Toddler shoots mom at Idaho Walmart.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:29:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Toddler shoots mom at Idaho Walmart.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Toddler shoots mom at Idaho Walmart.  (Read 5130 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 10:36:53 PM »

So we should ban people from carrying guns because kids might get their hands on them? By that reasoning all gun ownership should be banned since kids are more likely to get their hands on guns in a house than on someone's person.

Yes, yes exactly! Finally you damn fool libertarians are starting to understand!
I knew someone would say that lol. But my point is, if you think that this is evidence that guns should be banned, just say so instead of complaining about concealed carry.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »

I don't support a blanket ban on guns but I certainly support a ban on concealed carry. So I don't see what was wrong with my statement.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »

I don't support a blanket ban on guns but I certainly support a ban on concealed carry. So I don't see what was wrong with my statement.
It makes no sense to use this incident as an example of why concealed carry should be banned. Situations involving a child obtaining a gun are more likely to occur inside a home than if the gun is on someone's person.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 11:38:33 PM »

It makes no sense to use this incident as an example of why concealed carry should be banned. Situations involving a child obtaining a gun are more likely to occur inside a home than if the gun is on someone's person.
If a gun were locked away in a secure location in a position a child would be unable to reach, I think that would be much more secure than carrying a gun in an open handbag.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »

Not at all. The 2nd Amendment is archaic and is the irrational product of a bunch of paranoid revolutionaries.  Many of our domestic gun violence problems can be traced to a glut of firearms (the average amount of guns per capita is staggering); so long as legal distribution and possession is possible, guns will easily be accessible for crime, black market transactions, and accidents.
Yeah, prohibiting stuff always does such a good job at ensuring that that stuff can't be obtained, transported, and sold in black markets. Just look at how well it's worked with drugs!
Actually, it's worked fairly well with drugs that aren't growable or easily made from commonly available materials.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 02:46:01 AM »

Not at all. The 2nd Amendment is archaic and is the irrational product of a bunch of paranoid revolutionaries.  Many of our domestic gun violence problems can be traced to a glut of firearms (the average amount of guns per capita is staggering); so long as legal distribution and possession is possible, guns will easily be accessible for crime, black market transactions, and accidents.
Yeah, prohibiting stuff always does such a good job at ensuring that that stuff can't be obtained, transported, and sold in black markets. Just look at how well it's worked with drugs!
Actually, it's worked fairly well with drugs that aren't growable or easily made from commonly available materials.
Such as? Cocaine is growable but it's grown almost exclusively outside of the United States (just as guns would continue to be manufactured abroad were they to be banned in the US), yet prohibition hasn't been very effective in reducing the use of that substance.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, 02:49:27 AM »

It is a very obvious drawback of carrying a gun everywhere you go for no logical reason.

This woman was a victim of her own paranoia and stupidity and got what she deserved. If only she knew it was ultimately more dangerous for her to have a gun than it was for "the criminals" to have them.
I agree that this woman was stupid, though not necessarily because she took it to Wal Mart (we don't know what the town is like or what else she was doing that day), but because she put it in her freaking purse. If you're going to carry outside, you should use a holster. I'm sure if Dead0man were still active (whatever happened to him?) he'd make one of his "darwin" comments (except this time it would actually be appropriate).
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:29 AM »

It is a very obvious drawback of carrying a gun everywhere you go for no logical reason.

This woman was a victim of her own paranoia and stupidity and got what she deserved. If only she knew it was ultimately more dangerous for her to have a gun than it was for "the criminals" to have them.
I agree that this woman was stupid, though not necessarily because she took it to Wal Mart (we don't know what the town is like or what else she was doing that day), but because she put it in her freaking purse. If you're going to carry outside, you should use a holster. I'm sure if Dead0man were still active (whatever happened to him?) he'd make one of his "darwin" comments (except this time it would actually be appropriate).

It's Idaho for christsakes.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 04:27:14 AM »

Clearly a stupid woman. Who puts a loaded gun in her "handbag" and then brings it to Wal-Mart with a small child? There are some people that need a safety lesson before owning guns. RIP stupid woman Sad

But anyway, every case like this is just a way for left-wingers to advocate for more bans of guns, its getting old.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »

Such as? Cocaine is growable but it's grown almost exclusively outside of the United States (just as guns would continue to be manufactured abroad were they to be banned in the US), yet prohibition hasn't been very effective in reducing the use of that substance.
Coca is grown outside the US for economic reasons, not because coca can't be grown here. Up until the recent advent of legal marijuana, most marijuana in the US was imported too.  Quaaludes are the principal poster child for reasonably effective drug control.

Given the large supply of guns currently available, while a gun ban could not be completely effective, it would be able to curb the casual availability of guns.  That would reduce their use in suicide and domestic violence, which are the primary problems they cause. (A majority of gun deaths are suicides and studies show that women who live in gun-free homes are considerably less likely to be murdered because most women who are murdered are murdered by someone they know.)  Even here in the US, gun deaths are lower in states where guns are more tightly regulated.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 06:03:27 AM »

Maybe our lax gun laws aren't so beneficial
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 08:06:24 AM »

Again :
So we should ban people from carrying guns because kids might get their hands on them?
Yes.
By that reasoning all gun ownership should be banned since kids are more likely to get their hands on guns in a house than on someone's person.
And yes.

See, you solved it all by yourself.

Oh, and by the way : LOL.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »

So we should ban people from carrying guns because kids might get their hands on them? By that reasoning all gun ownership should be banned since kids are more likely to get their hands on guns in a house than on someone's person.

Yes, yes exactly! Finally you damn fool libertarians are starting to understand!

I knew someone would say that lol. But my point is, if you think that this is evidence that guns should be banned, just say so instead of complaining about concealed carry.

Well, if that's what you want. This is clearly evidence that guns should be banned.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 08:53:48 AM »

Well, the child was probably white, otherwise the cops would have shot him.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »

This woman was a victim of her own paranoia and stupidity

Perhaps.

No.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »

That poor child is going to bear the burden of this accident for his entire life. Think about how this will affect his relationship with his siblings. This is a terrible tragedy beyond the woman's death.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »

Obviously an assault weapons ban coupled with confiscations and magazine limits is the only way to stop things like this from happening.

This tragedy makes it quite clear that these measures would not be sufficient; a repeal of the 2nd Amendment is required.

I truly hope you're joking

Like repealing the 2nd Amendment is somehow extreme.  Lol... only in Gun Nut USA.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »

Very sad. No one should be taking a gun into Walmart.

And that's the only conclusion you've been able to draw from this event? Very deep, man.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »

I live less than a mile away from this Walmart.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:39 PM »

Coca is grown outside the US for economic reasons, not because coca can't be grown here. Up until the recent advent of legal marijuana, most marijuana in the US was imported too. 
The only strengthens my argument. My point is that just because something can't be produced in the US, that doesn't mean that it won't be transported, sold, and used within the US.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
That's because the DEA went to other countries and pressured/assisted their governments in going after the production of methaqualone powder. This strategy be unrealistic and destructive if attempted with firearms (plus similar efforts against coca production in South America haven't gone great either).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Use in suicide is not a reason to ban anything. You think a suicidal person really cares about the instrument they use?

Do you have evidence that guns are used more in domestic violence than in other crimes like homicide, theft, etc?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »

Is there any reason to be packing heat in this area outside of maybe a few browns roaming around?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »

Is there any reason to be packing heat in this area outside of maybe a few browns roaming around?

There's absolutely no reason to "pack heat" in Hayden but that doesn't stop most people from having a arsenal of firearms in a vault.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2014, 04:32:56 PM »

There's absolutely no reason to "pack heat" in Hayden but that doesn't stop most people from having a arsenal of firearms in a vault.

'Murica.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »

BAN ALL GUNS SO THAT ONLY THE COPS AND ARMY CAN HAVE THEM! CAUSE THEY DON'T CAUSE ANY HARM!(sarcasm)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »

It's sick how the gun industry is targeting women with products like a purse that has a special pocket for a gun, even though the studies that owning a gun is far more likely to get you shot than not owning one are out there. The gun industry doesn't care if mothers get shot as long as they make their $$$.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies