What's your excuse for not being in a relationship?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:32:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your excuse for not being in a relationship?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Typical question from relatives
OKCupid profile contains phrase "as a committed psephologist..."

Saving oneself for Kirsten Gillibrand/Justin Trudeau/attractive politico

The chat-up line "so did you stay up for the local by-elections in Hungary?"

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: What's your excuse for not being in a relationship?  (Read 26696 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »

Don't get me wrong Sim, I'm not some decadent hedonist like our, err, friend here. I just try and keep all things casual so I don't have annoyances like arguments or drama or introducing people to relatives.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2015, 04:58:43 PM »

No, this guy predates the Jewish boyfriend I referenced. I never considered my involvement with him to be anything more than a fling.

Ironically, for anyone who knows my extreme Catholic past, the guys I've dated over the years have been disproportionately Jewish, which I suppose is a natural product of living in New York City.

And yes, I am an alumnus of Xavier High School, which I showed him since the restaurant we ate at was so close in Chelsea. He and his friend Cassie were very curious to know about Catholic school and what it is like, I just said it meant the school was mostly Irish and Italian, but they were remained intrigued and interested in me over going to Catholic schools. Amazing how religion divides people who live in the same city into totally different bubbles.
What year did you graduate? We may have been in school at the same time (we didn't know each other, but still).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2015, 04:59:58 PM »

Don't get me wrong Sim, I'm not some decadent hedonist like our, err, friend here. I just try and keep all things casual so I don't have annoyances like arguments or drama or introducing people to relatives.

I can sympathise. If I had a girlfriend you can't imagine the lengths I'd go to conceal that from my family.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »

I don't really like gay guys my age, and all the gay guys I do like (and who like me) range in age from 28 to 47.  I can't take that home to momma. 
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »

No, this guy predates the Jewish boyfriend I referenced. I never considered my involvement with him to be anything more than a fling.

Ironically, for anyone who knows my extreme Catholic past, the guys I've dated over the years have been disproportionately Jewish, which I suppose is a natural product of living in New York City.

And yes, I am an alumnus of Xavier High School, which I showed him since the restaurant we ate at was so close in Chelsea. He and his friend Cassie were very curious to know about Catholic school and what it is like, I just said it meant the school was mostly Irish and Italian, but they were remained intrigued and interested in me over going to Catholic schools. Amazing how religion divides people who live in the same city into totally different bubbles.
What year did you graduate? We may have been in school at the same time (we didn't know each other, but still).

Class of 2008, I still remember my graduation in Saint Patrick's Cathedral like it was yesterday. What year did you graduate?  
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »

Are you two mating?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2015, 05:21:33 PM »

Yes, telling each other what year we graduated high school constitutes sexual intercourse. Right here on the Atlas Forum, which is supposed to be kid-friendly!

My gosh this forum really has gone to the prudes....
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2015, 05:44:25 PM »

My gosh this forum really has gone to the prudes....

Oh, no, not this again.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »

I graduated in 2013, so I started the year after you left. Small world. Smiley

No, but if you still need help on that subject, there's still plenty of literature out there.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »

I think it's too late.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »

I graduated in 2013, so I started the year after you left. Small world. Smiley

No, but if you still need help on that subject, there's still plenty of literature out there.

Indeed, I took a look at his advice and it seems right on point:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »

this PUA thing is super weird. Beyond it being super y'know misogynistic and creepy, the vast majority of people can, err, talk to the opposite gender and *gasp* sleep with them without these dumb mind games.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2015, 06:22:49 PM »

this PUA thing is super weird. Beyond it being super y'know misogynistic and creepy, the vast majority of people can, err, talk to the opposite gender and *gasp* sleep with them without these dumb mind games.

That, and all those betas have a weird hang-up on things like "emotional fulfillment". What idiots, am I right? Everyone knows women are just lubricated holes that exist mostly for a man’s sexual pleasure.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »

That, and all those betas have a weird hang-up on things like "emotional fulfillment". What idiots, am I right? Everyone knows women are just lubricated holes that exist mostly for a man’s sexual pleasure.

I get the sense with those sort of statements, they seem to believe people will gasp in astonishment and say "Oh gosh, did you hear that? How frightfully edgy! This person sure says interesting things!"; when in fact they just sound gross.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »

You don't actually have to read all of those books if you want to get laid lol. I just posted that link in jest since you seemed to enjoy his other works.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2015, 07:39:56 PM »

You don't actually have to read all of those books if you want to get laid lol. I just posted that link in jest since you seemed to enjoy his other works.

I did?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »

I have no good excuse :/
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2015, 08:33:52 PM »

I haven't quite found the person I want to settle down with yet and I have enough great semi-casual partners to keep me happy in the meantime.

Also, that disgusting PUA sh*t has no place here.

There's a weird thing going on with all that. See, PUAs are broadly correct in that most women do find confidence attractive in a man and also in that confidence in yourself is a healthy thing. The weird turn they take is the assumption that you must be a jerk to others and treat other people like sh*t in order to have confidence. Fundamentally, that is just a way to pretend at having confidence while not really having it. So, apart from being morally reprehensible it's also not something you really need.

Those of you who struggle with this, remember that you're young (assuming you are Tongue ) and that things get easier with time. And play to your strengths. Find the types of women who will appreciate your good sides and go for that. And find women that you like and who suits you rather than what you think society expects you to like.

It's okay to be a a bit of a dork and a bit of an introvert. And you don't have to look like a model either.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2015, 08:41:15 PM »

Well, for most years, it was just that I was fat and ugly. I'm still fat and ugly, but at least I'm not lonely.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »

I have a boyfriend in spite of all my previous excuses for not having one, so I think you guys should end up fine.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2015, 01:07:05 AM »

I think I am in one and I just didn't know it till this weekend. I just don't know if I want to stay in it. I like the girl but I feel like I have a lot more I need to worry about right now aside from a relationship, and she's really wanting to get serious.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2015, 01:09:41 AM »

I have a boyfriend in spite of all my previous excuses for not having one, so I think you guys should end up fine.
Ah so you are another lucky one, how long have you two been together?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:59 AM »

Just since September. I was mostly a closet case until then, too. So the last six months have definitely been transformative for me in a lot of ways. We met on Grindr and both of us are studying education at the same university, which has been awesome. I don't know how much time boyfriends are "supposed" to spend together, but we pretty much hang out every day, haha. We've had some rough times, but now we're at the stage where we're completely honest with each other, so we don't seem to have issues come up as often. I love him dearly.

But maybe talking about how happy I am in this particular thread isn't the most sensitive thing. Tongue
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2015, 01:37:13 AM »

Just since September. I was mostly a closet case until then, too. So the last six months have definitely been transformative for me in a lot of ways. We met on Grindr and both of us are studying education at the same university, which has been awesome. I don't know how much time boyfriends are "supposed" to spend together, but we pretty much hang out every day, haha. We've had some rough times, but now we're at the stage where we're completely honest with each other, so we don't seem to have issues come up as often. I love him dearly.

But maybe talking about how happy I am in this particular thread isn't the most sensitive thing. Tongue

Ah you go to school together, just like the other guy in this thread who has boyfriends regularly, Lebron. It's such a major advantage to go to a university filled with similarly-aged people where you're bound to find genuine guys you can relate to and that you see regularly.

As opposed to the real world, where Grindr will introduce you to complete strangers who often turn out to be creeps and sometimes even rapists.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2015, 01:43:40 AM »

Ah you go to school together, just like the other guy in this thread who has boyfriends regularly, Lebron. It's such a major advantage to go to a university filled with similarly-aged people where you're bound to find genuine guys you can relate to and that you see regularly.

As opposed to the real world, where Grindr will introduce you to complete strangers who often turn out to be creeps and sometimes even rapists.

I see what you mean, but it can also be negative in that graduation is a thing. I'm not looking forward to the end of the school year... I mean, we'll keep it together for a bit, but if we end up in different cities, then it's pretty obvious what's going to happen. Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies