Greek election - January 25th 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:34:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greek election - January 25th 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
Author Topic: Greek election - January 25th 2015  (Read 93921 times)
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: January 31, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »

ANEL map.

The municipality over 19% is Nisyros in Dodecanese.

Freedom Municipality.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #651 on: January 31, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »

I'm still interested in what's going on in Achaea. Is it more just non-Nazi anti-austerity than anything else?
Sir John Johns
France

« Reply #652 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »

I'm still interested in what's going on in Achaea. Is it more just non-Nazi anti-austerity than anything else?
Achaia used to be a PASOK stronghold. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Papandreou family originated from the Achaian town of Kalentzi. Patras (Greece's third most populated municipality) has been almost exclusively ruled either by the PASOK or by KKE mayors; if I trusted the Greek Wikipedia, it only had a right-wing (ND) mayor between 1999 and 2002.

From at least 1996 to 2009, PASOK had always topped the polls in Achaia. In 2009, it won 52.65% against only 28.99% for ND. PASOK's support collapsed to 14.11% and then 13.49% in the two 2012 elections with many of its voters going to SYRIZA. This year, PASOK's voters seems to have continued to flow toward SYRIZA but at a slower pace; the combined result of PASOK (3.89%) and KIDISO (5.87%, its best national result) is 9.76%.

KIDISO map:

Best national result (20.41%) in Erymanthos, where Kalentzi is located (as noted in a previous post, KIDISO got 53.65% there!). KIDISO had its best results in some of the old PASOK strongholds like Achaia, Crete, and Elis. On the other side, like PASOK, it failed badly in Athens, Piraeus and Thessaloniki.

Union of Centrists map:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #653 on: February 01, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #654 on: February 08, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »

And In Its Full Glory.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.01

« Reply #655 on: February 18, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »

I'd like to hear the resident experts on Greece thoughts about the Prokopis Pavlopoulos nomination for president. A former Karamanlis minister and 20-year MP seems a bit tainted, if only by association, with the politics Syriza is supposed to be leaving behind.

I assume that with Syriza, ANEL and ND behind him, Pavlopoulos is as good as elected, but feel free to correct me.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #656 on: February 19, 2015, 05:31:56 AM »

I'd like to hear the resident experts on Greece thoughts about the Prokopis Pavlopoulos nomination for president. A former Karamanlis minister and 20-year MP seems a bit tainted, if only by association, with the politics Syriza is supposed to be leaving behind.

I assume that with Syriza, ANEL and ND behind him, Pavlopoulos is as good as elected, but feel free to correct me.

Pavlopolous has been elected now with 233 votes Smiley

Several reasons Tsipras picked him:

1. At this point there's still an 180 vote threshold required for electing the President, so an opposition party supporting the government's presidential candidate was necessary to let Parliament start doing real stuff instead of spending a week holding more presidential votes

2. This olive branch to ND plays into Tsipras' desire to frame the narrative that SYRIZA is sort of a "Greek national unity government" in opposition to the troika and etc.

3.  Pavlopolous was apparently a bit of a maverick within the ND, speaking out against the memorandum

4. The Presidency is ceremonial and the office's actual powers are obligatory actions the Constitution requires the President to take no matter what

The real big thing to notice was that Tsipras had to delay the vote for a full week to get his own party in line behind the candidate. Electing a conservative was hard for SYRIZA's left to swallow.

There's also the fact that back when the Golden Dawn MP punched a KKE politician on a talk show, Pavlopolous was literally sitting between them but didn't do anything to stop the punch and just watched it happen
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies