, and a single seat. Kilkis is right on the border with Macedonia and has a very strong far-right-wing place; it was among the best results for LAOS as well.

In terms of seats, their best result was V' Athinon, where they won 3; they won no more than a single seat in any other district. But this is mainly a function of population; they were in fifth place with 5.7% of the vote (below their national average) in V' Athinon. But, in terms of seats, I think every party's best result was V' Athinon, since it's the most-populous district. It's kind of like saying Mitt Romney's best state was California, since he won more actual votes there than anywhere else, even if he was actually quite weak there.

So the answer, depending on how you look at it, is either Lakonias or Kilkis.

EDIT: Oddly enough, Lakonias was also PASOK's best result. It was one of just eleven districts where they came third, and the only place where they broke double digits (11.0%). A very weird place. Another notable fact -- Syriza and To Potami have the best "best" district -- in both cases, Rodopis.

EDIT 2: By popular vote, ND and DIMAR have the same best district -- Chiou. However, DIMAR only placed 12th in Chiou, and there were multiple districts where they had a better performance -- that is, 11th.

There seems to be a clear gap between Teleia and Laos, with Teleia breaking the threshold in multiple districts but Laos in none at all. Teleia and better-ranking minor parties are legitimate contenders, while Laos and everything below Laos (including Dimar and Snow's beloved Antarsya) are just minor parties no one took seriously -- even though some, like Laos and Dimar, have legitimate recent histories as serious parties.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #547 on: January 26, 2015, 04:06:16 AM »

to add to Vosem's excellent post above, here's some more fun and interesting results that I've found on the local level. The locations are in the format of "Municipal Unit, Municipality, Election District"

Kalentziou, Erymanthou, Achaias: Official Papandreou Pals 4 Life Fan Club
53.65% Kinima
23.74% Syriza
  5.02% PASOK
  4.57% ND
  3.65% ANEL

Smynous, Anatolikis Manis, Lakonias: apparently stuck in 2012
29.47% ND
27.72% Syriza
20.43% PASOK
  6.52% KKE
  6.23% XA

Anatolikis Manis, Anatolikis Manis, Lakonias: literally Hitler
46.66% ND
19.20% XA
18.35% Syriza
  5.10% KKE
  3.77% PASOK

Eydilou, Ikarias, Samou: "Yes Comrade, our elections are very competitive"
39.08% Syriza
36.37% KKE
10.11% ND
  3.67% ANEL
  2.16% PASOK

Arrianon, Arrianon, Rodopis: ND almost fell below threshold
65.93% Syriza
26.66% To Potami
  3.48% ND
  6.72% Kinima
  0.51% PASOK
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #548 on: January 26, 2015, 04:15:40 AM »

Kalentzi is the place from where the Papandreou familly comes from.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #549 on: January 26, 2015, 05:09:59 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 05:13:01 AM by Bacon King »

It's official: ANEL is entering a coalition with SYRIZA

Edit- reports are that Tsipras will also be speaking with Potami and KKE as well
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies