House Majority Whip Spoke at White Supremacists Conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 09:40:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Majority Whip Spoke at White Supremacists Conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: House Majority Whip Spoke at White Supremacists Conference  (Read 16047 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »

Duke threatens to reveal all the pols in both parties who've associated with him if Scalise isn't treated fairly.

The Duke aide who Scalise knew, Kenny Knight, donated to Scalise's '08 campaign/
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »

I hope he does release the list, nobody on it should be in public office.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 12:41:47 AM »

Agreed, I also hope he does release the list.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »

^ There's a rumor that Duke helped Vitter, behind the scenes, in the 1999 special election in LA-01. Something more about that would be juicy, especially going into next year's election.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 12:51:45 AM »

Duke making threats over Scalise hardly helps Scalise any. And I doubt any Democrat that associated with him would worry much about the reveal, as Louisiana Democrats have zero to lose at this point.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 12:56:41 AM »

Is the Majority Whip actually delusional enough to not be aware of what the convention he is speaking at pertains to while he is speaking at it?

If so, he should resign. If not, he should resign.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2014, 01:15:18 AM »

to be fair it's not always easy to tell which are the openly "white nationalist" groups and which are just promotion ol' traditional Southern family values
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 01:18:08 AM »

Duke making threats over Scalise hardly helps Scalise any. And I doubt any Democrat that associated with him would worry much about the reveal, as Louisiana Democrats have zero to lose at this point.

If there are any Democrats on the "pals around with David Duke" list, they don't deserve to be in office anyway and I'd be as much in favor of them resigning as I am Scalise.

Unless you're an undercover journalist, there is no excuse to visit a white supremacist rally. None. Especially in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Two. 2002 is not "it was a different time, things were different," it was the year Trent Lott was thrown out of the Senate for saying that America would have been a better place if Strom Thurmond had become president.

Steve Scalise should resign, though he probably won't resign. The Roll Call interview in which he claimed that voting for him would be getting the policies of David Duke in a more electable passage is damning as hell. If David Duke wants to Elia Kazan it up and reveal every politician he has consorted with, I'm all on board for this witch hunt.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2014, 01:26:01 AM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2014, 01:36:52 AM »

He should at least give up his Minority Whip position.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2014, 01:37:01 AM »

Duke says he doesn't know whether Scalise knew what the conference was about. But even if you didn't know, how else could the name "European-American Unity and Rights Organization" be interpreted other than as a white supremacist group?

It's quite easy to interpret that name as a benign organization promoting greater transatlantic cooperation and international human rights.  (not that I'm not skeptical that he could have been at the conference and not known what they were about.)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2014, 01:41:07 AM »

He should at least give up his Minority Whip position.
Majority Whip.

But yes, he should resign from leadership. Whether he deserves to be in congress should be between him and his constituents. If LA-01 wants a racist representing them, I honestly don't really care as I'm not willing to live anywhere in that state in the first place (politics and weather there are just terrible).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2014, 01:48:41 AM »

It's quite easy to interpret that name as a benign organization promoting greater transatlantic cooperation and international human rights.  (not that I'm not skeptical that he could have been at the conference and not known what they were about.)

Here's what the EURO website looked like the week Scalise spoke.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »

How come this is all being revealed now? I'm surprised it didn't happen in 2008, when he was first elected.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2014, 01:58:27 AM »

How come this is all being revealed now? I'm surprised it didn't happen in 2008, when he was first elected.

1. Someone has it in for Representative Scalise.

2. It may be old stuff -- but so is Bill Cosby's sexual conduct (should such be shown true), which is even older.

3. There is no valid cause for anyone with political aspirations (unless having been at the time an undercover journalist) to have involvement with so overt a fascist (KKK or neo-Nazi, let alone both in the same person) as David Duke.

4. It shows how committed the GOP leadership is to getting the racist vote -- and how incompetent it is in vetting prospects for committee chairs and Officers of the House.

5. It shows the contempt that GOP has for people who do not vote Republican.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2014, 02:04:23 AM »

^ A state blogger reportedly found records of the meeting on Stromfront.

It must really suck for Roskam right now; he'd almost surely be Whip now if his people found this during the Whip race.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2014, 02:27:01 AM »

So the House GOP loses a violent felon and with any luck a gross racist all before the new Congress has even begun!  Not bad, even if both of them are certain to be replaced by other Republicans.

Nobody cares about this in LA-01; it's arguably rather helpful in fact.  But he is now in a position of national leadership.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2014, 02:50:57 AM »

3. There is no valid cause for anyone with political aspirations (unless having been at the time an undercover journalist) to have involvement with so overt a fascist (KKK or neo-Nazi, let alone both in the same person) as David Duke.

Keep in mind though that in the 1999 LA-01 election, even as his electoral career was on a downward trajectory, Duke was within about 2.5% of making the runoff. Any rising/ambitious Republican in Jefferson Parish would have at least  taken notice of Duke's following in the district.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2014, 07:26:44 AM »

Duke says he doesn't know whether Scalise knew what the conference was about. But even if you didn't know, how else could the name "European-American Unity and Rights Organization" be interpreted other than as a white supremacist group?

It's quite easy to interpret that name as a benign organization promoting greater transatlantic cooperation and international human rights.  (not that I'm not skeptical that he could have been at the conference and not known what they were about.)

Not to mention he wasn't just at the conference, he spoke at it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2014, 07:40:46 AM »

Guilt by association sucks. It's also very selective.  Knowing the spineless nature of Republicans,Scalise will get the Lott treatment.

Meanwhile, Democrats will schedule speeches at La Raza, kiss Sharpton's ring, and elect Presidents who attended Jeremiah Wright's church -- without media attention.

I know you're a parody troll, but it's hilarious that some Republicans actually think La Raza is a Hispanic supremacist group and Al Sharpton is a black supremacist. Also, I assume you didn't pay attention to politics in 2008, since the media was obsessed with Jeremiah Wright.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2014, 07:58:55 AM »

Junk Congressman!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »

I hope he does, and the people are all prosecuted for sedition!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2014, 12:11:28 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Guilt by association sucks. It's also very selective.  Knowing the spineless nature of Republicans,Scalise will get the Lott treatment.

Meanwhile, Democrats will schedule speeches at La Raza, kiss Sharpton's ring, and elect Presidents who attended Jeremiah Wright's church -- without media attention.

I know you're a parody troll, but it's hilarious that some Republicans actually think La Raza is a Hispanic supremacist group and Al Sharpton is a black supremacist. Also, I assume you didn't pay attention to politics in 2008, since the media was obsessed with Jeremiah Wright.
Doesn't LaRaza want the Southwest to leave the union and form the Republic of Aztlan or something like that? I'm not defending CountryClassSF because he is a troll and the Wright/Sharpton comparisons are absurd, but LaRaza itself (not so much in it's present form) is a rather shady group with their fair share of historic controversial connections.

Not to mention he wasn't just at the conference, he spoke at it.
A quick check of their website (which Miles was kind enough to dig up) shows a ton of anti-semitic conspiracy theories as well. That should have gave it away immediately.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »

Doesn't LaRaza want the Southwest to leave the union and form the Republic of Aztlan or something like that?

That's a conservative talk radio conspiracy theory. Much of poor minority advocacy group = NAZIS is conservative talk radio conspiracy theory.

"My enemies must be just as racist as me" is a common line of thinking among racists.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2014, 12:19:17 PM »

Doesn't LaRaza want the Southwest to leave the union and form the Republic of Aztlan or something like that?

That's a conservative talk radio conspiracy theory. Much of poor minority advocacy group = NAZIS is conservative talk radio conspiracy theory.

"My enemies must be just as racist as me" is a common line of thinking among racists.
I remember in my own d-bag days here that I tried to make an effort post linking LaRaza to groups like The Brown Berets. No real connections existed besides a few individuals with membership in both.

Scalise should resign. And so should Raul Grijalva, who was a member of an active group seeking secession back in the day. I'm not defending Scalise, but let’s not pretend this is a Republican only problem as some on this forum are declaring.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies