The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:39:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 226987 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: March 11, 2017, 12:08:11 AM »

2000 years ago, a man was crucified in a far province of the Roman Empire, and he was resurrected after 3 days. Maybe, the scientists of that time already knew this method, and their knowledge was forgotten.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1051 on: March 11, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »

The urban-rural divide is a two edged sword.

You can accept that the Democrats are not the most sympathetic towards rural WWC voters while also realizing that the rural WWC voters have not been the shining beacon of tolerance towards urban voters who are just trying to make a living.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #1052 on: March 13, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »

Where can I pick up my "free" firearms?

I support universal health care, but this is a silly comparison. And I'm not especially fond of the "rights" argument in the first place: There's a more compelling case in treating taking care of one another as a moral obligation that we meet in part through government action, or in discussing health care as a form of infrastructure necessary for meeting basic social and economic functions much like public roads or public spaces. But even if you really believe in health care as a right, the line presented in this cartoon is spurious.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1053 on: March 14, 2017, 07:04:30 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That sounds awfully eww-tilitarian to me.

I suppose it will very from person to person, but utilitarian arguments are what ultimately convinced me that universal healthcare was a good and necessary idea.

For me it is just common sense. If you are going to treat people at the emergency room and give people Medicare, why would you deny coverage of things that reduces significantly the cost burdens on both?

My souring opinions on movement conservatism has also encompassed most of the Republican positions on healthcare as well, which at this point amount to miss applied philosophical bullsh**t and cliche euphemisms that clearly only exist as a product of being horribly out of touch with the reality of most of the people. I love saving accounts, savings accounts are great, but the amount you can contribute directly correlates with your income and you are in the territory of basically saying "you want healthcare, get a job" as if it is some kind of luxury, unless you have some kind of sliding scale subsidy.

That said while I agree with covering the poor and helping the middle class substantially, I don't favor tax payers funding healthcare for people like Donald Trump, who are more than capable of paying for it themselves. That is why I don't support single payer.
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #1054 on: March 14, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »

Do you really have to use this thread for arguing with random things random people posted on random boards?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1055 on: March 14, 2017, 11:50:06 PM »

This is so deeply true, and yes, both sides do it.

People who want every single aspect of their life, including their living arrangements, taste in aesthetics, music, TV and film preferences and food drink and drink preferences to reflect their political slant in some way.

In other words, literally nobody except yourself. Gotcha.
I started shopping at Walmart and bought a pickup since I became a Republican.

"Grandpa, how did civil society heave its last breath?"
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1056 on: March 15, 2017, 12:07:52 AM »

On the movie of V for Vendetta:

How cliche do you have to be to thing of this as some stalwart battle cry for the freedom of man? The book--with the political machinations by various government members for power over a crumbling, delegitimized bureaucracy--was far more interesting. The film is simply "1984" with a happy ending. This crap is so Bush era.

EDIT: In light of the Catholic connection, I have to say I am now more proud than ever to be born on Guy Fawkes Day.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #1057 on: March 15, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »

Nice. Hopefully he'll primary Hatch. The resistance to Trump movement should be funneled into Republican primaries rather than general elections.
We already tried that.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1058 on: March 16, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »

"Muslims" here is too broad a brush but:

It's interesting how both Muslims and Secular Nationalists can find common ground in controlling what women wear.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1059 on: March 17, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »

We can recognize that people had comprehensible reasons for doing bad things in the past and also recognize that those things were bad.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1060 on: March 19, 2017, 05:50:21 PM »

Seriously, I completely agree with TexasGurl. There is a number of posters who will just start from the assumption that the mods are always wrong no matter what they do, and will protest anything almost as if just for the sake of it. I'm genuinely surprised to find Averroes among them, because I consider him to be one of the most thoughtful posters here, but I still have to say it: I find this attitude unbelievably petulant and childish.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1061 on: March 20, 2017, 01:11:51 PM »

President Trump‏Verified account @POTUS 
 The NSA and FBI tell Congress that Russia did not influence electoral process.

This one is clearly a lie. Comey said there was no effect to actual vote counting, not that there wasn't any influence to the election.

Edit: Confirmed as a lie:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

NBC LOL. Tweet said "Electoral process" not "election"

...your point?
Voting and vote tallying are part of the electoral process. Leaks, no matter the source, are not.

Oh, I get it! You're one of those "everybody uses phrases to mean exactly what I use them to mean, and if they don't then they're obviously Lügenpresse" people!

Get [Inks]ed, buddy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1062 on: March 20, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »

Oh, and I've had a clarifying realization: Either you accept that the sexual revolution happened and make abortion available to women at least within the first trimester, or you embark on a futile and destructive program to roll it back.

It's the people who want have it both ways who most confuse and upset me. I don't understand how someone can believe that casual sex is fine, but abortion is not. At least not if you support full equality for women.

We also have plenty of men who want a world in which the sexual revolution has happened for men but not for women. These people are, needless to say, deplorable. (Madonna–whore complex, anyone?)
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1063 on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »

The fact that Gamerghazi had any influence on actual politics, regardless of whether it was as significant as Beet claims or not, is absolutely abominable, considering how little influence video game industry journalism has on, well, anything other than itself. It doesn't even seem to have much influence on whether or not people buy video games!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1064 on: March 23, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »

The destroyer of an old, corrupt, archaic America predicated on false ideals and the founder of a new America, unburdened with outdated notions of liberty and equality and justice, that boldly bestrode the 21st century like the Colossus.

Mikado continues to be our smartest poster.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1065 on: March 25, 2017, 12:48:25 PM »

It's not about what's good for them, or good for the country, it's about what makes libruls and RINOS furious.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1066 on: March 27, 2017, 12:22:55 AM »

god if only we were governed the way corporate america works! Corporate America - where over 70% of executives would risk the entire company just to meet financial projections for the quarter!

Great ideas! The Best Ideas! Tremendous Ideas!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1067 on: March 27, 2017, 11:47:56 AM »

It is pretty funny how the various narratives being spun about the mysterious Midwest whites is very similar to competing colonial depictions of natives. Are they a vast tribe of aggressive unreasonable non-woke types who should be feared and despised? Are they a dying, noble breed more in touch than the effete observer? Do they merely need to be tamed and introduced to microbreweries and coding lessons so they can be brought into the brave world if the future?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1068 on: March 30, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »

The one that doesn't try to gloss over its anti-poor, anti-masses agenda with liberal stances on the same kinds of social issues that IRL, have somehow become critically important litmus tests for 21st century Democrats.

In the 20th century, both parties used to be pro-choice and support the Equal Rights Amendment.

Then it seems Progress is winning.

No, it is losing.

Progress is whatever the winners say it is.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1069 on: March 30, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »

It is pretty funny how the various narratives being spun about the mysterious Midwest whites is very similar to competing colonial depictions of natives. Are they a vast tribe of aggressive unreasonable non-woke types who should be feared and despised? Are they a dying, noble breed more in touch than the effete observer? Do they merely need to be tamed and introduced to microbreweries and coding lessons so they can be brought into the brave world if the future?

The funniest thing about this, though, is that up until the 2016 election, most people viewed the Midwest as what it was: a pretty well-educated region stereotyped as being polite and humble.  Now it's the epitome of Trump's campaign?  LOL.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1070 on: March 30, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »

The funniest thing about this, though, is that up until the 2016 election, most people viewed the Midwest as what it was: a pretty well-educated region stereotyped as being polite and humble.  Now it's the epitome of Trump's campaign?  LOL.
That stereotype only ever really applied to Minnesota. The Rust Belt states actually do largely deserve their reputations, and most Americans don't even think about the Midwest west of the Mississippi other than Minnesota - they're like the flyover country of flyover country. Funny story - when I attended Tom Stuker's 10 million mile party a few years back at the Red Carpet Club at O'Hare, they had a sign that said "You put Des Moines on the map", because his LAX-ORD flight was literally flying over Des Moines when he hit 10 million miles. That punchline is just as relevant today as it was then.

The only thing that's really changed is the emergence of some rather absurd assertions like that Iowa is part of the Rust Belt or that Trump Democrats are a monolithic group of middle-aged white people upset about deindustrialization, when in fact, Trump won because he was a unifier in ways that coastal liberals or movement conservatives would never understand.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1071 on: March 30, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »

FTR, this would fall under "Simple Truths."
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1072 on: March 31, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »

If you give government the ability to designate hate groups, prepare for pro-Palestinian protestors to be locked up as anti-Semites.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1073 on: April 01, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »

This shows how much of a blind hate mongerer jfern is. He has no motivation beyond his extreme pathological hatred of Obama and Hillary Clinton.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1074 on: April 04, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »

There has to be some happy medium between dismissing any mildly inconvenient fact as "project fear" and all but actively rooting for a Hiberno-Hispano-Scottish-Argentine coalition to dismember the country while forcing the rump to keep red passports.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies