Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:00:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast)  (Read 11821 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:45 AM »
« edited: January 01, 2015, 06:30:22 AM by politicus »

Yeah, human traffickers often promise certain things. It is sometimes discussed here if Greenland and the Faroes should take a share of Danish refugees and I could just imagin the reaction if some people where sent to the North Atlantic, but ideally if you are genuinely persecuted you should be grateful to be safe - whether it is in an icy village in Northern Sweden or a small  settlement in Greenland.

With the amount of refugees Sweden takes it would be unrealistic - and probably
counterproductive integration wise - to place them all in big cities. Still, Danish experience shows that refugees that are placed in rural areas leave them as soon as they are legally entitled to, and I imagine this is basically the case everywhere, so spreading the impact of refugees is not an easy problem to solve, but other studies show that rural immigrants generally do better than the ones that go for the big smoke, dunno if it is the same in Sweden - and it could be due to the sort of people that choose to stay in rural areas.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 12:53:46 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2015, 02:34:06 PM by politicus »

Meanwhile a mosque was attacked with Molotov cocktails in Uppsala, third attack of this type this week. Combined with the different car bombs in Malmo (see Nordic general thread), seems like right-wing terrorism is becoming a serious threat in Sweden.

It has been for decades, but that is not (or at least only indirectly) related to the topic in this thread. Cases like the one Tender described affects ordinary people's view of refugees and increase the support of SD - but are not the cause of right wing terrorism. That Sweden has a strong Neo-Nazi environment with a substantial capacity for violence is well known.

EDIT: Not saying the timing of the attacks is a coincidence, it clearly isn't, just that the Neo-Nazi terror problem is older than SD.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »

Right-wing extremists these days are more subtle/reserved here, ridiculing Muslims and mosques - rather than blowing them up or setting them on fire like in Sweden:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.thelocal.at/20141227/pigs-head-nailed-to-mosque-door-in-vienna

Now you are derailing your own thread.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:05:08 PM »

Sure, but we are still getting further and further away from the original topic of refugee  expectations/refugee policy/integration/traffickers and their promises etc. which is a lot more interesting to discuss than this terrorism/attack stuff.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »

Well, it's normal than they complain. Swedes are moving out of those rural areas because it's rural, empty without jobs or activities. What the hell would they do there, in fact?

When people leave an area, the solution isn't to force immigrants to move there, it's to increase the attraction of that area.

There is a principal difference between immigrants and refugees. If you seek refuge from oppression and persecution you are supposed to be grateful to the ones that offer you sanctuary. If not, they tend to get suspicious that you are really not persecuted, but just another economic immigrant and then you got the conflict.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »

There is also a difference between asylum seekers and refugees.
Asylum seeker is the status you have before being admitted as a refugee, when your case is being investigated. Under international law, refugees must basically be treated as legal migrants (freedom of movement, right to housing, employment, etc.).

International law is more murky on asylum seekers, and while in theory they not supposed to be detained, you can get the same result for example by sending on an island or in a remote village surrounded by snow.

True, but that is not what the Swedes are doing. It is just cheaper for them to send asylum seekers to low cost areas and it takes some of the pressure away from the cities. The right to housing after being granted refugee status does not entitle you to a flat in a city, it might as well be a house in a village. Also refugees have the right to seek employment, but they are not guaranteed work (and doing so would really fire up animosity in the host community) .
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 08:34:33 PM »

Sweden Democrats are rising because asylum seekers refuse to get out of the bus?  I'm sorry but I fail to see the logic here.

The logic is fairly obvious. There is a clear expectation among ordinary people that if asylum seekers are truly persecuted they will be grateful for sanctuary and protection and not start by demanding certain privileges (like stayng in a large town). If people suspect asylum seekers are really economic migrants looking for the good life they get hostile towards refugees and are more inclined to vote for anti-immigration parties. It does not matter if it is a "good reason" to do so. It is what happens.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »

Asylum seekers complaining/not winding up where they expected leads to voting SD? I don't get the causality here.

That causality has been explained thoroughly earlier in this thread.

Let the asylum seekers complain even if they aren't in the right.

Remember that this is a normative statement and therefore not relevant for an analysis of the topic at hand.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 07:28:45 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2015, 07:36:43 AM by politicus »

Thirdly, I think politicus should maybe tone down the policing of what is allowed or not allowed to be said in threads. It comes off as a bit arrogant. Tongue

I have made no attempt to tell anyone what is allowed to be said. I get frustrated when people do not get certain fundamental facts - especially if I sense that they deliberately feign ignorance - if that is what you are referring to.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »

You just committed the great Atlas sin of necromancy. Wink

This is not a GD about the Sweden Democrats (it would be very unusual to have a GD about a single party). There is a Sweden GD for news like this.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »

You just committed the great Atlas sin of necromancy. Wink

This is not a GD about the Sweden Democrats (it would be very unusual to have a GD about a single party). There is a Sweden GD for news like this.

I wasn't able to find it, for some reason my Atlas search function is barely functional.

All GDs are listed in the stickied General Discussion Threads.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies