Leelah Alcorn, transgender girl, kills self due to bigoted parents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:07:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Leelah Alcorn, transgender girl, kills self due to bigoted parents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Leelah Alcorn, transgender girl, kills self due to bigoted parents  (Read 12951 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 31, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »

Disgusting people.  They cut her off from the world because they didn't like who she was?  Despicable.  I hope the state prosecutes these a-holes for the emotional distress they put their daughter through.  I don't see how this is not abuse.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »

The only thing you leave behind when you die is what people think of you. You can do your best to be the master of that in life; if you're good you hope that people will remember that you are good. But it's never entirely in your control. In this instance it is likely that she will be buried as a he, in clothing that she would not have liked and in a manner that is disrespectful to her life and to who she was as a person. That is the ultimate tragedy and it befalls many people; if you are eulogised as a person that you were not, then it's almost as if you were never 'you' at all.

The other issue related to this, is the general disregard for the rights of children in society. Children have rights as people independent of and contrary to the rights or wishes of their parents. This is a normal part of human development.  It is unfortunate that their wishes, even when expressed, can often be disregarded particularly on the cusp of adulthood. 

Ugh.  I forgot about this.  She was 17 so her POS parents will put her in a tux and send her off to Jesus... Absolutely horrifying.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:39:12 AM »

Are we really bringing in the idea that Leelah's selfishness might have traumatized the truck driver?  Jesus **** can you people just say that she skeeves you out and you want an excuse to say something bad about her?  Do you think you aren't completely transparent?  Just get it out and be honest and stop hiding your nastiness behind such a stupid and irrelevant argument in the overall conversation.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »

Are we really bringing in the idea that Leelah's selfishness might have traumatized the truck driver?  Jesus **** can you people just say that she skeeves you out and you want an excuse to say something bad about her?  Do you think you aren't completely transparent?  Just get it out and be honest and stop hiding your nastiness behind such a stupid and irrelevant argument in the overall conversation.

Uh, I am trans and I think Leelah erred in terms of method, I just didn't want to bring it up until now because I think it distracts from the main point.

Maybe so, but that is not what we are discussing here.  It's like discussing the rationale the Bush Administration used to invade Iraq and then bringing up how it boosted American morale back home.  Yea sure, but that's not the point and if you make a point to mention that you are clearly just doing it to further an already-standing opinion. Same thing here, where those people who are the first to bemoan the plight of the driver are also the first to display a prejudice or ignorance towards trans individuals.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies