The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 12:32:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 230786 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: January 08, 2016, 12:33:13 AM »

I should know better than responding, and hopefully this new avalanche of mass stupidity will accelerate my phasing out from this rotting carcass of a forum aside from the international elections (and possibly demographics) board, but I guess I'll just put this out there.

Look, you know I've been one of your biggest supporters, but that wasn't the real problematic part. It was very foolish to call out the rest of the forum over a falsely perceived trait using words like "specimens" to describe them and make yourself appear above the fray and completely superior in a competitive sense. The two biggest issues on the matter of recent history are no longer posters here (not that they'd be harassing her online). A lot of people feel the need to call out the forum over issues like sexism, racism, or even nerdiness (creepiness too?) when the fact is that these labels are patently untrue for most. And of course the excuse of demographics is used to back up those labels Roll Eyes
Atlas forum regulars are fine people. Can we stop calling out the whole forum in a manner that only makes the name caller look ridiculous?

That clearly wasn't the point David and the people who have been echoing him were making (as far as childish and salacious snark could even be considered "making a point").

As for the point you are making, you are fairly new here, but slightly more seasoned posters will probably remember that I used to think pretty highly of this place, and tended to come out in defense of the community when it was criticized (and it was, in harsher terms than the ones I'm using right now). At this point, yes, what I've seen leads me to have a dismal opinion of most people here, and be sure that this is not a position I like to hold. I am genuinely upset and dismayed at the direction it has taken in the past two years or so.

You're more than welcome to disagree, but I hope you can see where I come from (and how the stupidity that's been going on in this and the other threads plays into that, even though it's a fairly minor thing in comparison to others).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #501 on: January 08, 2016, 01:30:14 AM »

I should know better than responding, and hopefully this new avalanche of mass stupidity will accelerate my phasing out from this rotting carcass of a forum aside from the international elections (and possibly demographics) board, but I guess I'll just put this out there.

Look, you know I've been one of your biggest supporters, but that wasn't the real problematic part. It was very foolish to call out the rest of the forum over a falsely perceived trait using words like "specimens" to describe them and make yourself appear above the fray and completely superior in a competitive sense. The two biggest issues on the matter of recent history are no longer posters here (not that they'd be harassing her online). A lot of people feel the need to call out the forum over issues like sexism, racism, or even nerdiness (creepiness too?) when the fact is that these labels are patently untrue for most. And of course the excuse of demographics is used to back up those labels Roll Eyes
Atlas forum regulars are fine people. Can we stop calling out the whole forum in a manner that only makes the name caller look ridiculous?

This is a worthy post by itself for a simple truth...or a Good Post.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #502 on: January 08, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #503 on: January 08, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »

I enjoy the perks of being an attractive, young, single blonde woman.

I am 0/19 on getting a ticket when pulled over.
I haven't paid a bar tab since the Bush administration.
I have never had to call a cab or pay for a ride.
I have never had to lift heavy furniture or move out on my own.

There are probably more benefits that I don't even realize are benefits because I have never gone without them, why would I want to give it all up to watch television with some goober every night?

You are a woman? Welcome to the forum! I hope you can ignore the extreme creepiness and crass sexism of some of our specimens, and focus on the few good things about it (maps, mostly).

Your'e an asshole.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #504 on: January 09, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »

It's the endless Atlas cycle:

1. Poster does crazy/evil thing
2. Poster gets banned
3. People wring their hands over how Poster is now really a changed, great guy
4. Poster, supposedly reformed, gets second chance
5. Poster repeats their crazy/evil thing
6. Poster gets banned
7. People wring their hands over how Poster is now really a changed, great guy
Etc...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #505 on: January 10, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Along with over half of people thinking its very serious or somewhat serious. I think at this point whether or not the majority of us believe it is man-made, the majority do believe its pretty serious and that the government should do what it can to stop it. Since we know why the earth is warming and how to mitigate this issue (at least somewhat), then we should try to do that instead of arguing about origins.

After all, does it matter why, say, a car is hurtling towards you at 100mph? If you don't get out of the way, it's going to kill you.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #506 on: January 11, 2016, 03:51:26 AM »

Bringing up the First Amendment should be a sort of Godwin's Law meaning that you've lost. As someone pointed out somewhere once, it's basically admitting that your best argument and defense for you're saying is "Well at least it's not illegal to say."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #507 on: January 13, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »

"American colonists were undocumented immigrants!" Not that I'm opposed to immigration as a concept, but do people making that comparison know what we did to the American Indians? Very poor example of why people coming to another country wouldn't be a threat.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #508 on: January 13, 2016, 09:07:27 PM »

Minorities won't vote for the GOP due to identity politics stoked by Democrats.  That's really the main thing
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #509 on: January 13, 2016, 11:23:39 PM »

Minorities won't vote for the GOP due to identity politics stoked by Democrats.  That's really the main thing

I think you're looking for this: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=204679.975
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #510 on: January 14, 2016, 05:13:37 AM »

Yeah man, you have to get Castro's approval before posting in here.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:35 PM »

You have a Bernie sticker. Not surprised how you do not understand this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #512 on: January 14, 2016, 11:31:29 PM »

You missed.  That belongs in the Theatre of Absurdity if it must be reposted.  We're nowhere near the part of the Laffer curve where tax cuts increase government revenue.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #513 on: January 15, 2016, 12:44:41 AM »

You missed.  That belongs in the Theatre of Absurdity if it must be reposted.  We're nowhere near the part of the Laffer curve where tax cuts increase government revenue.

In terms of corporate tax rates and the way they are structured, yes, we are, since we are competing internationally for revenue. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #514 on: January 15, 2016, 08:15:45 AM »

In terms of corporate tax rates and the way they are structured, yes, we are, since we are competing internationally for revenue. 
Is that what Christie was referring to? I didn't watch the debate myself as I had some shopping to get done. If so, technically true but corporate income tax is such a small part of the budget, especially when one is referring to just tax from multinational corporations that can take advantage of forum shopping, that enhancing Federal revenue isn't the main reason to be considering reforming corporate income tax. There's also the fact that the reform that would be effective there is not a simple rate cut, but rather a complete overhaul that would change what gets taxed so that even with static scoring, the same revenue would be raised from a lower rate on a larger tax base.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #515 on: January 15, 2016, 09:29:02 AM »

How did all of this happen, without folks flipping out at the time? Who was supervising this manager? Was there any oversight? Having a situation where there is no effective oversight, and brake mechanisms, is a formula for things going very wrong.

Synder.

He is plainly a criminal and should be charged for 10 murders by neglect.

Snyder's probably not personally making decisions about water treatment plants. But whoever was should be indicted with some variety of gross negligence at least.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #516 on: January 17, 2016, 08:26:37 PM »

He committed a double-homicide and used his race to get off, while manipulating people to feel sympathy for him.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #517 on: January 17, 2016, 09:21:47 PM »

Yes. He committed a double-homicide and used his race to get off, while manipulating people to feel sympathy for him. Evil HP.
He used his money and celebrity to get off.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »

I support the free market.  Whatever you want and can afford is what you get.  You pay for only your own health care, or give to charity if you are so inclined.  Health care should never be considered a right.
"Ugh, lazy bums who want healthcare from the government. Why can't they just ask their parents for coverage like I do?"
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #519 on: January 20, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »

Relegating the Academy Awards to irrelevancy would be far better for all involved.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #520 on: January 20, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »

There is a special place in Hell reserved for John McCain, for what he inflicted upon this country.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #521 on: January 23, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »

Grandmas, especially sassy black grandmas, are the heart and soul of the Democratic Party.

And all God's children said "Amen!"
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #522 on: January 24, 2016, 01:25:33 PM »

I am a social conservative but I could never in a thousand years get behind that because, I am a capitalist and economic libertarian more than a devout Social Credit/Huckabee Social Conservative

In other words, you won't let your religion get in the way of your social darwinism?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #523 on: January 24, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »

If Congress weren't the worst ever in the last 8 years, Obama would've been top 3. As of now, Top 10 is fine.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #524 on: January 26, 2016, 02:54:48 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies