The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:32:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 227978 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: November 14, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »

The right is a big supporter of huge military spending. What is more violent than war?
This doesn't work anymore now that the Democratic party has been all too happy to embrace a giant military involved in perpetual war.

Not to mention that WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Somalia, Syria, etc etc were all started by Democratic presidents.

Democrats have no right to chide anyone about war.

Hitler was a Democratic President?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #926 on: November 14, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »

The right is a big supporter of huge military spending. What is more violent than war?
This doesn't work anymore now that the Democratic party has been all too happy to embrace a giant military involved in perpetual war.

Not to mention that WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Somalia, Syria, etc etc were all started by Democratic presidents.

THe implication is fairly obvious.  But I'll explain it for you anyway:

U.S. involvement in those wars was initiated by Democratic presidents.

Moral or not, it is still the reality.

But I mean... what kind of question is that?  Did you forget to put your thinking cap on?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #927 on: November 15, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »

I mean, to be fair to Figueira, one of the Massachusetts Republican House candidates this year has a passage on his website about how a third-term Democrat got us involved in World War II, in a context that clearly implies that he thinks that was a bad thing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #928 on: November 15, 2016, 06:54:01 PM »

Clinton would perhaps be worse than a generic D. Its kind of shocking that she's having to fend off Bernie Sanders in the first place.

*cough*
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #929 on: November 15, 2016, 11:37:01 PM »

abandoning the base of minority voters, which are growing and may take vengence on the Democrats if ignored, just to pursue "white working class" voters (which, over-simplfies Trump's appeal to white voters), who are disappearing rapidly and already have salty impressions of the Democratic party, is a bad strategy short-term and a worse strategy long-term. I have no idea what anyone means anymore by "identity politics" - Harris is an incredibly accomplished person! Is it just nominating anyone who isn't a white male anymore is "identity politics"! That's ridicolous!

But by all means, let's nominate Jim Justice in 2020 because we should just become the Republicans in everything but name just because muh WWC.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #930 on: November 15, 2016, 11:38:40 PM »

THe implication is fairly obvious.  But I'll explain it for you anyway:

But I mean... what kind of question is that?  Did you forget to put your thinking cap on?

I was being somewhat pedantic, but I think ssying that the US "started" WWII is pretty ridiculous.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #931 on: November 16, 2016, 07:55:42 PM »

All politics is, to some extent, identity politics.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #932 on: November 16, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »

THe implication is fairly obvious.  But I'll explain it for you anyway:

But I mean... what kind of question is that?  Did you forget to put your thinking cap on?

I was being somewhat pedantic, but I think ssying that the US "started" WWII is pretty ridiculous.
From an American perspective, Democratic presidents started our involvement in those wars.  I'm sorry you didn't understand that.  Obviously other people did.  Pedantic indeed.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #933 on: November 16, 2016, 09:50:17 PM »

Snowguy's posts are usually pretty good, except when he's high on lutefisk.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #934 on: November 16, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »

Yes, "took the United States to war" does not automatically equal "started the war".

Interestingly, most of major conflicts in contemporary history involving America were not "started" per se by the U.S. The U.S. joined both World Wars when these were underway. Vietnam was already at war, when Washington decided to jump in and replace French (there may be some dispute which President actually started with Vietnam, since Eisenhower was the first to get U.S. involved militarily). Korea was a reaction to Kim Il-sung's invasion of the South. Another possible point of dispute is whether we'll consider bombing Cambodia (Republican President again) a integral part of Vietnam or relevant, but separate campaign.

Naturally, there was a number of smaller-scale wars fully started by the United States (all interventions in Latin America for example). 
mencken
« Reply #935 on: November 19, 2016, 11:14:54 PM »

Pick a pro-life, tax cuts, pro business and anti illegal immigration Democrat, I will vote for him/her.

OK, here:

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #936 on: November 20, 2016, 02:10:49 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2016, 02:13:30 AM by shua »

posting for the last part
This is some serious hilara-garbage.  I like how he just vaguely states that he knows from "Wharton admission requirements" what Trump's IQ is.  I assume he found the average SAT for Wharton admissions, or something, and correlated that to IQ tests.  But I have no idea, since he doesn't even bother to explain the methodology behind his most crucial claim in the article.  He then goes on to babble a bunch about Maslow's concept of self-actualization, which has absolutely nothing to do IQ or anything, besides the fact that the author and his wife seem to like the idea that Trump is a "self-actualizing man" or something.  This is total trash, and the sort of thing for which the Goldwater Rule was created.

FWIW:  I think Trump is a pretty irrational and disorganized thinker, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a reasonably high IQ.  I very much doubt Obama has a low one.

What is it with partisans arguing not that their side is right but that their side is smarter?

It's simple, TJ.  People who agree with us ideologically, for some unexplained reason, happen to have a bunch of favorable personality traits, even though there's no logical reason to assume they'd have any association with ideology.  People who agree with my beliefs are more likely to be smart, honest, clean, and they always return their library books on time.  I know this because I notice people I don't like having bad traits all the time!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #937 on: November 28, 2016, 06:02:05 PM »

I think even if one rightly thinks the Cuban expats in SoFlo are largely terrible far-right bores, one should not diminish his crimes. Pointing to education and healthful seems fine at first glance, but as we would mock a "trains ran on time" defense of a rightist, we should equally disdain such arguments defending leftost leaders. Castro's regime may have been relatively banal in terms of criminal acts (I can name ten far worse contemporaneous LAtin American regimes without breaking a sweat) but still did, y;know, dictatorial stuff.
Cuckslayer
Rookie
« Reply #938 on: November 30, 2016, 06:59:02 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2016, 07:02:05 PM by Cuckslayer »

Sure, let's continue to prop up non-Americans while our own citizens receive no such aid. I hope Graham's dandy self gets primaried like no tomorrow next election.

Senator Graham is disgusting.

Can't wait for Trump and hopefully Ryan to put this loser into his place.

This is Trumps Party now. Our immigration laws will be enforced.

Trump and your party are sociopaths.

Enforcing immigration laws is literally hitlerism.

One of the great things Obama has done is deport 3 million illegal immigrants. Hopefully Trump can ramp up the process.
Cuckslayer
Rookie
« Reply #939 on: November 30, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »

Sure, let's continue to prop up non-Americans while our own citizens receive no such aid. I hope Graham's dandy self gets primaried like no tomorrow next election.

One of the great things Obama has done is deport 3 million illegal immigrants. Hopefully Trump can ramp up the process.

53 posts in one day? Really?

Now it's 54 😮
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #940 on: November 30, 2016, 09:07:43 PM »

Surely, there must be an intermediate position between the hegemony of international finance and a total collapse of society.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #941 on: November 30, 2016, 09:59:58 PM »

53 posts in one day? Really?

Now it's 54 😮

what was it again, DwarvenDemocrat or something? Is that you?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #942 on: December 05, 2016, 01:26:39 AM »

You know what's the worst part about Moderate Heroes?

The fact that they thing being a centrist automatically makes them smarter and better than those to the left or right.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #943 on: December 05, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »

Because a lot of liberal Jews are willing to forgive soft anti-semitism on the left if the candidate hits all their other progressive buttons. This isn't new.

No comment on the rest (Keith Ellison is not a frickin' anti-Semite), but this ignores the woeful degree to which right-wingers routinely ignore hard anti-semitism on the right.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #944 on: December 05, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »

I don't think so, but there's a heckuva lot more evidence that he is, than there is for Steve Bannon, who the left had a conniption over. If we want people to take us seriously, we have got to stop doing this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #945 on: December 06, 2016, 10:01:28 PM »

Context:
Something about his posting style really pisses me off, in a way that our far right Nazis and mad kooks don't.  If you're going to be unfathomably smug, at least find something interesting to be smug about.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #946 on: December 06, 2016, 10:08:43 PM »

This is where Trump's devil may care attitude about coalition building and lack of attention to detail could bite him.  Given who voted for him and where, climate change is the single most dangerous issue for him to move to the center on.  If he flip flops on CO2 regulation, he could narrowly lose both the Midwest and Texas in 2020.

so you're saying two birds, one stone?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #947 on: December 07, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »

I'm just sad that Tweed is back on the net and not inside a mental hospital being pumped full of medication. The dude is a complete nutjob and his transgressions against someone as kind as BaconKing shouldn't ever be forgotten or forgiven.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #948 on: December 07, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »

Calling out TNVol

You are just afraid of strong women!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #949 on: December 07, 2016, 08:28:59 PM »

Cuomo is a classical liberal centrist. The party better get with the program. Cuomo isn't Zell Miller for God's sake. Cuomo is the nominee, he likely beats Trump. He is an Italian. He's feisty. Trump will meet his match. Period.

are all italians feisty you god damn racist

Cuomo isn't a centrist, he's a whatever will keep him in power - taking lefty stands to keep the base placated, in the background making sure that Republicans control the State Senate so that nothing ever actually gets done.  He's kind of just an asshole.

Most Italians are feisty, I live around them. When you drive, they say you drive fast, because it is slowing up the road.

Who in your opinion is a true centrist in the Democratic Party?

bronz just god damn swatted me out of the park with that one. He's right. I'm Italian, I drive fast, so thus I'm feisty. Damn he's good.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies