House Majority Whip Spoke at White Supremacists Conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:52:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Majority Whip Spoke at White Supremacists Conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: House Majority Whip Spoke at White Supremacists Conference  (Read 15694 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »

Party label or position is irrelevant here - he should absolutely resign.  I'm not going to make the same partisan hack excuses for him that Democrats did for Robert KKK Byrd.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2015, 04:53:43 AM »

Mia Love (Uncle Tom-UT): Leave Scalise Alone!

I think we can all agree she's a race traitor now.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2015, 05:36:52 AM »

"There's one quality that he has that I think is very important in leadership and that's humility."

Hmm, I might have gone for "not being a racist douchebag" - a quality he seems to be sorely lacking.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2015, 08:21:59 PM by Governor Varavour »

Mia Love (Uncle Tom-UT): Leave Scalise Alone!

I think we can all agree she's a race traitor now.

Calling people "race traitors" is generally beyond the pale in any context. Particularly when the accuser is a different race than the accused. Even more so when the accused happens to not conform to certain political views.

The idea a white person can call a black person an "Uncle Tom", or can decide who is "loyal" to "black people"- which is in and of itself absolutely disgusting- reeks of denying blacks political agency and ordering them to "get back in line"; that they are required to behave a certain way and believe certain things, enforced by outsiders. One would think the time for such things is long past.

Whether or not white people are oppressed has nothing to do it. People's views deserve to be judged on their merits, not their degree of conformity to the prevailing thought of their group. Sawx, for all your talk about oppression and what black people ought to want you seem to underrate freedom of thought.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2015, 08:40:12 PM »

That's the reason Black Republicans exist, to defend white Republicans who get into racial trouble. This isn't like Scalise made some comment that could be misconstrued, he spoke to an organization that would probably prefer that Congress be all white, so Love should have considered that prospect. Hardcore racists don't care if a black person has an R by their name, they don't make those sort of exceptions.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »

That's the reason Black Republicans exist, to defend white Republicans who get into racial trouble. This isn't like Scalise made some comment that could be misconstrued, he spoke to an organization that would probably prefer that Congress be all white, so Love should have considered that prospect. Hardcore racists don't care if a black person has an R by their name, they don't make those sort of exceptions.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »

Or is it because black people are entitled to have their own opinions? Scalise appears to be a bigot. Love is profoundly mistaken to defend his apparent bigotry, which is offensive. But more offensive is the idea certain groups of people are not allowed to hold certain political views because of their un-normativity.

Let's judge people by the quality of what's coming out of their mouth, and not by what color their mouth is. Because that's sort of, you know, racist?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:22 PM »

Or is it because black people are entitled to have their own opinions? Scalise appears to be a bigot. Love is profoundly mistaken to defend his apparent bigotry, which is offensive. But more offensive is the idea certain groups of people are not allowed to hold certain political views because of their un-normativity.

Let's judge people by the quality of what's coming out of their mouth, and not by what color their mouth is. Because that's sort of, you know, racist?

Agreed, 100%.  I'll never defend Scalise (I called for him to step down a few posts up), but Invisible's post reeks of arrogant racism.  It's frankly bewildering that liberals have such a simplistic view of race yet seem to truly believe that they're *immune* from being racists, themselves.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2015, 10:44:42 PM »

The paternalism some of the red avatars in this thread are displaying is pretty disgusting. Mia Love is entitled to her opinion just as the many, many people (myself included) who think that Scalise should go are entitled to ours, and you can criticize Mia Love for taking a bad position, but the only person in this debate who should be throwing around terms like "race traitor" is David Duke.

Also, perhaps, just perhaps, we should listen to the one black guy that posts on this site when race comes up and realize that a bunch of white nerds telling black people how they should think and act is kind of f**ked up.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2015, 11:18:32 PM »

Let's be clear and not twist words, my point is that she is a newly elected representative that has not been sworn in yet and other than her, no newly elected representatives have stepped up to put up any sort of defense for Scalise. Do you really think that this is not a strategic maneuver on the part of the party to mitigate this problem? Mia Love defending Scalise does not make his affiliations any less racist, it just looks at if Republicans are playing a PR game here.

I did not say anything about her political views, my comment was in the content of her defense of Scalise, which seems to be more about making a political point than actually defending him.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2015, 11:36:08 PM »

Let's be clear and not twist words, my point is that she is a newly elected representative that has not been sworn in yet and other than her, no newly elected representatives have stepped up to put up any sort of defense for Scalise. Do you really think that this is not a strategic maneuver on the part of the party to mitigate this problem? Mia Love defending Scalise does not make his affiliations any less racist, it just looks at if Republicans are playing a PR game here.

I did not say anything about her political views, my comment was in the content of her defense of Scalise, which seems to be more about making a political point than actually defending him.

I believe a Black Democrat from Louisiana has already come to Scalise's defense, FYI.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2015, 11:55:08 PM »

I believe a Black Democrat from Louisiana has already come to Scalise's defense, FYI.

That's politics as well, with Landreiu gone, Richmond has to find a way to get funding for his district and defending Scalise could be beneficial to that.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2015, 01:13:26 AM »

Thank you, Mikado.

"That's the reason Black Republicans exist, to defend white Republicans who get into racial trouble. "
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2015, 01:43:10 AM by Invisible Obama »

Thank you, Mikado.

"That's the reason Black Republicans exist, to defend white Republicans who get into racial trouble. "

That's realness and truth, this is politics and people want to pretend like games are not played. It's same concept as McCain picking Sarah Palin as his running mate thinking that it would gain him votes from women who supported Hillary in the Democratic Primary. When any party has issues with a certain group, they will play identity politics.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

People's views deserve to be judged on their merits, not their degree of conformity to the prevailing thought of their group.

It genuinely sort of frightens me how this approach to discussing the social issues of the day is more or less actively derided in favor of groupthink or sentiments that can only fit in 140 characters.
njwes
United States

« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »

The paternalism some of the red avatars in this thread are displaying is pretty disgusting. Mia Love is entitled to her opinion just as the many, many people (myself included) who think that Scalise should go are entitled to ours, and you can criticize Mia Love for taking a bad position, but the only person in this debate who should be throwing around terms like "race traitor" is David Duke.

Also, perhaps, just perhaps, we should listen to the one black guy that posts on this site when race comes up and realize that a bunch of white nerds telling black people how they should think and act is kind of f**ked up.

Remember, you're dealing with generally elite liberal white people on the internet, the chances they've had many genuine interactions with average black people, let alone a black conservative, is likely pretty low.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2015, 10:37:57 PM »

Remember, you're dealing with generally elite liberal white people on the internet, the chances they've had many genuine interactions with average black people, let alone a black conservative, is likely pretty low.

In all fairness, the chances of anyone interacting with a black conservative is pretty low.
njwes
United States

« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2015, 10:59:46 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2015, 11:04:33 PM by njwes »

In all fairness, the chances of anyone interacting with a black conservative is pretty low.

Really? I don't think it's as hard as the conventional wisdom makes it seem, especially if you're talking about the more religious community, or those from the south and midwest, or those in the middle class. Conservative blacks may generally vote a straight-D ticket, but still, there's definitely sympathy for conservative positions among much of the black population.

Also we mustn't forget Waka Flocka Flame.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »

bqhatevwr
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2015, 09:00:59 AM »

The sorts of places where black people are hard to come by aren't exactly known for having lots of liberal white people. It's the conservatives who either fled to far flung burbs or live in even more remote rural areas. Liberal white people (Jews, gays, and such) prefer to live not in actual black neighborhoods, but within a reasonable proximity.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »

The sorts of places where black people are hard to come by aren't exactly known for having lots of liberal white people. It's the conservatives who either fled to far flung burbs or live in even more remote rural areas. Liberal white people (Jews, gays, and such) prefer to live not in actual black neighborhoods, but within a reasonable proximity.

I live in a place that has one of the largest concentrations of liberal white people in the US (SF Bay Area)-the majority of whom I'd guess are neither Jews nor gays-and I can tell you that many of my fellow white liberals still express racist sentiments. The difference is, they tend to be more subtle and snobbish/classist about it. Although a lot of it is surely ignorance rather than malice.

Of course, in your neck of the woods, most affluent suburban whites consider themselves "conservatives", even if they otherwise have a fair amount in common with white suburban Bay Area liberals, demographically speaking.

Foucaulf
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2015, 06:39:18 PM »

That's realness and truth, this is politics and people want to pretend like games are not played. Blah blah blah.

Thought experiment: would you say that sentence in front of Simfan's face?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2015, 09:57:45 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2015, 10:11:18 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I detest Mia Love because she gives credence to the notion that racism isn't a serious problem in America. As a Latino, I take issue with fellow racial minorities who have benefited from negative discrimination but speak out against it for the sake of their own personal promotion
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »

I detest Mia Love because she gives credence to the notion that racism isn't a serious problem in America. As a Latino, I take issue with fellow racial minorities who have benefited from negative discrimination but speak out against it for the sake of their own personal promotion

Darn black people being successful on their own merits, always threatening to spoil affirmative action for whites.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2015, 11:40:30 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Darn black people being successful on their own merits, always threatening to spoil affirmative action for whites.

I'm Mexican-American and I've been successful on my own merits. I don't need affirmative action but I  think it's a worthwhile policy. Am I the most deserving? No but I have many friends who come from impoverished backgrounds + are Black or Mexican/Mexican-American and have "stats" that are lower than average at their school. They're excellent students but they had less opportunities than many white students with wealthy parents, who went to private college prep schools, and this is partially due to the lasting legacy of racism in the US. I can't say that I approve of politicians who'd

Anyways, your post is a vile strawman: I am speaking for myself as a non-white person and I've always been proud of my own academic achievements. Nevertheless, I acknowledge the necessity of affirmative action. It's an important policy. Did Mia Love benefit from affirmative action? I'm not entirely sure but it's quite likely that she did and it's unfair that she'd reap the rewards of affirmative action and then advocate for its erasure. I hold the same opinion of the nouve riche from working class backgrounds who have attained their status partially due to the success of social programs but then advocate that they be discontinued for their personal gain.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies