Efficient Referenda Amendment (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:56:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Efficient Referenda Amendment (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Efficient Referenda Amendment (Failed)  (Read 2046 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« on: January 01, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »

It failed last year and I believe It s a good idea to let a highly competent member of this forum handle that.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »

I guess you want to strike the first paragraph here, and instead introduce the lower two paragraphs? Because this version of now makes no sense, the first paragraph says something completely different about the same thing as the other two paragraphs....

But I had just copied and pasted the deal that almost passed the senate last year??? (it went down 6-4)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »

I guess you want to strike the first paragraph here, and instead introduce the lower two paragraphs? Because this version of now makes no sense, the first paragraph says something completely different about the same thing as the other two paragraphs....

But I had just copied and pasted the deal that almost passed the senate last year??? (it went down 6-4)

Ah yeah, I just missed the "or", sorry from my side here.
Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »

I don t see the problem with the IDS?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:06:03 AM »

Amendment is friendly.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »

I m ready!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »

Can someone just explain to me what the purpose of this is quickly?
The constitutional amendment are currently admibistred by the governors: many problems happened because of that in the past.
With this amendement, it would be the responsibility of homely!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »

AYE
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »

By a vote of 6-0-1 this amendment has passed the senate and is sent to the regions for ratification

Aye: Bore, Cranberry, TNF, Lief, Cris, Windjammer,

Abstain: Yankee

Not Voting: Polnut, Bacon King, SWE
It hasn't passed bore.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »

I object.

Sorry, this is gross. Bacon King failed to vote in time. I don't see why we should stop "senate rules" for this case. If we start stoping the senate rules for this case, maybe we should have done that for JCL when he switched his votes to Nay during the protecting people from explosives amendment?

I sponsored this amendment, sadly it failed because 3 senators didn't vote in time, but that's the rules.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »

Since senator windjammer has objected a vote is now open on whether to override the speaker, 1/3rd of the vote is needed to do so. Senators may vote aye nay or abstain
Just a question an Aye= overriding your decision? Or this is the Nay?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 06:35:29 PM »

Thank you Tongue.

So, Bore isn't malicious at all by doing that, but I prefer not this case to happen. If a bill dies because some senators forget to vote, this is sad but trying to suspend the rules is much worse. If the rules are suspended this time, it could be for many many other cases. For example, when JCL wished to switch his vote during the "protecting people from explosives amendment" after the deadline, if Bore suspends the rules for Efficient Referenda Amendment, I guess JCL could have requested to suspend the rules for his case too?

Rules can be boring, but if we start not respecting them, this will be chaos and there is nothing worse than chaos and anarchy. That's why I strongly urge the other senators to vote AYE on overriding Bore's actions as speaker.

AYE
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »

Nay

Don't worry windjammer, there are no hard feelings, and i completely understand why you are doing this.

Basically I would not have done this if the vote was 5-3 and Bacon King then voted after the deadline, because then the bill has failed because the vote was not at the right time. I am doing this on the advice of the supreme court to avoid a legal debate over whether a 2/3rds majority of voting senators or a 2/3rds majority of all sitting senators  is needed to pass an amendment. I think it is a majority of voting senators because of what I believe the constitution says and what I think is the most equitable solution, the one our founders will have intended, namely that given this reading, abstentions are not no votes by another name but actual abstentions.
I know there are no bad feelings behind this decision. But I would prefer a court case rather than this situation. Tongue I don't like suspending the rules.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »

Oh and the Founding Fathers didn't want women to have a vote Bore. So that's not an argument Tongue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies