Lott says senators can't win 2008 presidential nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:47:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Lott says senators can't win 2008 presidential nomination
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lott says senators can't win 2008 presidential nomination  (Read 1199 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2005, 09:10:34 PM »

From The Hill:

Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.), one of the most seasoned political observers in Congress, says that even his most ambitious colleagues — including Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) and Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) — don’t have the right stuff to win the White House.

“I don’t think any senator can win the nomination,” Lott told The Hill in a wide-ranging luncheon interview. “If they get the nomination, they won’t be elected president.” In fact, he said the only way a senator could be elected president is if both parties nominate a senator.

“I don’t think senators make good candidates, actually, because of what we do. If you’re in the Senate for 10 or 15 years, there’s a good chance you’ve voted on both sides of every issue” — something that can be exploited in campaign television ads, as it was to the detriment of the Democrats’ 2004 candidate, Sen. John Kerry, Lott said.

Lott made his comments at a time when Frist and Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), and others are considering presidential bids. He said the nominee is likely to be a current or former governor or big-city mayor. He mentioned Gov. Mitt Romney (Mass.) and even Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour as possible Republican nominees.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 09:29:02 PM »

I would certainly hope he's right. We don't need a senator in the White House. We need a governor who's willing to cut spending and close the border.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 10:21:19 PM »

I would certainly hope he's right. We don't need a senator in the White House. We need a governor who's willing to cut spending and close the border.

Amen!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 10:26:06 PM »

You mean like what some people expected from Gov. Bush? Wink
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 01:11:16 AM »

Yes, exactly.  I've been very disapointed with President Bush on spending and the borders.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 11:01:53 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hmmm...I wonder who that might be referring to? Wink

Generally speaking, big-city mayors are arguably in a much worse position than senators.  I realize Lott's point that voting records can't be picked apart with mayors.  But the fact is that mayors' support is much more localized, and they lack the state-wide support that a governor or senator can easily pick up.  In Giuliani's case, even his own city wouldn't really provide much of a base for him.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 12:04:26 PM »

Yes, exactly.  I've been very disapointed with President Bush on spending and the borders.

Yeah. That's why I voted for Peroutka since Bush and Kerry are both wrong on spending and wrong on immigration.
MissCatholic

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 12:48:26 PM »

Bushs spending has been an absolute disgrace. but the fact that republicans tolerate it even makes more closer to becoming an ultra liberal.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 12:57:03 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2005, 01:02:03 PM by phknrocket1k »

Bushs spending has been an absolute disgrace. but the fact that republicans tolerate it even makes more closer to becoming an ultra liberal.

The GOP is just a personality-cult centered around Bush, they have no principles, no nothing in reality. They just do whatever he does.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 05:21:24 PM »

Huh? makes what "closer to becoming an ultra liberal"?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies