Is there a thread for the 2015 gubernatorial elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:34:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is there a thread for the 2015 gubernatorial elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there a thread for the 2015 gubernatorial elections?  (Read 2309 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »

I can't find one.
1.If there is, please merge this with that thread.
2.For what it's worth, I hate the word 'gubernatoriall', although I'm sure many governors are goobers.

Candidates
Kentucky
1.Jack Conway, State Attorney General 2007-2015. 2002 Congressional nominee for the Louisville district (lost narrowly to Republican Anne Northup). 2010 U.S Senate nominee (lost not so narrowly to Republican Rand Paul)

2.Geoff Young, Retired Assistant Director of Kentucky Division of Energy. 2014 6th District candidate for nomination (received 39% of vote in a two way primary). 2012 Green Party state representative nominee (received around 8% of the vote).

Other potential candidates (though I doubt anyone else will run) include Alison Lundergan Grimes,  the state Secretary of State who lost the 2014 U.S Senate election.

Conway is an avowed 'centrist' while Young is a more traditional liberal Democrat.  It would make for a good race with Democrats who are opposed to '3rd way' Democratic politics supporting Young, but Conway will certainly swamp Young in fundraising and should win the primary easily.

Republicans
1.James Comer, State Agriculture Commissioner 2011-2015
Beef cattle, timber and hay farmer

2.Hal Heiner, Former Louisville Metro Councillor 2002-2010.  2010 Louisville Republican mayoral nominee and received 48.4% of the vote. 
His opponent, the Democratic winner Greg Fischer was reelected in 2014 with two thirds of the vote.  Mr Fischer ran for the  Democratic U.S Senate nomination in 2008 coming in second in the primary.
There has not been a Republican mayor of Louisville since 1973 and, although I haven't looked, Heiner almost certainly received the highest share of the vote for a Republican mayoral nominee since then.

3.Robert Lee Rosier, Retired Army Corps of Engineers officer.  Religious right candidate.

Again there are other potential Republican candidates, but I don't know that anyone else will enter this race.

If this remains the primary field, I'd expect an urban/rural race between Comer and Heiner.  Comer made allegedly disparaging remarks against 'city folks' that will probably be played up by Heiner. (Though some viewed Comer's remarks as directed only against Heiner).   Rosier is almost certainly just a fringe candidate.

Louisiana
Democrats
1.John Bel Edwards, State Representative and Minority Leader

2.Jeremy Odom, Baptist Minister and tax consultant (CPA?)

Wiki also says that Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell (one of five PSCs) is also a declared candidate but politics1 does not mention him and I can find no evidence of this online.  He was also just reelected to the PSC in 2014.

Again, there are a few other potential candidates including defeated 3 term U.S Senator Mary Landrieu and her brother, New Orleans mayor Mitch Landreau.

Republicans
1.Scott Angelle, Public Service Commissioner 2012-, Former Lieutenant Governor (appointed)
Former State Department of Natural Resources Secretary under both Democratic governor Kathleen Blanco and Republican governor Bobby Jindal

2.Jay Dardenne, Lieutenant Governor 2010-

3.David Vitter, U.S Senator 2004-

Again, there are other prospective candidates, but these are the only 3 declared so far.  Vitter leads in the polls so far, but I have no doubt 'diaper Dave' will receive a stiff challenge.  Louisiana has a jungle primary where the top two candidates, regardless of party, advance to the general election.  If Vitter and Angelle are the runoff candidates I could see a lot of Democrats supporting Angelle, who is a former Democrat.

Mississippi
Democrats
no declared candidates
Wiki lists the following as potential candidates
1.Travis Childers, former U.S. Representative and nominee for the U.S. Senate in 2014

2.Brandon Presley, Commissioner for the Northern District of the Mississippi Public Service Commission and former Mayor of Nettleton

Republicans
1.Phil Bryant, incumbent

wiki lists 2014 Republican U.S Senate candidate Chris McDaniels as a potential challenger, though I can't imagine he still has much support after his childish temper tantrum at losing the Republican primary runoff.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 01:44:30 AM »

I've had a Louisiana thread for some time now, but we've kinda just discussed the others in multiple threads.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 01:52:26 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2015, 02:00:11 AM by Adam T »

Thanks.
My predictions (I'll post them here rather than the predictions thread if nobody minds)
Kentucky: Jack Conway defeats James Comer (Steve Beshear's popularity pushes Conway to victory)
Louisiana: Scott Angelle defeats David Vitter in runoff (Democrats vote for Angelle to defeat Vitter)
Mississippi: Phil Bryant wins easy reelection

I don't know that Vitter is an improvement over Jindal.  A quick reading of his political views shows to me that he is easily one of the most right wing Republicans I've ever seen. The guy even opposes 'net nutrality'.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 02:16:34 AM »

Thanks.
My predictions (I'll post them here rather than the predictions thread if nobody minds)
Kentucky: Jack Conway defeats James Comer (Steve Beshear's popularity pushes Conway to victory)
Louisiana: Scott Angelle defeats David Vitter in runoff (Democrats vote for Angelle to defeat Vitter)

I don't know that Vitter is an improvement over Jindal.  A quick reading of his political views shows to me that he is easily one of the most right wing Republicans I've ever seen. The guy even opposes 'net nutrality'.

Kentucky may be right, even if the reasoning is pretty bad, but Scott Angelle being the one to beat Vitter is pretty silly. If anything, it's Dardenne.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:21:29 AM »

Why are these boards so big? Shouldn't these old topics be pruned and put in their respective archive to make way for the new elections?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 02:30:06 AM »

Thanks.

Kentucky may be right, even if the reasoning is pretty bad, but Scott Angelle being the one to beat Vitter is pretty silly. If anything, it's Dardenne.

I think Angelle has a lot of growth potential.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 03:06:57 AM »

Why are these boards so big? Shouldn't these old topics be pruned and put in their respective archive to make way for the new elections?

I have already asked Dave to archive the 2014 election stuff (until election day) and create the 2015 Gov. poll section.

But he's not answered yet or done something about it.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 03:11:44 AM »

I have already asked Dave to archive the 2014 election stuff (until election day) and create the 2015 Gov. poll section.

You'd probably be better off posting something in the Atlas board saying "DAVE: Archive the 2014 Election threads".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 03:12:53 AM »

You'd probably be better off posting something in the Atlas board saying "DAVE: Archive the 2014 Election threads".

I have done so.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=203811.0
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 03:28:01 AM »

I have done so.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=203811.0

Apropos of nothing, but similar to this. Dave Litterer hasn't updated his U.S soccer history archives website since 2011.  Because of this I have no idea how the U.S did in the 2014 World Cup.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »

Has Grayson already taken himself out of consideration in Kentucky?  That will probably be the most interesting contest to watch, and I'm pretty sure it will be close.

And in MS, is there any chance that Childers runs or Bryant is primaried?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 05:33:16 PM »

Has Grayson already taken himself out of consideration in Kentucky?  That will probably be the most interesting contest to watch, and I'm pretty sure it will be close.

As of last spring, he wasn't interested in running for (any) office.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 06:49:03 PM »

Has Grayson already taken himself out of consideration in Kentucky?  That will probably be the most interesting contest to watch, and I'm pretty sure it will be close.

And in MS, is there any chance that Childers runs or Bryant is primaried?

According to the wiki Mississippi 2015 election site, the guy who ran against Cochran (he's already forgotten) might run.  I have no idea how much the author of that wiki page is an insider of if they're just throwing out every conceivable name.  Although the Democratic potential list of every conceivable name has only two people!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 06:57:06 PM »

^ McDaniel was mentioned as a potential statewide candidate earlier this year, but I think he's burned too many bridges with the party.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »

I think Conway will beat Comer (R-The Media) in the general, but just not by an enormous margin. Comer has a lot of very serious baggage, but The Media won't report it.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »

Has Grayson already taken himself out of consideration in Kentucky?  That will probably be the most interesting contest to watch, and I'm pretty sure it will be close.

As of last spring, he wasn't interested in running for (any) office.

He might not be conservative enough for the Kentucky GOP these days.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »

^ McDaniel was mentioned as a potential statewide candidate earlier this year, but I think he's burned too many bridges with the party.

Maybe he'll become a gadfly and run a futile campaign as an independent.

If I were someone of influence in the Mississippi Democratic Party, I would certainly be exploring ways to facilitate that.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 10:05:30 AM »

From politics1.com
KENTUCKY: Ex-State Sup Ct Justice Will T Scott (R) launches run for Governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies