Greek election - January 25th 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:07:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greek election - January 25th 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27
Author Topic: Greek election - January 25th 2015  (Read 93984 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:35 AM »
« edited: January 26, 2015, 05:31:57 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

It's official: ANEL is entering a coalition with SYRIZA

Edit- reports are that Tsipras will also be speaking with Potami and KKE as well

"An agreement in principle"

http://www.thetoc.gr/eng/politics/article/independent-greeks-and-syriza-to-form-government

Not 100% sure what to make of this, but I think it will be a trainwreck.

Much clearer here:

“from this moment on there is a government in the country. The Independent Greeks give a vote of confidence. The Prime Minister will go the President of the Republic and announce the government formation”

"Mr. Tsipras is also scheduled to meet with the leader of The River Stavros Theodorakis on Monday afternoon, in order to discuss the possibility of the newly-formed party to support the coalition government efforts. Mr. Tsipras is also rumored to ask to meet with the Communist Party’s general secretary Dimitris Koutsoumpas, who announced that his party would support any pro-people measures that SYRIZA proposes."

http://www.tovima.gr/en/article/?aid=670803
Philip Weisler
Rookie
« Reply #551 on: January 26, 2015, 05:22:02 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 05:25:28 AM by Philip Weisler »

Yep, just read about it on Greekreporter: http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/01/26/greece-greek-coalition-new-government-alexis-tsipras/. Funny how some of our ''unquestionable experts'' were just some days ago categorically arguing that SYRIZA will never ever form a coalition with ''teh bad rightist'' ANEL. Just look at some pages backwards  ;-)

Even if they eventually fail to form a coalition the fact that they started consultations immediately after the election says something.

It's official: ANEL is entering a coalition with SYRIZA

Edit- reports are that Tsipras will also be speaking with Potami and KKE as well
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #552 on: January 26, 2015, 05:31:40 AM »

It's looking likely that ANEL won't directly enter government themselves- but their support allows Tsipras to prove to the President his government will have the confidence of Parliament.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #553 on: January 26, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »

It's looking likely that ANEL won't directly enter government themselves- but their support allows Tsipras to prove to the President his government will have the confidence of Parliament.

I really hope so. Tovima speculates about ANEL taking over shipping matters etc. as if it would be an actual coalition government.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #554 on: January 26, 2015, 05:36:22 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 05:37:56 AM by Bacon King »

Greek stock exchange didn't like waking up to a SYRIZA victory, but they like that the new government found a majority before lunch:

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/quote/ASE:IND

Edit- never mind, looks like the market's in free fall again! Will be interesting to watch this alongside all the breaking news today
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #555 on: January 26, 2015, 05:38:05 AM »

The international media use phrases as "looks to have formed a government"..
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #556 on: January 26, 2015, 05:46:33 AM »

So where exactly are the similarities between Syriza and ANEL other than that they disapprove of the troika? This almost feels like a coalition between the Left Party and AfD here in Germany.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #557 on: January 26, 2015, 05:48:34 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 05:51:00 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Tsipras to meet Greek president Karolos Papoulias at 3.30pm, will submit the names of his cabinet.

Syriza MP Dragasakis to become Deputy PM overlooking the Finance & Economy Ministries and leading negotiations with the Eurozone. Yanis Varaufakis as finance minister.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: January 26, 2015, 05:51:31 AM »

So where exactly are the similarities between Syriza and ANEL other than that they disapprove of the troika? This almost feels like a coalition between the Left Party and AfD here in Germany.

They find common ground on most anti-establishment stuff. They're both anti-austerity, anti-corruption outsiders who use "neoliberal" as a curse word. Besides that, not much.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #559 on: January 26, 2015, 05:56:05 AM »

Tsipras has promised not to enter coalition with others than KKE. If he breaks that promise he risks defections from his left wing (which will be bigger than any potential coalition partner), so it wont be worth it.

If KKE says no, and the only way to obtain a majority is through To Potami or ANEL, he will break the promise.

Bam! Hate to say I told you so... (/Yes I am an insufferable person)
He didn't even wait for KKE to say no. ^^
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #560 on: January 26, 2015, 05:56:21 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 06:03:21 AM by Bacon King »

Tsipras to be sworn in at 4pm local time

Also I think the whole "I only want a coalition with KKE" was mostly just a (fairly succesful) ploy to win a big chunk of KKE voters. I'm wary about the risk of a revolt from the left but if Tsipras has kept them united this far I'm sure he can hold his keep his party together now. No SYRIZA MP is going to want to be the guy who caused austerity to stay
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #561 on: January 26, 2015, 06:01:00 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 06:09:13 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Tsipras has promised not to enter coalition with others than KKE. If he breaks that promise he risks defections from his left wing (which will be bigger than any potential coalition partner), so it wont be worth it.

If KKE says no, and the only way to obtain a majority is through To Potami or ANEL, he will break the promise.

Bam! Hate to say I told you so... (/Yes I am an insufferable person)
He didn't even wait for KKE to say no. ^^

Well, the problem I pointed out still exists. We do not know exactly how many of the new MPs that are Left Platform, but it is about 25% of the party and they will be alienated from the start. This is going to be a trainwreck.

Also, you obviously love to say "I told you so" Wink Don't be a hypocrite.

I always assumed Syriza would be pragmatic when it came to coalition partner if they really needed a lot of seats (although I thought they would try Potami first), but not in a 148-149 scenario. This seems like an unnecessary gamble with possibly 30-40 left wingers among the MPs.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #562 on: January 26, 2015, 06:04:27 AM »

Nowhere. ANEL is a far-right party: anti-immigrant, anti-semitic, pro-church and very much pro-law-and-order.
It will be a travesty of a government that won't last long, for better or worse.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #563 on: January 26, 2015, 06:05:44 AM »

Nowhere. ANEL is a far-right party: anti-immigrant, anti-semitic, pro-church and very much pro-law-and-order.
It will be a travesty of a government that won't last long, for better or worse.

Who did you vote for px?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #564 on: January 26, 2015, 06:07:11 AM »

Who did you vote for px?

Kinima. But of course Papandreou is much too sane and serious for a joke country like Greece.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #565 on: January 26, 2015, 06:11:00 AM »

Who did you vote for px?

Kinima. But of course Papandreou is much too sane and serious for a joke country like Greece.

1) Do you think Syriza would have chosen Kinima if they had gotten in? (I doubt it, but curious)

2) What do you think happens after this government collapses?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #566 on: January 26, 2015, 06:16:10 AM »

One more question px, what is up with EK almost polling 2%? My understanding is that it's the personal vehicle of a Moderate Hero perennial candidate who was a PASOK MP like thirty years ago. Was there a high profile campaign or something?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #567 on: January 26, 2015, 06:21:32 AM »

Who did you vote for px?

1) Do you think Syriza would have chosen Kinima if they had gotten in? (I doubt it, but curious)

2) What do you think happens after this government collapses?

1)No. The Left here in Greece have a visceral hate for Papandreou, just like they had for his father and grandfather. Much more for George whom they consider responsible for the bankruptcy and the subsequent austerity.

2)Only God knows. Unfortunately, I think things will get worse before they get better. Unless of course Tsipras or Merkel surprise us pleasantly.

One more question px, what is up with EK almost polling 2%? My understanding is that it's the personal vehicle of a Moderate Hero perennial candidate who was a PASOK MP like thirty years ago. Was there a high profile campaign or something?

He is not a moderate hero, he is a joke candidate, a man with clear mental issues. People voted for him as a protest for/to our political system.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #568 on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »

Well, the problem I pointed out still exists. We do not know exactly how many of the new MPs that are Left Platform, but it is about 25% of the party and they will be alienated from the start. This is going to be a trainwreck.

Also, you obviously love to say "I told you so" Wink Don't be a hypocrite.

I always assumed Syriza would be pragmatic when it came to coalition partner if they really needed a lot of seats (although I thought they would try Potami first), but not in a 148-149 scenario. This seems like an unnecessary gamble with possibly 30-40 left wingers among the MPs.

I also think Potami would have been a better choice as they are more close on matters not relating to the troika, but who still isn't tainted by the unpopularity of the current government. Syriza and Anel will obviously run into trouble agreeing on policy quite fast.

Still, I would expect Tsipras to have enough political savvy to know if this would cause mass defections from his caucus, so I don't think, initially at least, that that part will turn out to be a problem. Let's not forget that he is one of few leaders who managed to keep all his MPs through the last parliament.

(And yes, I do love it. Wink)    
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #569 on: January 26, 2015, 06:28:39 AM »

I would expect Tsipras to have enough political savvy to know if this would cause mass defections from his caucus, so I don't think, initially at least, that that part will turn out to be a problem. Let's not forget that he is one of few leaders who managed to keep all his MPs through the last parliament.

There is a big difference between being in opposition and in government - and at some point they will need to address non-austerity related matters.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #570 on: January 26, 2015, 06:28:40 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually the only one
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #571 on: January 26, 2015, 06:31:20 AM »

If you see any bookies offering bets on Syriza defections within the first six months let me know.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #572 on: January 26, 2015, 06:35:32 AM »

Tsipras will break the tradition by not being sworn in by the head of Greece’s orthodox church, Archbishop Ieronymos.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #573 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:32 AM »

If you see any bookies offering bets on Syriza defections within the first six months let me know.

It's the surest bet you can take. Let's see first whom he proposes for President.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #574 on: January 26, 2015, 07:04:36 AM »

Tsipras will break the tradition by not being sworn in by the head of Greece’s orthodox church, Archbishop Ieronymos.

Pissing off ANEL before he even gets started? Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies