The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:55:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 228291 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 17, 2015, 09:47:19 PM »

This is exactly why no one in their right mind could support "states' rights"

And if the national government was doing something like this, would you then suddenly switch to be in favor of states rights?

If the United States was as dumb as Oklahoma, God help us.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »

All this thread proves is that the native born white American will no longer fight.

Mark my words, if there's another big war, the Mexicans are going to be like the Irish during the Civil War.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:30:50 PM »

Well at least they saved her some time. Now she should annihilate their pensions.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:04:42 PM »

He changed his underwear this morning.

I hope...
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »

HELL YEAH

off.  This country would be a better place if every "fiscal conservative, social liberal" were rounded up, shot in the back of the head, and buried in mass graves like the animals they are.
How very BRTD of you.  Are you just praising stupid hyperbole to earn points with the clique or are you actually a wannabee mass murderer like the poster?  The desire to murder your political enemies is kind of, I don't know, insane.  Sometimes I think you're better than this, other times, not so much.

This week's Lecture in Morality from the Social Darwinist.
If you can't defend what your friends say, attack the guy pointing out what they say.  Nice.

Plus, there's a complete asymmetry here.  If a conservative says something nasty about liberals, they will get petitions to ban them put up right away.  On the other hand, a liberal can say pretty much whatever they want about conservatives and get away with it.  This extends to the media too - see Paul Krugman, Chris Mooney, Jonathan Chait, etc.

Compare Adam Griffin/BeccaM/NYMillenial/bedstuy to say, AggregateDemand.  All have said very nasty things about the opposition, but only AD ended up receiving a banning.  I'm not saying anyone should be banned, but it definitely seems like there is a double standard here.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:19 PM »

One slight improvement would be "economically right-wing and socially libertarian". I mean that at least makes sense, although it is pithy and annoying. Why do people even need catchy advertising slogans to advertise their beliefs? Why not settle it to a cute jingle why you're at it?

"Are you liberal or conservative?"
"I'm actually pretty libertarian."
"What's libertarian?"
"I'm economically right-wing and socially libertarian."
"Uh... but what's libertarian?"
"Well, it means I'm economically right-wing and socially libertarian."
"You keep defining libertarian as libertarian, I just want to know what that means."
"ARGH, I'M NOT ALLOWED TO SAY FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE AND SOCIALLY LIBERAL BECAUSE IT UPSETS INTERNET LEFTISTS"
Just say you want less government intervention jesus christ is that so hard.

Or say you hate poor people and your ideology pretty much revolves around being a pothead who doesn't want to pay taxes.

Can you make a single political opinion without resorting to extreme hyperbole and hatred for those who disagree?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »

The point is that these people have committed serious offenses that have led to them losing some of the rights that people are normally accorded. It's not meant to be a walk in the park.

Just because they are prisoners doesn't mean it's OK to treat them like dirt. Time and time again, I see issues of mistreatment or other bs regarding prisoners come up and again see certain folks just shrug it off and say "well they are prisoners after all!", as if that justifies anything and everything.

This is why recidivism is such a problem in America. Many people have such a cavalier attitude towards convicts/felons, as if they are sub-human or something.
Wrong thread.

It's fine.  Pit's post belongs here, at least.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd expect an aspiring professor (she's an assistant professor) would conduct herself with more dignity than she demonstrated in this article. Not to mention her exploitation of "the full range of [her] first amendment entitlements;" and I thought I was pretentious...

In modern academia this sort of conduct is likely viewed as an asset rather than a liability. Many departments are almost entirely politicized at this point, especially post-Trump. Younger American academia is full of people, who if by some extreme misfortune, ever did manage to come to power would begin by guillotining a quarter of the country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies