Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:19:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast)  (Read 11669 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 12:42:51 AM »

Why can't they just stop letting these people in in the first place? They are disrupting the nice society of the area and just cause trouble anyways. They move in and then refuse to assimilate and just whine and complain and try to change things to suit them.

Scandinavia is one of the few decent places left in the world. It would be a shame if those people came in a ruined it.

Oh noes! We must protect white Sweden from the horrible foreign interlopers, who don't want to live in some bigoted small town where no one speaks their same language and shares their same culture, and where the effects of wartime trauma may be increased by isolation! How horrible! They should just stay in Iraq, so they can get killed by ISIS.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 12:51:39 AM »

Why can't they just stop letting these people in in the first place? They are disrupting the nice society of the area and just cause trouble anyways. They move in and then refuse to assimilate and just whine and complain and try to change things to suit them.

Scandinavia is one of the few decent places left in the world. It would be a shame if those people came in a ruined it.

Oh noes! We must protect white Sweden from the horrible foreign interlopers, who don't want to live in some bigoted small town where no one speaks their same language and shares their same culture, and where the effects of wartime trauma may be increased by isolation! How horrible! They should just stay in Iraq, so they can get killed by ISIS.

They don't want to live in a place where no one shares their language or culture and yet you're calling the other side bigots.

It's bad to be a bigot, it's worse to be a bigot, go another country as a guest, then demand they accommodate your bigotry.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 12:58:30 AM »

They don't want to live in a place where no one shares their language or culture and yet you're calling the other side bigots.

It's bad to be a bigot, it's worse to be a bigot, go another country as a guest, then demand they accommodate your bigotry.

You're not a bigot if you want to have some sort of support system in a trying time. Especially considering that an asylum seeker in rural Sweden might have to deal with racist attitudes not unlike those voiced in this thread.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 01:08:46 AM »

"who don't want to live in some bigoted small town where no one speaks their same language and shares their same culture"

Why is it acceptable for Somalis is to want to only be around people with the same culture and language but not Swedes?
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 01:55:25 AM »

"who don't want to live in some bigoted small town where no one speaks their same language and shares their same culture"

Why is it acceptable for Somalis is to want to only be around people with the same culture and language but not Swedes?

He's not saying that they only want to be around people with the same language and culture, but around some people with the same language and culture. I don't see how you can't perceive the difference between immigrants who, arriving in a completely new country where they don't know the language (and are probably traumatised by war, poverty and dislocation) seek to live in a big city such as Stockholm or Malmö where there is a support network of people who do speak their language and share their culture (and where there is at least some economic opportunity for them so they can, you know, support themselves) versus Swedish people, who live surrounded by other Swedish people and culture, and yet nonetheless object to a very small amount of Somali immigration.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 04:37:23 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2015, 04:39:44 AM by Beezer »

Well I wouldn't know if they are legitimate or not, but for someone who has never seen snow in their life, it's impossible to move to the middle of nowhere in a country where they don't speak the language, most likely don't have access to the internet and other media and could use the support of people from their country who speak the same language as they do and usually live in big cities.
If you think this is a good enough reason to support a party like the Sweden Democrats, then I honestly have nothing to say to you.  

From what I understand, these people have fled wars, persecution, mass rapes, beheadings and so forth. So they really shouldn't be complaining if they're not able to check out the latest Buzzfeed list on the 38 cutest pet ocelots.

Moreover, at least here in Germany, cities have to foot the majority of the bill for housing refugees. That's why numerous politicians have called for refugees to be spread out more evenly across the country since increases in the number of refugees are slowly but surely becoming a major drain on the financial resources of these places.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 04:48:24 AM »

Stormfront.txt

Asylum seekers have the right to demand to be placed in a community that provides for their cultural and economic needs. The Swedish government is making a terrible error if it thinks that small towns are proper locations for refugees. It's far more likely that immigrants will be ostracized in small homogeneous communities than in cosmopolitan cities.

f******g bigot, rural people are not subhuman monsters, they're people like everybody else and as any one who have looked into it can tell, they tend to be much more welcoming and helpful toward foreign neighbours than urbanites, through they also tend to be less forgiving of potential faux pas (this is the single major problem with settling refugees in rural areas).
Foucaulf
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 05:22:27 AM »

Two things worth mentioning here:

1) The actions of a government agency that likes to put on a human face and say it is being a moral force, but actually taking foreign citizens and forcefully relocating them, is immune from criticism, but mentioning the possibility of racism in European society is "f******g bigotry".

2) The rhetoric of "guests" in the first place - envisioning migrants as transient, temporary and only needed to do the dirty work no Scandinavian will touch. At no time is it presumed that something can be learned from the migrants, or that they have plans for the future which we should have respected.

If I were to play on most posters' level, I would mock you by saying your arguments are bad because none of you speak proper English. But I'm already moving to that end, unfortunately...

(also, what the hell does "fried chicken" in the OP have to do with anything?)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 05:45:48 AM »

Stormfront.txt

Asylum seekers have the right to demand to be placed in a community that provides for their cultural and economic needs. The Swedish government is making a terrible error if it thinks that small towns are proper locations for refugees. It's far more likely that immigrants will be ostracized in small homogeneous communities than in cosmopolitan cities.

f******g bigot, rural people are not subhuman monsters, they're people like everybody else and as any one who have looked into it can tell, they tend to be much more welcoming and helpful toward foreign neighbours than urbanites, through they also tend to be less forgiving of potential faux pas (this is the single major problem with settling refugees in rural areas).

Huh

I live in rural Idaho...
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 05:47:42 AM »

I was going to post a quick answer to all the rampant intolerance and self-righteousness around here, but as it is a very tricky and interesting subject, I'll try to look it up a bit first and come up with an argumented answer. A few mentions like fried chicken or Buzzfeed made my mind throw up a little.

So I'll still do this for now :

Fuchs became nervous and tried to blow himself up as police officers approached him (he lost both hands) and a few police officers were badly injured (lost hands too). He later hanged himself in his jail cell.
He hanged himself with no hands ? That's a tough guy if I ever saw one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 06:03:53 AM »

Sweden Democrats are rising because people are morons. Any attempt to justify this otherwise amounts to condoning xenophobia (which I'm sure many posters are all too happy to do anyway).
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 06:58:04 AM »

Sweden Democrats are rising because people are morons. Any attempt to justify this otherwise amounts to condoning xenophobia (which I'm sure many posters are all too happy to do anyway).

How does calling working class voters "morons" help to win them back- not just in Sweden but in other European countries such as France and Denmark where the plurality of the working class have defected to far right parties from the Left?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 07:33:15 AM »

Tony, you know and I know that there is a difference between justification and explanation. 'Because people are morons' isn't an explanation because people can be morons in all sorts of different ways, only some of which cause them to vote for xenophobic political parties.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »

There's that winning Social Democrat attitude! Roll Eyes

No wonder the working class is abandoning the parties you like in droves.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 12:52:49 PM »

What is it about this issue that leads to absurdity, hyperbole and the construction of alternate versions of reality? The question is whether people would rather have an actual discussion or would prefer to screech aimlessly at each other.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »

This thread is why we can't have nice things.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »

The question is whether people would rather have an actual discussion or would prefer to screech aimlessly at each other.

You know the answer is the latter.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »

What is it about this issue that leads to absurdity, hyperbole and the construction of alternate versions of reality? The question is whether people would rather have an actual discussion or would prefer to screech aimlessly at each other.

Yes but the question is what people would rather, and as the Mikado suggests, I think we all know the answer to that
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »

Worth mentioning that the SDs are strongest in the more densely populated south of the country. Urban Sweden in general is to the right of rural Sweden.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2015, 06:13:59 PM by New Canadaland »

Asylum seekers complaining/not winding up where they expected leads to voting SD? I don't get the causality here. Let the asylum seekers complain even if they aren't in the right.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 06:17:56 PM »

Tony, you know and I know that there is a difference between justification and explanation. 'Because people are morons' isn't an explanation because people can be morons in all sorts of different ways, only some of which cause them to vote for xenophobic political parties.

Yes. I apologize. I was neither in the mood nor in the situation to write an intelligent post about this issue (that twisted ankle turned out to be a fracture, and I was posting from a waiting room of the emergencies), so I instead chose to vent the main emotion that this thread inspired me. A few people managed to express my opinion pretty well (DFB and Foucaulf come to mind) so I'll leave it there.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »

Asylum seekers complaining/not winding up where they expected leads to voting SD? I don't get the causality here.

That causality has been explained thoroughly earlier in this thread.

Let the asylum seekers complain even if they aren't in the right.

Remember that this is a normative statement and therefore not relevant for an analysis of the topic at hand.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2015, 07:08:30 PM »

Tell them to deal with it. They are very lucky to have made it that far, considering that there are millions in the world suffering persecution and war without escape.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »

You either accept immigrants, be it economic immigrants or asylum seekers, as f***ing equal human beings, and you don't demand from them anything other than what you'd demand from your fellow native human beings, or you don't accept them at all. Period.

If you aren't prepared to have a planification among native Swedes of who must live in the countryside and who can live wherever they want, you don't do that for the people you accept.

The important part is the concept of f***ing equal human beings, which I fear is growingly lost on many people...
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »

I don't want these pretentious twats in Germany if they behave like this; Sweden can have them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies