Leelah Alcorn, transgender girl, kills self due to bigoted parents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:54:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Leelah Alcorn, transgender girl, kills self due to bigoted parents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Leelah Alcorn, transgender girl, kills self due to bigoted parents  (Read 12972 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: January 01, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »

The religious context of this is not 100% clear to me. Is this link between fundis and being against transsexuals as simple as "God ascribed a gender to him/her, it is sinful to change it?" Or is there more to it? (fear of their "son" turning gay by having a relationship to a guy?).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »

Jumping in front of a car or truck and directly putting a person at fault for a death is a pretty selfish act.

WCPO
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fox News: "Muslim Man Kills Teen Boy with Big Rig: Terror Link Not Ruled Out"

And it happened in SOUTH LEBANON..
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2015, 05:25:26 PM by politicus »

The religious context of this is not 100% clear to me. Is this link between fundis and being against transsexuals as simple as "God ascribed a gender to him/her, it is sinful to change it?" Or is there more to it? (fear of their "son" turning gay by having a relationship to a guy?).

No one answered this, so I will repost.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »

The way that religion connects to the parents' view is easy. "God made you a boy, boys like girls, and that's the end of it." It's probably congruent with the Bible, however misguided in the present that it is.

Possibly, but the Koran has similar assumptions and Iran is the country with the second highest amount of sex change operations (sometimes with public funding) and there it is seen as a way to avoid homosexual relations (better change the boy to a girl, who can then marry a man, than risk gay relations).

In my parents congregation there is a traditional Christian couple that view this in the same way and has supported their "daughter" (ie. self identified son) getting a sex change operation for this reason. So it is not that simple and given the strong anti-gay sentiment of many conservative Christians I  find this approach more understandable and better in line with a traditional interpretation of Scripture.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies