The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:32:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 226958 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: October 16, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »

Despite my disdain for Hillary, I think she genuinely believes she is doing good, more so than most politicians. I would describe her more as lost with a moral compass that points in the wrong direction.

Bill, on the other hand, is basically evil, and has probably been a negative influence on Hillary.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #901 on: October 16, 2016, 05:53:11 PM »

They banned liquor, sterilized minorities, imprisoned thousands of political prisoners, and re-segregated the federal government. How progressive.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #902 on: October 17, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »

There's a difference between judging someone for their sins and thinking that a life of wall-to-wall, public, unrepentant vice ought to disqualify someone from being swept into office as the candidate of a de facto Christian political party.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #903 on: October 23, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »

Not a funny or witty comment, but it's the most succinct explanation for the confusion people feel when Party X adopts awful position Y.

people who care enough about climate change to let it influence their vote would almost never even think of voting for a party like AfD in the first place.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #904 on: October 25, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »

OK seriously, what the actual f**k is going on in this thread?

I make a simple post wondering if maybe, just maaaaaaaybe support for SSM isn't the only morally relevant litmus test among current political issues, and all of a sudden, "I don't care about LGBT rights", I have "contempt for SSM", I think it's a "bourgeois" issue, and maybe I'm even a little homophobic, who knows?

Have you all actually gone insane?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #905 on: October 27, 2016, 12:11:48 PM »

McMullin worked for the CIA, the Republicans in Congress and Goldman Sachs. If you vote for him you are probably a terrible person. Also, wasn't it cool to make fun of Mormons a few years back? Why the Lou Dobbs hate? If he did it in 2011 and 2012 he would be celebrated. 

Millions of decent people are going to vote for all of the candidates.  A handful of loonies will vote for all of the candidates.  The people of America are much better than their Presidential candidates in this election, and are doing the best they can do with what they have to work with.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #906 on: October 27, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »

I think we can all agree there are other important issues beside LGBT rights and it doesn't make the LGBT rights any less important.

I deeply care about economic/social issues and it doesn't affect the way I care about the LGBT rights. Why would it?

What I don't approve is a single-issue mentality, no matter what said issue is. It's narrow-minded and counterproductive (and I'm not referring to any poster right now).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #907 on: October 27, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »

I didn't think Dobbs was a Republican, but okay.

Nor does he, probably, think that of you.
BundouYMB

« Reply #908 on: October 27, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »

Some people like him because he's not Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton... unfortunately, he is Gary Johnson.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #909 on: October 28, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #910 on: November 01, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »

cc: The Burn thread

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #911 on: November 02, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »

Filthy dead baby bears down 1 shortly. Hoping this goes 4-0. Sadly the Cubs are good, but them winning would basically be Trump winning the Presidential election.

Cubs winning is like Cruz winning the Presidency

Comparing the Cubs to Ted Cruz in any regard is unconscionable.

Cubs would easily compare to the Empire, the Borg, Voldemort, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Putin, etc. You get the general idea.

Nope. That would be the Yankees
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #912 on: November 06, 2016, 05:11:13 AM »

How many of these are there I saw the scholastic poll why do we need this?

Still more useful and relevant than anything you've posted.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #913 on: November 06, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »

That could have been a perfect political cartoon to illustrate what the GOP actually did.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #914 on: November 06, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »

Very similar to me.  I actually dislike Trump as a person and all things equal prefer Clinton policies overall when compared to Trump but will vote for him for being anti-PC.  Also I want to vote for White consolidation.
This is a great example of what not to do with your vote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #915 on: November 06, 2016, 07:14:31 PM »

Very similar to me.  I actually dislike Trump as a person and all things equal prefer Clinton policies overall when compared to Trump but will vote for him for being anti-PC.  Also I want to vote for White consolidation.

What the hell does "white consolidation" mean?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #916 on: November 06, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »

Oh God, I warned you guys that Rachel Dolezel would lead to confused and deranged "trans-racial" people coming out of the woodwork and tanning salons Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #917 on: November 06, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »

Very similar to me.  I actually dislike Trump as a person and all things equal prefer Clinton policies overall when compared to Trump but will vote for him for being anti-PC.  Also I want to vote for White consolidation.

He's gone into some depth on this before. He wants the United States to devolve into Mississippi-style racially-determined voting, to keep enough whites from voting Democratic that Democrats will win and raise his taxes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #918 on: November 06, 2016, 08:56:28 PM »

Oh God, I warned you guys that Rachel Dolezel would lead to confused and deranged "trans-racial" people coming out of the woodwork and tanning salons Tongue
I consider myself trans-racial.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #919 on: November 07, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »

You guys need to learn how to meme properly.  It takes time, yes, but before you know it you'll be shifting election polls and making your shallow perceptions of where a state's political leanings should be become reality.  Just like TNVol and myself. Smiley
Don't flatter yourself, TNVol is the only one who did that.

IceSpear's shtick is just really unfunny.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #920 on: November 07, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »

TL;DR: everyone makes 3 hackish predictions of his/her own party winning.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #921 on: November 10, 2016, 11:09:42 PM »

In all honesty, we can't. Not without sacrificing our ideals. Bernie Sanders is a very unique individual and there simply aren't many like him who can be both an intellectual and a man of the people. Jeremy Corbyn comes to mind, but he's British. The Democratic platform of social justice appeals to minorities and college educated Whites; not to non-college educated Whites. We are a party of diverse groups; African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic immigrants, Atheists, Muslims, and so on. The working class White man from eastern Ohio doesn't care about social justice issues; if anything, he supports the police rather than BLM and "clean" coal over stricter environmental regulations.

I would love to have a Democratic Party that can appeal to the White working class, colleged educated Whites, and minorities at sufficient levels to regain and maintain control over the institutions of government. Unfortunately, one of these groups must be lost in order to hold power with the others. I just hope I'm wrong.
I mean this in the kindest way possible and with all due respect, but I think you're wrong. The Democratic Party has always been the party of building ingenious demographic coalitions with strong and lasting bonds. We slip up from time to time and the coalition doesn't always hold up, but time and time again the Democratic Party is able to rebuild. We need something like the New Deal coalition again, and we won't get it just by driving up minority turnout and hoping for the best.

It's not that I disagree with you because if you saw my other recent posts, I want us to reach out to and become the party of the working class again. But I also fear that in so doing we may have to compromise our social justice values to achieve this. Unless we can miraculously staff the party with Sanders and Brown types, I don't see how we achieve this.
I think it is a bit pessimistic to say that social justice and the goals of the white working class are incompatible. The white working class didn't leave the party when abortion became a headline issue, or when gay marriage was added to the platform. The working class left the party when neoliberalism took over. When we stopped talking about unions, trade and poverty and only started talking about social justice.

We can do both. We just have to make sure that all members of the coalition get their piece of the pie.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #922 on: November 11, 2016, 04:28:59 AM »

Tendies, the fact that Hillary lost doesn't change the fact that you're an a**hole.

We survived 8 years with an idiot president and a bond villain vice president, we will survive a giant misogynistic Cheeto.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #923 on: November 12, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »

The right is a big supporter of huge military spending. What is more violent than war?
This doesn't work anymore now that the Democratic party has been all too happy to embrace a giant military involved in perpetual war.

Not to mention that WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Somalia, Syria, etc etc were all started by Democratic presidents.

Democrats have no right to chide anyone about war.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #924 on: November 14, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »

Not a one-liner, but I think it counts as a simple truth:

Good investigative reporting is worth saving, especially at the local and state level where coverage has been incredibly impoverished for years. Statistically literate data journalism is worth saving. Even explicitly ideological journalism is worth saving.

The "mainstream" media, with its pretensions of objectivity and compulsive and decreasingly compelling apologias on behalf of financial, cultural, and political elites, is not worth saving.

Ratings-driven, 24-hour cable news-entertainment is not worth saving, and it'd be worth quite a bit of effort if we could guarantee its total destruction. Burnt it down and salt the earth so thoroughly that nothing so wicked and harmful to our country can take its place.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies